Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you choose what book to get next?

Options
  • 26-04-2004 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Apart from presents of books or books you have to read for uni or whatever, how do ye chose what book to buy/loan next?

Me:

If I've seen mention of a book or an author a few times in other books I like, I make a point of looking out for these.

If a book is known to have been very influential on other books I've read, I want to read it.

For sci-fi, I look out especially for anthologies as they're good for finding out about new writers without splashing out on a book by each.

I'm not very influenced by ads for books at all - I'd rather go for something not so well-known than read whatever is being pushed on readers by Waterstone's etc as the "must-read" or the "top 100 books of the century".

When I go to people's houses, I always look at their books to see if there's anything that interests me and if so, I put it on my mental list of books to buy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

Poor student = bargain basement.

I have an intimate knowledge of the classics; granted Harding may depress me to tears, but if he only costs 2.99 I'll buy him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭parker larkin

I don't chose to, usually just take the notion to pop into a book shop and the book (accodring to finances) chooses me!

Yesterday I bought Ted Hughes' Birthday Letters and a collection of Gerard manley Hopkins stuff that caught my eye

Book shopping, especially bargins, makes me very happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

It varies for me. Sometimes it might be as a result of a review. other times it's simply reading the dust jacket. If I'm particularly lazy in choosing, I go for an author I've read before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

How I usually choose a book in order

Recommended by someone else
    Author I've read before and liked
    Come accross review on the web/in magazine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

My only rule is that i never read the same author twice in a row. Don't know why, but its important to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by parker larkin
    I don't chose to, usually just take the notion to pop into a book shop and the book (accodring to finances) chooses me!

Yesterday I bought Ted Hughes' Birthday Letters and a collection of Gerard manley Hopkins stuff that caught my eye

Book shopping, especially bargins, makes me very happy!

Yeah, I'm the same. Was bike shopping in town and happened to walk past Chapters (love the basement) and Easons... serious damage, bought about 8 books... so much for the bicycle :)

No rules, but I'll always be looking out for new books by my favourite authors and they get top priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

Usually by the recommendation of someone else. Otherwise I browse through my bookclub junkmail.....if something should happen to catch my eye ( the artwork ) then I might look into it a bit more . I usually stay within certain catagories that interest me , only venturing out if a book seems extremely appealing . If I'm at a store and the book has attracted my attention I might look at it more closely then too. Usually it's just a impulse shopping thing :)

Originally posted by skittishkitten
    Usually by the recommendation of someone else. Otherwise I browse through my bookclub junkmail.....if something should happen to catch my eye ( the artwork ) then I might look into it a bit more . I usually stay within certain catagories that interest me , only venturing out if a book seems extremely appealing . If I'm at a store and the book has attracted my attention I might look at it more closely then too. Usually it's just a impulse shopping thing :)

Meandering off topic, I'm interested in how you find the book club thing - is it working out well? I've seen some of the spam, and occasionally it looks brilliant, but I'd be concerned about the forced buys and lack of choice on occasion. Comments? Which one is it btw?

Cheers,
    Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

The book club and I have a long history. When I first signed up I got 10 books for $1 ( plus shipping and handling ) and only had to purchase 4 more books over the next two years at club prices at which you can pick up hardbound books for aprox $12 . Usually you can order your first book for 1/2 price if you order it when you order your first ten. Every once in a while they'll screw up my account and we'll have words , I'll get mad , cancel them and they beg me to come back. When I rejoin I get 10 books for $1 ( plus shipping and handling ) and then have to buy 4 more at club prices ( which are actually cheaper than store prices ). It works out pretty well when they mess up my account . :D But you must also remember I'm in the U.S. so I'm not sure if you can purchase from these clubs .....that's why friends can be such wonderful things to have *cough, cough * ;)

www.sfbc.com

I usually get my Luis Royo books from ebay though , I've snagged several for amazing cheap prices ( basically artwork but I simply adore it )

another club I have used but don't like as well ( their more expensive ) is :

www.budplant.com

But you must also remember I'm in the U.S. so I'm not sure if you can purchase from these clubs .....that's why friends can be such wonderful things to have *cough, cough * ;)

:)

www.sfbc.com

Oh no... it's a skiffy book club... that's just cruel damnit! I've picked my first 45 books, where do I sign?

• Advertisement
Advertisement