Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPRS charges / upload\download

Options
  • 26-04-2004 2:12pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just signed up with o2 on a p900 with contract, and got 1mb of gprs traffic per month included with my 'choices add-ons'

What I want to know is, do their charges apply to the sum of uploads AND download traffic, or is it only download that adds to your usage as far as they're concerned?

Also, is GPRS quite possibly the most expensive form of data transfer on the internet? It's shocking!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

It's all traffic and yes, it is ridiculously expensive here when O2 UK have accounts where they simply don't charge for gprs at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by spockety
    Just signed up with o2 on a p900 with contract, and got 1mb of gprs traffic per month included with my 'choices add-ons'

you might want to consider subscribing to a larger GPRS Surf Tariff Plan with a device like that and save your "Choice Option" for something else

Originally posted by spockety
    Also, is GPRS quite possibly the most expensive form of data transfer on the internet? It's shocking!

is it expensive but now you have realised that every Kilobyte of data is costing you money (outside of any monthly allowance) then you can tailor your usage to fit the prices we currently face - at least O2 have a few different packages to choose from - you'd be worse off on Voda with currently only one GPRS option that works out more expensive that O2 prices (Surf 5 and greater)

if you want cheap you should see the amazing deals / bundles in the US compared to here!

pulling down full websites with heavy graphics into the phone's browser will be expensive but instant messaging can be cheap (compared to SMS!), checking email headers not the full mail and downloading on only the ones you need, using the mobile friendly versions of sites (when available) like those listed on www.pdaportal.com

keep an eye on that GPRS Log on the handset (and online with your Account Info) so you don't have any nasty surprises when the bill arrives

BrianG

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by alleepally
    It's all traffic and yes, it is ridiculously expensive here when O2 UK have accounts where they simply don't charge for gprs at all.

I had a Pay as you go package with bolt on package "talk & txt" and for the 5 weeks I was in the UK I wasn't charged 1p for GPRS I downloaded about 5MB :D
    Not a P900 or anything just a Nokia 6100

It sucks being back in Ireland paying 3c per KB to use it on pay as you go now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Ah great, I was going to ring up O2 and ask that very question - I had an idea it would be both uploaded and downloaded data :dunno:

In regards to the UK networks, my understanding is that some network offer free/unlimited WAP over GPRS but it's limited to port 80?

Also, any idea if it's even possible to use GPRS while roaming in the states - or is it best I don't ask about the prices! ;)

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by theothernt

Also, any idea if it's even possible to use GPRS while roaming in the states - or is it best I don't ask about the prices! ;)

Don't think you can to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well, i was quite chuffed initially because i wasn't being charged for gprs acess at all, and with an XDA I was downloading all sorts (email, web, IM) and giggling to myself like a nutcase.

I know someone that works for O2 so I was asking him about it and he told me that occasionally there's a glitch in the system which means you won't get billed for gprs access, so i continued to giggle like a little boy with a new toy, until i checked my credit and 10 euro had disappeared over night. suspected that was the cause, so topped up and downloaded about 20 emails and another 10 quid was gone, so i guess the fun's over.

shame though because of the cost now, it's not even practical to use gprs at all really, unless it's an emergency.

tbh, it would be cheaper for me to use dial up, which is an option i have with the XDA, but it doesn't help the countless others being ripped off for GPRS access.

is this something the neutered puppy known as comreg should be investigating?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by vibe666

is this something the neutered puppy known as comreg should be investigating?

Twould be nice alright... HSCSD would be the perfect alternative if O2 offered the service.

Originally posted by theothernt

O2 have a GPRS roaming agreement with AT&T Wireless which I used with my contract O2 account - came in quite hand on my last trip when out of hot spot range

be sure to check the latest pricing though with their Internet/WAP support team, plus the minimum connection / billing increment (block size)

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Thanks for the information Brian :)

- Neil

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Can't seem to find any GPRS info on the o2 "My Account" section..

It's also telling me I have over 55 Euro free call value remaining this month.
    WTF?

I signed up for choices 5 at 15 Euro a month with 5 Euro free calls..
    Granted I had about a tenner or so on my Speakeasy account before changing
    over.. but where is this 56 Euro of free calls coming from?

• Advertisement

when your sessions 'rate' to the billing system they should appear in your online account info e.g.

o2_account_online_gprs.gif

you can also use the GPRS Data Counter on you handset as a guide to your usage (as long as you reset it at the appropriate billing cycle date)

O2 customer support should be able to help you out with the free call value query

BrianG

Advertisement