Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rover 45 opinions please

Options
  • 26-04-2004 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

I went to see a Rover 45 at the week end. Silver / Alloys / 02D / Saloon / Sun roof / 10 k on the clock / ex demonstration model. A couple of very small scratches on the back. Dealer had €13,500 on the window, but said they would sell if for €13,000 cash.

Is this a good deal? Is this a good car? I really love the front and sides, the back isn't too bad.

My alternatives are black / silver golfs 00-01 for around the same money. I heard the 45 is about 2 seconds quicker 0-60?

I suppose I would also consider a Ford Focus...

Please help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Rover wouldn't be my first choice of the 3 you listed, probably the oldest car in the list from a technology point of view. If you are interested though, I would be looking to get it for 12000. Cash buyer and time of year (the selling season has passed), I'd be looking to get 10% or more off the sticker price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Look for a Focus. Much better, the 45 is based on a fairly old design /engine now. I urge you to check out a Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thanks very much for your opinions.

I drove some Golfs today, a 00 (which was lovely), and a 01 which was horribly jumpy (don't ask me to explain, I don't know why!!

The 45 looks deadly in silver / alloys etc. I can see it doesn't hold it's value like a Golf!

Golfs on the other hand hold their values, but come with fúck all as standard (no electric windows / cd player / alloys).

I might go see a ford focus so!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not a bad car and standard equipment is very generous. Focus is a much better car to drive though. Are you looking at a 1.4 or a 1.6 Rover 45? Would you consider other cars? You can get a '01 Alfa 156, '00 Audi A3, '98 BMW 318is, '02 Ford Focus, for the same money (€13k) to name but a few ;)

€13k for the '02 is overpriced. I'd expect a mint low mileage '02 45 from a dealer for about €11k to €12k tops including a good warrantee (6 or 12 months)

Also, you can get a '01 Rover 45 for about €9k - seems better value - and you got 4 grand left in your wallet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thanks for the suggestions Unkel. I'm going to avoid the Rover because it seems to lose far too much money every year.

I have to go with a 1.4 for insurance reasons (I'm only 22).

I was told the Focus 1.6 is great but the 1.4 is not, so I'll probably go for the Golf!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

the 1.4 focus is a nice car but has a gutlass engine u really need to drop it down to 3rd to overtake safely at anything over 40mph. also go for the 3dr its looks far better

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by bop1977
    u really need to drop it down to 3rd to overtake safely at anything over 40mph

At 40mph you prolly need to drop to 3rd or even 2nd in most petrol cars
    Originally posted by bop1977
    also go for the 3dr its looks far better

Couldn't agree more. I am regularly amazed how good looking small cars can be with 3 doors compared to how their looks are ruined with 5 doors. Typical examples: old model Micra, Peugeot 206, Focus, Clio, Golf and even the Astra. Generally I feel 4/5 doors only work on large saloons. Best exception of course the Alfa 156 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Run from the 45 and the golfs arent much better there turning into the pasats run for the focus:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I was told the Focus 1.6 is great but the 1.4 is not, so I'll probably go for the Golf
    The Golf 1.4 is no better (in terms of performance) TBH, the 1.4 Golf and Focus are both dog slow. Both have only around 75 bhp in fairly heavy bodies. The old model Renault Megane 1.4 16v is lighter and has 98 bhp, some of the Rovers have 103 bhp, Toyota Corolla 1.4 VVTi has 97 bhp I think.

BrianD3

Advertisement