Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSOP Format Announced

Options
  • 26-04-2004 2:29pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Boards Series of Poker (BSOP)

The following is the format for the BSOP. It is expected that all members who have registered to play will endeavour to participate where possible. The drawings for the monthly qualifiers are based on the registered numbers so even a few withdrawls can cause a problem

If you cannot continue to participate please inform me.

The BSOP will start in May and run for eight months (May-Dec). Each month there will be three qualifying tournaments held on different nights. These three qualifiers will be made up from the registered players - every player getting to participate in one qualifier per month. It is envisaged that there will be a qualifier each week for the first 3 weeks of every month. With the final onthe final week of the month.

The top 3 players from each qualifier will progress to the monthly BSOP final. These players will fight it out for the monthly BSOP title and a share in the prize pool. Each of the 9 finalists will recieve BSOP points which accumulate throughout the eight months. The 9 players with the highest points totals will play in the the BSOP World Series final in January. Where there is a tie on points the player with the most BSOP monthly titles will progress. If there is still a tie then a mini tournament will determine the outcome.

The entry fee for each month is €25. €20 goes into the monthly prize pool and €5 goes into the BSOP World Series final in January. The prize breakdown is 50%, 30%, 20% of the total prize pool.

Both the BSOP monthly tournaments and the BSOP World Series final are freeze-out tournaments - you get 3000 in chips and there are no rebuys.

There are 29 players registered giving a prize pool for each monthly BSOP of €580 and a BSOP World Series pool of €1160 - providing everyone plays every month.

There will be 2 qualifiers of 10 players and a qualifier of 9 players every month.

There is no restriction if the individual players of a qualifier want to have their own seperate prize pool for that qualifier alone. The only stipulation is that the correct entry free for the BSOP is collected and passed on.

I am looking for venues to host the monthly qualifiers and the monthly final. If anyone can lend their home etc for this purpose then let me know.

Again if you feel that you cannot commit to the format above, please contact me so that we can remove you from the competition.

The first drawings will be made this week and posted up on the site - best of luck to everyone.

Hyzepher

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is gonna rock!!! *ahem*

I'll talk to my flatmates and see if we can serve as a location for you once a month on a regular night like... that would be handy (for me as well as you :))

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I have decided to give each of the monthly BSOP tournies an unique name. This is so we can crown the winner in a more official way.

May : Boards.ie Open 2004 (Boards Open Champion)
    June : Online Championship 2004 (Online Champion)
    July : Summer Festival 2004 (Summer Festival Champion)
    August : Poker Masters 2004 (Poker Masters Champion)
    Sept : King of Kings 2004 (King of Kings Champion)
    Oct : FNWAI Open 2004 (FNWAI Open Champion) *FNWAI - Fold, No wait all in
    Nov : No-Limit Showdown 2004 (NL Showdown Champion)
    Dec : Winter Festival 2004 (Winter Festival Champion)
    Jan : World Series Final 2004 (World Series Champion)

This should add a little spice to the competition as the titles will be held for 1 year by each of the winners. They might even choose to add it to their sig or tag.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I have my finals from the 4th - 11th May, so I'll be unable to compete during that time period. After that I'm a free man for life to play poker as I please. Hope you can put me in one of the later qualifiers if that's ok. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

You can put me down as a venue. Friday or Saturday only please.

MrP

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've been thinking about how best to organise the players... here's my musing which Hyzepher can take on board or ignore completely as he sees fit :)

We have a problem whereby people may or may not be able to make specific days/dates. To avoid this why not open up the months qualifers as three separate threads each giving the date,time,place,details (Pudding style!). then let people sign up for whichever suits them. This has several benefits:

1. Fewer dropouts. If people can choose their own dates they are less likely to say "aw jeez, I cant play that weekend...I've to go down the country" etc...

2. Fuller Weeks. If one weekend isnt filled up, we should allow people who have played in earlier rounds and havent qualified (aka LOSERS :) ) to fill up the remaining spaces. Theres no point in having 10 at one week and only 4 at another. Obviously players who havent played before are given priority... the "losers" are just to make up the numbers.

3. Less Rearrangement. It will cut down on the inevitable "I cant play sat 15th, anyone want to trade for the 22nd?!" posts. Which will make adminning it a lot easier (less post editing and reshuffling).

Fair dues to you Chris for taking this on, I knew you'd make a great mod!

DeV.

• Advertisement

I can see what you are saying but I think it will make it a bit less organised. Also I would be happier if the draw for the qualifiers were random - if we let people pick and choose what heat they are in then we will get unbalanced heats - people will pick the one they think they have a better chance of winning etc. I don't want any complaining etc.

I really dont think we will get 3 full heats which anyway we do it - not every month. If there is somewhat of a structure then people will feel more obliged to attend rather than suit themselves.

Remember its only one heat per player per month - you miss your heat you have to wait 'til next month. I think that is enough of an incentive to turn up at your allotted heat.

I will still take into account anyone who cant make certain dates - they just need to tell me before the heats are drawn.

Believe me the BSOP is a large event and it will be a bitch to organise and run. I dont like time wasters so if there is anyone who is continually messing us around then they will be dropped. I would much prefer 20 dedicated attendees than 28 semi-messers

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

My gaff in Crumlin is available for qualifiers etc., any night is fine, 'tis is a bog-standard six seater table but you can get another three/four in on the corners so it should be fine. It's bigger than the table in Dev's place anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Rule with an iron fist Hyzepher!! It could get messy if people try to swop dates, so best to be firm and keep it strict.
    I agree about the randomness of the draw for players at each event, but fingers crossed I can avoid any scary tables and get drawn against DeV, cos he's a fish...

I could be considered as a venue, I live not too far from Mr P, I'd have space for about 8, stretching to ten but it would be a tight squeeze around the table. Fridays or Saturdays suits me.

ok but suppose I am hosting a night, does that mean I may have to NOT play in my own place and then head half way accross the city the next week to play in my qualifier? Seems a bit nuts for the hosts, if I'm hosting a game it makes sense to play my qualifier there... other wise its two weekends a month I have to give up to the BSOP which is a lot (considering I play every weekend in the Fitz too! :) )
    Just a fly in the ointment...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by DeVore
    ok but suppose I am hosting a night, does that mean I may have to NOT play in my own place and then head half way accross the city the next week to play in my qualifier? Seems a bit nuts for the hosts, if I'm hosting a game it makes sense to play my qualifier there... other wise its two weekends a month I have to give up to the BSOP which is a lot (considering I play every weekend in the Fitz too! :) )
    Just a fly in the ointment...

DeV.
    I suppose each month if the 3 venues are decided early, then the people are assigned randomly to each venue? Only problem then is that hosts are less likely to meet each other, would depend how many venues there are and how they're organised/rotated...

• Advertisement

It's as easy as this.

When the heats are announced, one person form each heat hosts - so you only host your own heat - we have enough hosts to make this easy

Hyzepher

That sounds grand Mr Moderator... lets get it on!!

DeV.

Advertisement