Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6600 probs APP MAIN.Closed

Options
  • 26-04-2004 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

On boot of phone i sometimes get APP MAIN.Closed appear. Everything seems to work though. The only other strange thing is i can send a text message, then i might get a delivery report but sometimes my phone sounds like i have a message but there is none. strange :dunno:

anyone have anything similar? Apart from that its a fantastic phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by Saruman
    On boot of phone i sometimes get APP MAIN.Closed appear. Everything seems to work though. The only other strange thing is i can send a text message, then i might get a delivery report but sometimes my phone sounds like i have a message but there is none. strange :dunno:

anyone have anything similar? Apart from that its a fantastic phone.

Exact same! App Main Closed appears when I boot (plus a bundle of repeated txt reports) and that noise that sounds like the message when there isn't one is actually the delivery report coming in, but the wrong noise is playing.

I figure there's some bug in the txt reports thats causing the two of 'em.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Just a suggestion, not sure it will actually fix the problem, but there is a firmware update available that's supposed to fix a load of bugs. I'm guessing silly initialisation errors like the ones mentioned will be fixed.

After pressing *#0000# your phone will show it's firmware version. The initial Nokia 6600 firmware version is v3.42.1 and as you'll see it's quite old: 16-10-03.

The latest version is 4.09.1. I'm hoping to get my phone updated sometime this week :)

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes i have the old one, was planing on downloading the new one. Hope i can send it over by bluetooth, i assume i can.. just need to find it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Do the nokia service centres have this update now? Last time I went into them (only a couple of months ago) they didn't know the 6600 existed. Hardly confidence inspiring stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Hope i can send it over by bluetooth, i assume i can.. just need to find it

I think it has to be done by nokia in a service center.

very annoying.

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Actually i might hold off for now.. appears the latest firmware restricts the phone.. cant send .mid .sis .jar files etc!!! OK so there is a way around it.. rename them to a different extension, send then rename back but thats a pain.
    Done to prevent piracy but thats crap since it prevents you from downloading free trials etc and sending to your phone not to mention free (not pirate) midi files etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

As said in a previous post, you must get your firmware updated from an official Nokia Service Center. Although it's a hassle, firmware updates are free for the 1st year (assuming your phone has a valid warranty).

If you're a Siemens user, you're probably quite used to being able to download and install the firmware yourself. Nokia and a lot of other phone manufacturers are not like nice :dunno:

In relation to the 6600, the latest firmware update does stop the sending of various file type for copyright reasons, etc but personally that doesn't bother me. What I like is that this update will finally allow ETI Camcorder Pro to record with sound! :-D

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

how do they ascertain if u have a valid warranty. whats the conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Never update firmware for ANYTHING over a wireless or IR link if there is a cable alternative.

Even with OTA satellite receivers they warn that it could be trashed by a power cut at the wrong moment. Sky however seem to have it sussed out.

The Nokia9200 has firmware updates than can be done by PC link (cable recommended as the IR is not very reliable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Citizen7

I'm having the same problem on my 6600, where are there Nokia Service Centres , in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

The Telephone Centre on Dawson St will do it - be sure to back everything up first!!

Cheers hefty_langer, I rang them and they said it would take 3 hours to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

is that the nokia place on dawson st?

yeh same place - 2 names

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Just to clarify, The Telephone Centre is 32 Dawson St [01 8722542], (up a bit closer to Stephens Green, opposite the Mansion House), what was the actual Nokia Store is in the Royal Hibernian Way although when I walked past it last it had "O2 Store" signs on it...

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

I dont have a valid warranty ... according to the MPRC as i bought my 6600 in Hong Kong.

Does anybody know if it is possible to download firmware updates and if so ... where?

Cheers guys.

Advertisement