Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Download Speeds?

• 26-04-2004 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

Not the best way of decribing what i mean but anyway...

Im using IOL BB 512kb line and i was wondering this;
    when im downloading from a site, my downloads usually run at around 32kbps. If i wait a while, nothing changes. Then if i get a second download running it downloads at about 24kbps and the first one stays the same meaning that while the first download was downloading by itself, the rest of the bandwith was being left idle.My question is, is there a setting i can change that will allow me to use all my bandwith at once soley for a single download, instead of leaving some idle.Basically can i get one download,to download (!) at around 64kbps

sorry if that made no sense!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Two scenarios I can think of:

The first scenario is that it's possible that the first site you were downloading from was limited to 32KB/s on that site. Nothing you can do about that. Try downloading from various different sites and see if you can reach your limit. Try to download a file from microsoft.com and see what you get.

Second one is that when you start the second download, it will take time for the displayed download rate of the first download to reflect the new download speed. It is a calculated average over a certain period of time and will not change instantly.

You should download software such as DUMeter so you can monitor your download speeds more accuratly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

maybe, although the two files i used as example were from the same site!
    i'll give DU meter a look

also while i have this thread, another DLing ques.
    When i start a download, for a second or so, i get speeds of 100+kbps,and its not just a number,it recieves that much info per second.In theory then,could i not "alter" my modem to allow speeds like that. In other words,am i being limited?Obvioulsy it would be strictly against the contract etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Firstly, never trust the speedometer in Internet explorer, its hopelessly inaccurate for files less than 5mb in size.

Secondly, install a download accelerator such as getright. Use that to download your files, making sure segmented downloading is enabled. This means that you can download the same file from several sources at once, or just open several connections to the one website. This will make you always max out your connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Fair warning, it's not uncommon for websites to attempt to detect and counteract download accelerators since each additional connection you make to the web server is a connection that can't be used by another web site visitor and it leads to unfair distribution of the site's bandwidth. As the use of download accelerators becomes more common, so too will defenses against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i have yet to have problems with download accelerators. Even if each site limited my connection to 10kb/sec, i could still max out my connection on 99% of files, at the moment anyway. Who knows what the future will hold.

• Advertisement
Advertisement