Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jason Byrne...

• 26-04-2004 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

...is in the Ireland squad. He is in top form for Shelbourne at the moment, and the call-up is well deserved. I hope Brian Kerr gives him a run out, this is a testament to Jason Byrne, Shelbourne Football Club and the eircom League.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I really liked his stand up stuff, but I wasn't mad on his Chat Show on RTE. Never knew he was footballer though! Good Luck to him, his parents must be very proud of him!

B.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

fair play to him but dont think he has the ability for ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Himself and his cousin Robbie Keane might Gel well up front ... He is a bit bigger than Robbie so he might fit in well as a target man to lay off balls to Robbie and Duffer ... He's also good in the air too ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Fair play to my club Bray Wanderers who gave Jason a chance to make his name in the Eircom League. Even if he doesn't get to play it's a great honour for him. Well done Jayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

<football hypocrite example 1>
    Although i happy he was picked i am disappointed with him for staying with Bray for so long ,3 years ago he was outstanding for them and being head hunted by lots of UK teams, he wouldnt leave and even when Pats won the league we tried to sign him every team who has won the league in recent years has tried to sign him but his loyalty to Pat Devlin kept him at Bray.
    I think he could have and maybe still can play Premier League football but should have left years ago.

Its great being a football fan get to be a hypocrite and complain about players not being loyal and when one is I think he was wrong for being loyal :D

Anyway hes not ready for international football but hopefully it get his career moving to a higher level, as hes a class player too good for EL.

Kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Fair play to Kerr for having the guts to throw him in. I just hope he doesnt warm the bench for 85 minutes tomorrow, give him a go when there are so many "injuries" and the game means nothing anyway, let him show what he's got for at least an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

bout time...

this wouldnt have happened with any other manager!

if crowe deserved his call up, then so does byrne.

well done Kerr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by VinnyL
    bout time...

this wouldnt have happened with any other manager!

if crowe deserved his call up, then so does byrne.

well done Kerr

I know a guy who knows a guy...

Plays in the EL.

Has played in the UK.

Says he can't believe people rave about Glen Crowe and he believes that Byrne is infinitely better. Have to agree with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Says he can't believe people rave about Glen Crowe and he believes that Byrne is infinitely better. Have to agree with him.
    I think everyone would agree with that. Crowe has little or no impact on a game but still scores every now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

this is a testament to Jason Byrne, Shelbourne Football Club and the eircom League
    Its a testament to the fact we have feck all strikers, the way the english have feck all left sided midfielders, and a testament to the fact that lots of blokes cant be arsed going all the way to poland for a meaningless friendly in the middle of nowhere :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Yeah, Crowe got his call up after he had peaked, on the back of an eircom League scoring run just like Byrne is in at the moment. There's no way Crowe should be ahead of Byrne in the pecking order at the moment, no matter how far down.
    Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    Its a testament to the fact we have feck all strikers, the way the english have feck all left sided midfielders, and a testament to the fact that lots of blokes cant be arsed going all the way to poland for a meaningless friendly in the middle of nowhere :D

Yeah, I see the big laugh at the end there.

But, Kerr could have easily gone and begged Lee Trundle form the 3rd Division "Team of The YearTM" to go to Poland, but instead he went and asked the current top scorer in our national league to turn up.

I'm under no illusions about the fact that if this was a full international, the closest players like Jason Byrne would get to an Irish international would be in Granny Keane's at five o'clock today with the rest of the family cheering on Robbie.

But it's just nice to see the eircom League getting some small recognition in the national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Great to see Jason Byrne get the call up to the squad alright. 6 goals in 8 games shows he's in form. Hope its not just a PR gesture from Kerr to the National League, and that Byrne will get about 30 mins of action.

Another contender for the call up would have been Paul Heffernan of Notts County. 21 goals this season and third highest scores in the 2nd Division. A great achievement given County are second bottom, and next to useless!

Interesting that Byrne's achievements are deemed to be greater. This is the type of decision that will encourage more youngsters to play National League rather than in the lower divisions across the water.

Incidentally, Heffernan is 22 and from Dublin. Has been with Notts Co for 3 or 4 years, but this is the first season he's had a run in the first team, and he's certainly taken his chance. But he's turned down a new contract, so he'll be off to pastures new in the summer. Bolton, Sheff Wed and Nottm For have all been linked.

Im really sorry, but I really think a lad like that making his way up the ladder over here should be given the experience of being a 'squad man' along for the ride, and a token cap with 5 minutes left and not a league of ireland man..

Like it or not, I think division 1 and even a large part of division 2 are of a higher standard than 95% of the LoI

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND

Like it or not, I think division 1 and even a large part of division 2 are of a higher standard than 95% of the LoI

Sadly thats actually a compliment to the LOI , i always thought LOI as more 3rd division/ conference level.

Kdjac

I think the level of play is better in the confrence than in Div 3 to be honest, interesting to see someone like Shels or Bohs play someone like Yeovil (won confence last year, div 3 playoff place now) or even one of the teams at the top of it now and see what would happen? The crowds are bigger in the confrence than in div 3 on average over all the teams too - there should really be 3 up and 3 down from Div 3 to Confrence as 75% of confrence teams would walk into the playoff's at least..

One poxy minute. What was the point in him being there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Even a minute gives heart and hope to all the Eircom National League players ... a little goes a long way

Originally posted by MrJoeSoap
    One poxy minute. What was the point in him being there?
    Alan Quinn and Michael Doyle didn't get on the pitch. Do you want everyone to get a game? As for the 4 minutes Byrne got on the pitch, at least he made his Ireland debut.

Pre game value €100,000
    After 1 minute on national team €1,000,000

Expensive minute i would think, look at the amount of 2nd rate division 1 players who suddenly found they were irish and near tripled their transfer fees by playing one game.

Hes a full international now, if Des Byrne can get back his fitness and return to form he may get a call up (then Pats get another 275,000 for him :D )

Kdjac

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Pre game value €100,000
    After 1 minute on national team €1,000,000

I seriously doubt that. First of all, he wouldnt have gone for anything near €100,000 before the game, and probably is only worth that now. The eircom league is nowhere near even the lower divisions in England when it comes to money.

Two more goals tonight. Add another €250 to his value.

• Advertisement

I seriously doubt that. First of all, he wouldnt have gone for anything near €100,000 before the game, and probably is only worth that now. The eircom league is nowhere near even the lower divisions in England when it comes to money.
    Blackburn paid over a million for John Stead from division 3. Byrne has to worth more than €100k but Shels would probably accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

John Stead 1.25 million , but in fairness he's class and is an English under 21 international now aswell .

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Blackburn paid over a million for John Stead from division 3. Byrne has to worth more than €100k but Shels would probably accept it.

I didnt mean to say he was only worth €100,000. I just meant to say thats what he'd go for at the current time.

Two more goals tonight. Add another €250 to his value.

Wow what insight , St Pats sold Des Byrne to Wimbledon for 275,000(3 years ago) with a further 100,000 if he made X apps (bastards loaned em out when he got close to X apps)

So 275,000 for a left winger makes 100,000 seem rather cheap for the leagues top scorer.

Also Clinton Morrision Irelands best native striker was being sold for 2 million when he suddenly became an international and went for near 5.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Also Clinton Morrision Irelands best native striker

:D

Jayo scored two against St. Pat's on friday night....hours after arriving back from Poland.

And the Anti-Kerr sentiment in Tolka was unbelievable.

"Brian Kerr is a W***er
    He wears a w***ers hat
    when Jayo went to Poland
    He didn't fancy that
    He played an English bast**d
    And Clinton couldn't score
    He's just a Pat's Kn***er
    F**k off to Inchicore"

Clinton Morrision Irelands best native striker
    Where abouts in Ireland is he from could you tell me :)

Originally posted by seansouth

Jayo scored two against St. Pat's on friday night....hours after arriving back from Poland.

And the Anti-Kerr sentiment in Tolka was unbelievable.

"Brian Kerr is a W***er
    He wears a w***ers hat
    when Jayo went to Poland
    He didn't fancy that
    He played an English bast**d
    And Clinton couldn't score
    He's just a Pat's Kn***er
    F**k off to Inchicore"

Was that all 2 of the Shels fans???

How dare they question God!

kdjac