Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry wins PFA player of the year again

• 26-04-2004 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Henry has won the PFA player of the year for the second time in a row. Scott Parker won the young player of the year. The PFA team of the year is:

Howard (Man Utd); Lauren (Arsenal), Campbell (Arsenal), Terry (Chelsea), Cole (Arsenal); Gerrard (Liverpool), Lampard (Chelsea), Vieira (Arsenal), Pires (Arsenal); Henry (Arsenal), van Nistelrooy (Man Utd).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hardly a surprise really, the guy is pure class!! Well deserved.

The team looks fair enough apart from maybe one player, van Nistlerooy. I would've of put either Shearer, Saha or Forsell in ahead of him.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

RVN deserves his place in there, but Lauren at right back? I think he has had a very patchy season, certainly compared to last year. Although in fairness, I'm struggling to think of right backs that have had outstanding seasons...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ruud van nistelrooy hasnt scored in the league since 19th feb and only 2 all year so please tell me how he could possibly make that team. And tim howard as well.he played well at start of season but then got dropped. Dont think he should be in there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

afaik the votes are taken in January so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Think its actually Febraury - but thats the big gripe with it. It should be sone after the season is over. Remember how Ginola won it on the back of a few big performance around the time the votes happened a few seasons back.

Agree theres no way Lauren (or Cole) should be there. Would agree with the rest though. Theres far better full backs. Wayne Bridge should have got left back and Samuel right back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭toffeeman

Howard and is a surprise alright. Would have thought Kiely was in with a good shout there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

Yeah i've a gripe with a few players there alrite first off howard, he had a great start to the season but didnt remain consistent enough if the votes were as early as January i can see why he got it but over the season i think Niemi has been superb. Wat Ashley Cole and Lauren are doing there baffles me really Bridge ahs been better then Cole this season or as someone already said Samuel has done pretty well. I think Forsell deserves to be there instaed of RVN probably cos im a liverpool supporter.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Originally posted by robbie1876
    Howard (Man Utd); Lauren (Arsenal), Campbell (Arsenal), Terry (Chelsea), Cole (Arsenal); Gerrard (Liverpool), Lampard (Chelsea), Vieira (Arsenal), Pires (Arsenal); Henry (Arsenal), van Nistelrooy (Man Utd).

Not a bad side :D

I'd put Given instead of Howard - can't really argue with the rest - maybe Shearer instead of Van Nistelrooy

It is the PFA 'player of the year' and 'team of the year', in otherwords for 2003. RVN had a good run in to last season, as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Personally I think Scott Parker being "Young Player of the Year" is a joke too. How many games has he played since January? About 4, I would say. I admit he was playing well with Charlton, but John Terry has been far superior in his position, in my opinion.

Whatever about the full-backs, that's still some team. I wouldn't like to be playing against them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Irish players: Andy Reid was named the best left sided midfielder in division 1, Graham Coughlan was named the best centre half in division 2 and Lee Trundle voted the best centre forward in division 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

fair play to henry fully deserved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Iand Lee Trundle voted the best centre forward in division 3.
    Hs he declared for Rep of Ireland?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by mr_angry
    Personally I think Scott Parker being "Young Player of the Year" is a joke too. How many games has he played since January? About 4, I would say. I admit he was playing well with Charlton, but John Terry has been far superior in his position, in my opinion.

And like many have said, the votes are cast early in the year, January or February at the latest. So its on the basis of his performances for Charlton that he's there.

Still doesn't deserve it though.

Originally posted by mike65
    Hs he declared for Rep of Ireland?
    yep.:)

Originally posted by therecklessone
    And like many have said, the votes are cast early in the year, January or February at the latest. So its on the basis of his performances for Charlton that he's there.

Still doesn't deserve it though.

As you've said yourself, he's being judged by his performances for Charlton which were phenomenal!! He totally deserves to be there on those merits!!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I rate Duff ahead of Pires,
    I don't know about Lampard tbh, but then again I can barely remember form pre december so :)

Originally posted by PHB
    I rate Duff ahead of Pires
    Duff hasn't exactly set the world alight since he came back from his injury. Pires has scored 19 (?) goals this season.

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    As you've said yourself, he's being judged by his performances for Charlton which were phenomenal!! He totally deserves to be there on those merits!!

B.

Don't agree I'm afraid. Terry has been phenomenal this season, all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

I would agree with the bulk of that team, apart from Van Nist where I'd probably sub in Alan Shearer- not my favourite player by any means but he has had a better season imo.
    Would have to disagree with the calls for Bridge to be ahead of Cole - I don't think you'll find any Arsenal fans who would swap them ;)
    Duff would have had a shout without the persistent injuries and that policy of constant rotation but he would still have been hard pressed to get in ahead of Bobby Pires who has kept up the creative side of his game while scoring more goals than the vast majority of strikers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

First of all, well done Terry Henry, he deserved the accolade.

Now on to the "Team of the Year".

Howard (Man Utd) - Decent start to the season, but was quickly dropped by Ferguson after a few below par performances. There were better 'keepers this season in the Premier League, namely Dean Kiely and Niemi.

Lauren (Arsenal) - At right back I can't think of another candidate, so yeah, I'd agree with this selection.

Campbell (Arsenal) - If Rio Ferdinand had have played for the whole season he would have been in with a shout ( until his suspension, United had the best defensive record in the League ).

Terry (Chelsea) - Very good season, should have won the young player award, good shout for the second centre-half position.

Cole (Arsenal) - I'd have Jloyd Samuel in here, he was the best left back in the League this season ( IMO ). Fair enough, Cole was on the League winning team, but he can be sometimes caught out of position.

Gerrard (Liverpool) - I don't really know what sort of midfield they had in mind, but isn't Steve Gerrard a central midfielder?

Lampard (Chelsea) - Has probably been the best central-attacking midfielder in the League this season, good choice.

Vieira (Arsenal) - Good choice for midfield boss, no-one can really touch him at the moment.

Pires (Arsenal) - Yep, best left winger in the League season.

Henry (Arsenal) - Goes without saying really, one of the best strikers in the World at the minute.

van Nistelrooy (Man Utd) - A couple of strikers have performed better than Ruud this year, namely Shearer, Forsell and perhaps Louis Saha. I'd have Shearer in this team ahead of van Nistelrooy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

first time in a good few years there's been no irish players on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Congratulations.He had a very good season and he deserved it.He has been the best striker in the premiership by far this season

The team is fair enough but am surprised with one or two players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Not an arsenal fan but was delighted for henry he was in a class of his own this season and was on par with any other of the worlds great strikers. glad to see lampard on the list he has really proven himself to be world class material. he is englands best midfielder after scholes imo.

But parker getting the young player award was a joke. he hasnt properly established himself in the chelesa team.Ranieri plays him out of postion just for the sake of accomodating him. the only chance he`ll get to play in his proper CM postion is if lampard is unavailable.

Terry should of undoubtably got it. he`s proven himself to be able to perform at the highest level amongst a team of established multi million pound players. the fact that chelsea have not signed a central defender since the abramovich takeover is a great testament to john terry.

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    the fact that chelsea have not signed a central defender since the abramovich takeover is a great testament to john terry.

Or a sign that Chelsea will follow the example of los galacticos...

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

I though Maik Taylor should have been in with a shout for the 'keeper spot. Best 'keeper this season imo. Amount of games he won for Birmingham!

I was shocked too that Ronaldo didn't get nominated for the young player award. He didn't deserve to win it imo but he should have been in with a shout at least cause hes one of the most exciting players to come to the league in the past few seasons, possibly even since Henry came!?

Originally posted by seansouth
    Howard (Man Utd) - Decent start to the season, but was quickly dropped by Ferguson after a few below par performances. There were better 'keepers this season in the Premier League, namely Dean Kiely and Niemi.

IIRC the reason why he was dropped was to rest him because he had just come from playing a full season in the States to playing at the highest level in the Premiership. Fergie reckoned he was mentally exhausted. And by the time he was dropped/rested the votes had already been cast. So I think the problem is not with who the awards go to but when the votes are cast, too early in the season in IMO. Goalkeeper wise (judging performance over the whole season) Van der Sar and Taylor would've been in with a shout IMO.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

holy shìt, this amount of posts and not a single moan that RVN or ronaldo didnt win!
    Proof that the new forum is working :)

Henry thouroughly deserves it, pity kolo didnt get into the team tho :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeah dustaz, of course posts like that never causeany trouble do they :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Am I the only person who feels sorry for RVN? I was watching the awards on SS last night and when they called out Henry in the team of the year he got the biggest cheer of the night but when RVN got called out he was booed (by his fellow proffesionals).

BTW - If Shearer was a nominee for player of the year, why wasn't he even in the team of the year?

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Am I the only person who feels sorry for RVN? I was watching the awards on SS last night and when they called out Henry in the team of the year he got the biggest cheer of the night but when RVN got called out he was booed (by his fellow proffesionals).

I didn't see the awards. Why was he booed? I wouldn't ask if it was the public, but by professionals?? Why?

B.

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    I didn't see the awards. Why was he booed? I wouldn't ask if it was the public, but by professionals?? Why?

B.
    TBH there wasn't many boos. It was probably a few of the Arsenal players but it would more than likely be a few division 1 players or something. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

maybe hes actually a cnut , is that so hard to believe?

Originally posted by Dustaz
    maybe hes actually a cnut , is that so hard to believe?
    It is hard to believe. I actually think he is one of the nicest footballers in the game TBH. If a player like Robbie Savage was booed I wouldn't have a problem.

Well there is talk that he has had a training ground bust-up with Davbid Bellion so maybe not that nice a character..
    Tbh though, I woiuld be shocked if it was non tounge-in-cheek booing from fellow professionals.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by elbow316
    Well there is talk that he has had a training ground bust-up with Davbid Bellion so maybe not that nice a character..
    Tbh though, I woiuld be shocked if it was non tounge-in-cheek booing from fellow professionals.
    There was rumours that Henry had a bust up with Lauren too.;)

hehe ;)

Why was he booed?
    The crowd were chanting "Ruuuud.....ruuuuuuuuud...."

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by robbie1876
    The crowd were chanting "Ruuuud.....ruuuuuuuuud...."

:P

thats like what they chant for Forlan..

shhhhiiiittttte...........

its nothing personal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Kolo Toure deserved his place in the team a lot more than Campbell , he has been an Unbeleiveable player for Arsenal this season , and at his age can only get better .

Rvn didnt deserve his place in the team . Shearer was playing the best out of all strikers when the votes were cast so i dont know how he got in .

Henry deserved his award .

Scott Parker didnt deserve young player and it should have gone to John Terry .

• Advertisement
Advertisement