Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kebabs

Options
  • 26-04-2004 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Anyone else a Kebab fan and if so where do you think
    is the best place in town to get Kebabs?? I'm a fan of
    Iskanders myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, Iskanders is lovely, but even better is Zaytoun(sp?) in temple bar.

Directions:

Walk from temple bar square, past Fitzsimons Hotel, past Bobs, until you get to the Turks Head pub, on your right will be Zaytoun.

The place is frickin gorgeous.

Lovely Kebabs, and they're served on a plate with a knife and fork too.

They even shout out the numbers a lá Iskanders..."Num-ba 42..." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Yes those 2 places are the best/most authentic places to get kebabs in Dublin.

I find that most place which sell kebabs in Ireland tend to sell very greasy donner kebabs, made bland for the Irish palate. You don't seem to get anything like the firey shish kebabs you can get in North London which blow yer head off! Probably available there because of the large Turkish & Greek populations in places like Stoke Newington, Haringey & Finsbury Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

YAY!:) KEBABS!

yep, those Iskanders ones are great alright, Ill definatly hunt down that Zaytoun place yous mentioned

does anyone know of anything else I should try from the menu of those places?
    The few times Ive tried to order something differnt Ive been left bitterly disapointed by somthing scummy:(

I can't really recommend anything from either menu, I think I normally get eithera Donar or a Shish...and I don't really know the difference either, whichever has lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Skr4wny

I tend to like Chicken Kebabs. Definitely going to look for Zaytoun next time I'm on the razz in town, cheers for the tip seansouth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

We talking donor kebabs here? If so, i love them.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

kebabs are sheit here compared to somewhere like hamburg, germany.

best kebabs this side of istanbul in hamburg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

kebab house in Galway tbh:)
    tasty chicken kebabs...

/me drools

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Zaytoon is a top kebab shop - open till 4 in the morning as well ;)

There a place on georges street (Shalamar, or something) that is fairly good too

The chicken shish in zaytoon is great - not too fond of their donars though

seansouth: shish are where the meat is prepared and cooked on a stick. A donar is cut from the big hunks of meat that rotate slowely.

You can also get a mixed Kebab with Lamb and chicken which is lovely. I'm just in love with Kebabs. I'd love to try a kebab in turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Angry_Penguin
    Zaytoon is a top kebab shop - open till 4 in the morning as well ;)

The fact that I've been there 3 times at last orders in the past month does not bode well for my liver......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i prefare zaytouns to iskanders. my local chippie does a nice donar kebab as well.

kebabs in general don't bode well the next day. i had a whole two pints of guiness recently and a kebab and felt like crap the next day.

They can give you a bad dose of heartburn or indegestion aswell alright. But they are so nice!!

Originally posted by Angry_Penguin
    seansouth: shish are where the meat is prepared and cooked on a stick. A donar is cut from the big hunks of meat that rotate slowely.

Ah...cheers mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I think Zaytoun is over rated and it can go up or down depending on how busy they are. Iskanders is definitely the best....you have to be careful which Kebab you order though. A bog standard lamb Sharwama is not really an authentic middle eastern Kebab. Go for the lamb shish deluxe. You get a very large portion of V succulent halal lamb with a good mixed salad. They also upgraded their pitta bread to an authentic oven baked version which blows Zaytoun away. Try the humus (chick pea paste) and olive dip as an extra with it.......jeezz I'm starvin. Unlike Zaytoun its full of Algerians etc on Fridays so they're doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I prefer the Greek kebabs 'souvlakis' but they don't seem to do them in Dublin. They are smaller with fried pitta bread including a skewer of diced pork or chicken (or gyro if you want) and tsatsiki (yoghurt with garlic andmaybe onions and grated cucumber) and tomatoes and chilli powder.

Much more healthy and less messy.

But Iskanders chicken shwarma rocks all over Zaytoons open, knife and forked 'kebab' any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Pita Gyros with the chips in it for me, Gordon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

theres a place in clonmel (a little bit off dublin) but the doner kebabs are lovely and are crammed with meat and loads of chilli sauce

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

KEBABS!

have you ever seen that add on MTV where the owl lad is singing Britney spears while making the kebabs Classic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

Agree that Iskanders is prob the best closely followed by Zaytoun. Another place that you should try is in the Food emporium ( near abbey st, across from k3 ) there is an Indain in there, try the Lamb Shakara ( sorry about the spelling ) but the lamb is :D loads of sauce's & veg as well. YUM YUM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Good bit away from Dublin, but I always loved kebabs from Pat's Pizza in Letterkenny [but only from the 1 in the square, which iirc doesn't sell the anymore - have to go to the 1 across from the post office & they're horrible]!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

Zaytoon is the Business decent enough price for a massive wallop of a Kebab the "Dogs Thingys":)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I'm suprised no one mentioned the Athena on dame st, opposite Iskanders.

Very nice kebabs in there. For a takeaway, thats where i go.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've tried iskander's and it's not a patch on a decent kebab from my old local kebab house (in the UK). might have to try Zaytoon and see what that's like tho.

i had a souvlaki in perth when i was in Oz (actually 2 cos it was that nice) and it was amazing.

my old local does an extra large doner (or mixed kebab) which is 100% bigger than the ones in iskanders, and is filled with lettuce, cabbage, onion, tomato, jalepeno's and a home made chilli sauce. it's chock full of freshly cooked lamb, and is amazingly tender and juicy.

just a shame you can't get anything like it here.

oh, the nostalgia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

kebabish in ballincollig (cork) does nice kebabs. we don't get such a variety of nice kebab houses down here. it's pretty much abrakebabra or nothing. kebaish is good though. owned by an indian family so they doo indian take away too. it's otten so bad taht all i have to do is walk into the place and they start making me a kebab. methinks i may have a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

Originally posted by Skr4wny
    You can also get a mixed Kebab with Lamb and chicken which is lovely. I'm just in love with Kebabs. I'd love to try a kebab in turkey.

A few years ago I was in jerusalem, I had a goat kebab which I got off an arab street trader, it was fantastic :D BUT three hours later I nearly ss****ttt myself to death I was on the poe for days
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i had a kebab in abrakebra last night well more on the nite link home it wasn't the mae west more just meat and sauce no garnish and stuff shocking, taco fries where good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭imirish

HIT THE SPOT IN RATHMINES

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

My favourite place in Dublin would have to be the Turkish place in the Epicurean Food Hall (I think it's called Istanbul) - don't think any one has mentioned that yet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Going to get a Donar Kebab within the next hour. Any good recommendations where i can get the best one in Dublin with real lamb?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement