Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds Relegated

• 26-04-2004 10:50am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Okay I finally admit it they are gonna be relegated. cant believe my fav team are goin down. Bring on the miracle and lets win 3 outa 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Not looking good alright after yesterday - I wonder if they regret giving the job to Gray now?

Joe Kinnear at Forest has shown what a good experienced manager can do to drag a team out of trouble I thought it was strange giving the job to Gray

I still can't work it out why a team with quality players like Smith and Vaduka is in danger of going down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Not good enoug in midfield or accross the back. Simply as that. I dont rate Caldwell as a centre half at all, Dubbery isn't exactly a top 10 centre half. In midfield the likes of Matteo, Johnson & Radebe all lack creativity and I think they've been at the hub of the centre midfield for leeds recently, could be wrong. Pennant and Milner are both very creative but are both very young, would be asking alot of them to be winning games week in week out. Viduka saved leeds last season under peter reid, I dont think Gray has had the same infulence that reid had. Been saying it for a while now, leeds were always going down, every other club in that possible 3/4 that could go had a much better squad setup, the likes of city, pompey etc. Liecester had a big squad but not alot of creativity.

Cue the exits from leeds??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by johnor
    Viduka saved leeds last season under peter reid, I dont think Gray has had the same infulence that reid had.

Eh? Viduka hated Reid...

Leeds do look likely contenders, yesterday was the nail in the coffin.

They simply aren't good enough, and I would be very surprised if they managed to get back next year with the squad they have.

Toward the end of last season, Viduka played well under Reid did he not?, I know this season they had their differences but I was saying that Gray didnt get anything out of Viduka, or at least nothing near what reid got out of him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

true gray hasnt got the same out of him but we shouldnt be relying on one player. we have been absolutely rubbish at the back all season and yeah we do lack creativity in the centre but again i thought that was grays fault.

Look at the team that finished the game against portsmouth.we had milner pennant and Mcphail especially who are all creative.also had barmby who did quite well when he came on.Milner should have started up front with barmby on the left and mcphail in the centre. matteo could have played centre back then and leeds would have been more solid and creative.

Gray got it very very wrong and we are going down because of it

• Advertisement

I think leeds were going down long before that game on sunday....

I know you cna trely on just one player, but when you have a player who has preformed at the top and can preform at the top, you expect him to preform at least some of the time, gray didnt get that some of the time from viduka enough. Smith looked as if he was frustrated, I think he knows he would be leaving elland road no matter what happens and he doesnt like that....

Will leeds bounce back??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Like I say, bring him back!

He's learnt to build teams with no money....as I say and should be forgiven by Leeds for all his trespasses ..... like I say .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Harry2001
    I still can't work it out why a team with quality players like Smith and Vaduka is in danger of going down
    :confused: If you saw the West Ham squad that was relegated last year I'm sure you'll work it out. Joe Cole, Freddie Kanoute, Trevor Sinclair, Jermain Defoe, Michael Carrick, Cristian Daily, David James, Glenn Johnston, Les Ferdinand, Paulo Di Canio, Lee Bowyer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭toffeeman

Has Smith long on his contract left? I wonder where he will end up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

viduka has been performing of late.he has got 6 goals in last 8 games and for a team in leeds position thats good. The reason West ham went down was bad management same reason leeds are going down along with alot of players not giving it their all just like smith pointed out. There was no spirit or drive against portsmouth.for the first time all season i was embarrassed to be a fan. They were terrible apart from smith.no desire to win at all.Portsmouth keeper made one save all game.

when he made the subs and brought some actual midfield players leeds looked good but was too little too late.

Smith has 3 years left on his contract but that doesnt really matter because he will have to go because of his wages. leeds wont come straight back up i can see it taking 2 or 3 seasons.If gray is gonna stay he would want to get his act together and start looking at the team tactically. I know the players are to blame too tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

If you look at the games that are left...

Leeds Vs Bolton (away)
    Leeds Vs Charlton (home)
    Leeds Vs Chelsea (away)

Man City Vs Newcastle Utd (home)
    Man City Vs Middlesborough (away)
    Man City Vs Everton (home)

I think that there is still a very slim chance of leeds staying up. Once we dont draw level on points because of our disasterous goal difference. However we need to at least win one and draw one and man city to lose all three. Looking at the fixtures it is possible for man city to lose them. I cant see them winning against newcastle based on the form of both teams. They can maybe pluck a draw at middlesborough and a win from everton. two out of three home games is a plus for them. I dont think we can beat bolton. I think we'd be lucky for a draw. Same again to charlton and *possibly but highly doubtful* a draw against chelsea. Three points from three games isnt good enough tho, there has to be a win and if there was i'd say its to be against charlton.

As for the pompey game, they simply played better than us for the first hour. defensively i think the only one to really play were harte and dubes. Which says a lot really. Smith was in inspired form, you could really see his frustration and annoyance that we played so badly. Pennant was good but not great but i was impressed again with young milner. I really hope we can hold on to him should we not beat the drop. McPhail started to play well towards the end but it was too little too late. Harte's peno was well taken i thought, even if it was a dodgy decision. Hislop seemed to play a blinder, especially against barmby's shot towards the end.

Should leeds drop i dont think we'll be back up straight away. Most i think we could get is a playoff place. It's gonna take a while for the new squad to gel and many of the team will have to learn to cope without players like smith and viduka.

To be honest, after losing 19 games we deserve to be facing relegation. You cant lose that many and hope to be safe.

I'd like to see o'leary back in the fold tbh. The only gripe i have with him is the book. That was a stupid thing to do imo and i think he's learned it. He's done wonderful things at villa and we'd be lucky to have him. Gray i think will be manager next season, providing he gets all the qualifications he needs. I'm not so sure thats a good idea but its not up to me to decide.

Survival is possible but its in our own hands. As a fan i cant count us out yet, call it lily white stained glasses if you will. fingers and toes crossed...

as a fan myself i havent given up hope yet.if they can get a win and a draw anything is possible and untill its mathematically impossible to stay the team should keep believing but baring a miracle we are down.

I cant believe it really coz i have been saying all season that they would stay up and i thought they would but the defence has let us down all season and the injuries of late havent helped either. I really dont think they will stay but havent given up hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I can't see City not winning against Everton, therefore Leeds will need at least 7 points. Its not going to happen.

tbh cant see city winning against anyone at the moment but then again cant see leeds picking up enough points either.

Advertisement