Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mail server problem

Options
  • 26-04-2004 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

not sure if this is the right place but what the heck

hey

just wondering if anyone can have a look at this problem i'm having. i have attached the basic layout of my home network. when i go to collect my mail at home i have to put in a private ip yet when i'm on the road i have to put in my public ip. surely there is a way that i can just collect my mail by using th public ip, but i just can't seem to figure it out. any help much appreciated

Trev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

the way I got around this is by having my domain name pointing to my external address, and the router/firewall (Netgear DG814) redirects some ports (25 - mail, 80 - http, 110 - pop3 and 443 - secure) to the internal address. On the internal network on all the machines I edit the hosts file so the name points to the internal ip address of the mail server....

So to answer your question ...open the hosts file (xp keeps it in \windows\system32\drivers\etc) on your internal machines and put external-address<-space->internal-address in on a new line. .... worth a try anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

cheers but i already tryed that and adding routes to it but for some reason it ain't working just though there might be some other way

Advertisement