Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last night, Sunday 25th.

Options
  • 26-04-2004 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

What a shame. It was a good game. But coming 3rd when there are only 2 tickets is frustrating indeed. Nice to have met some of you face to face anyway, then we were all at the final table together. I was the short stack against last 2 after a called bluff and after them both winning hands over chip leader (Harry?). I was making a good come back until I hit top pair on flop and go all in, Devore calls and flips over A's. Ah well.

I was asking my friend on the way home, would he prefer to be me (coming 3rd for free, no buy in/top up) or him, coming 20th or so and spending €20. He said being him. How about yourselves?

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I did both! :) After winning the ticket I went on to play the 20-in and found my head a total mess going back to playing with 1000 chips instead of like 40,000!
    Made an appallingly bad attempt at a bluff at someone who obviously had the shaggin goods and walked. Ah well, at least I won a ticket. Sorry about those aces, they were the hand I was waiting to bust you with :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just reading back over my post, it doesn't sound clear. My friend meant he would be more peed being me then being him.

Waiting for aces. That's high hopes. I was climbing back up, I wonder what would have happened if you didn't get them, I would have been happy just killing off the two of you and you'd both be all in on the blinds at the same time and you both happen to get 44o and I get 63o and 55552 comes on table and I win with a high 6. That would be true beauty.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Heheh.. and you say that waiting for Aces is a long shot? :)

I think you missed something in my play though. Mostly I put the other guy on the spot to call and play against you while I hunkered down and stole the blinds once a round... I didnt lose any chips from when we went upstairs. To be honest I didnt care which of you took lumps out of the other one... I'd have turned on which ever of you was the loser ;)
    (do you recall him complaining that I was supposed to be targetting you when I reraised him at one point? I told him I needed to make chips when I could! :) )

You made a valiant attempt to come back from a desperate situation but it was only a matter of time before you walked into one of us

I wasnt specifically waiting for a pair of aces but you showed a great deal of desire to go all in so I played tight and passive... if you recall it was you who went all in against my aces, not me going all in first! You should have been worried when I bet 1000 (?) which you went over the top of... I hadnt shown any great desire to give you my chips though with top pair you had a right to reraise.... I wouldnt have reraised all in, I'd have gone maybe 3000 to put it up to me... in the case in question I'd have reraised all in and you might have walk away cursing a 4K loss (or you might have gone for it with top pair, hard to say). Still, you'd have had a decision!!

Still, I made a far worse call in the 20-in though, let me tell you!!

DeV.

As you said yourself, I had desire to go all in, I had top pair, which in that situation is good, but you had A's. If you had 2nd highest pair, I think you may have still called with my play. Again, I also don't know.

Who was the other guy? Is he from boards?

If I had had 2nd top pair on that rag flop and you went all-in I'd have dropped it like 3rd-period double-physics. In fact I probably wouldnt have played the hand in the first place. Yer man was playing loose so I was playing tight to try and trap with something....
    The other guy seemed intent on doubling you through so at one point I checked your chips on the sly to make sure I was gunning for the right guy still!! :)

I think he was a friend of Davey Devils... seemed a decent skin!

DeV.

• Advertisement

You need to play more heads up. Get a deck of cards tonight, deal yourself and imaginary friend 2 cards, flip 5, see how many times high card wins. Heads up is completely different.

I wouldnt stake all my chips and a ticket on a high card... nor would you. If I have mid pair (remember the flop came 6 high) and if you reraised my initial raise of 1000 bet, I'd most likely drop the hand rather then double you through. You could be slow playing a pair or have top pair or a flush draw or a straight draw (the board had a possible straight too though it was very unlikely). Against these AA's can stand up to the first two and has better pot odds then the second two. But second highest pair is busted by the first two and so I'd drop mid-pair but call on Aces... its straightforward math.

With me acting first and betting out (I think it was 1000) what did you think I was trying to do? Win 1000? Push you off the hand? The 1000 bet should have rung warning bells of a milking bet to induce something more over the top.

I dunno, I think we have to agree to differ.

DeV.

It's not all about math. As I said in another post, I'd love to call Normans all in with a high 9 or something sussing that he was waiting for a low straight and missed it and with the aggression in the hand, he went all in. I'd love to make a call like that. In heads up, It will happen. I play allot of heads up. Most expensive heads up I've played was a €20 tournament. Like when I got that 4 on the river in the hand downstairs when there were 4 of us left or so. I raised 2K becayse I knew you would call it and I knew I had the best hand. We could be discussing this forever. It was a good game all the same, especially for free, no buy in or top ups:) good luck in Thursdays tournament.

Aye, like I said its debateable if you even made a mistake. If so, it wasnt a biggun'!
    You ran into Aces which is an animal hand heads up. I slow played them to try and end the game there and then and it worked... if you had two pair I was crucified (though I didnt think so on that flop).
    It was just bad luck that you ran into a 1 in 200 odd hand...

DeV.

lets leave it at that huh? It was bad luck. hehe. Look forward to playing with you all again anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement