Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the coolest thing i just found out about firefox

Options
  • 26-04-2004 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭

ok a bit of backround to the story, downloading a legal mp3 off a site.

went to download it click it and it asked me where i wanted to save it, i was in a rush to the toilet so i forgot to click save,

so when i came back from the toilet, i saw i didn't click save, now when you're on 64k time matters, so i hit save to what i thought would start the download,

then it started off from 1 meg of 6 megs.

i thought it was odd so i check my bandwidth meter and firefox was smart enough to start the download even though i didn't confirm the file save destination.

another great reason why i love this browser

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

doesnt explorer do this too? Im pretty sure it does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by L5
    doesnt explorer do this too? Im pretty sure it does

It does! It assumes you're going to download the file and starts caching it even before you select save. Good oul explorer :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well my explorer doesn't do this?

probably maybe cos i don't have the new one :rolleyes: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Aye, IE does it as well. So does Opera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Opera lets you stop a downlaod at anypoint to play say the first 30 sec of a tune rather than having to complete the download before playback (and discovering you had wasted your time!) does any other browser allow that?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by mike65
    Opera lets you stop a downlaod at anypoint to play say the first 30 sec of a tune rather than having to complete the download before playback (and discovering you had wasted your time!) does any other browser allow that?

Thats really only going to work with mp3's or mpegs, but yeah I;m fair sure Mozilla allows it although you wouldn't need to stop the download (you could pause it) you would just need to open the file and see what its like as you say above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Cabaal
    ...although you wouldn't need to stop the download (you could pause it) you would just need to open the file and see what its like as you say above

Thats true, last night I checked an mp3 file after 30 secs and hit resume and let it keep playing - the downlaod was faster than playback!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Also lets not forget the weird shortcuts in Firefox. Typing in the address bar "dict word" will look up the word in directory.com. Quite useful and amusing.

Although, the Extension give so much more to Firefox, I have a silly amount of them and some of them are totally fantastic.

Gotta love that firefox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Gotta love Opera 7.5 beta all that good stuff and an IRC client too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Seems opera is moving in the opposite direction to mozilla - mozilla is splitting up its huge "suite" into smaller apps, and opera is integrating more and more things into the browser...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

I can't use any browser other than opera since I got into using the mouse gestures for everything. I keep on trying to do them when I am in college (using Netscape or *shudder* IE).

And I know its not unique, but I'm a big fan of the intergrated search bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

The feature I use the most on firefox , highlight some text then right click and do a web search with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by bus77
    The feature I use the most on firefox , highlight some text then right click and do a web search with it.
    That is snazzy. What are people's favourite extensions and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by Imposter

Chatzilla its does what i want an irc client to on a 56k connection and that is work and let me connecto the chat rooms i want and it easy on the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I got all my extensions from here

Tabbed Browser Extensions is a must for anyone. Really brings a lot of deadly.
    Tab Scroller, lets you use your mousewheel to scroll through tabs.
    View page in IE. Useful for those pages such as DCU mail that dont work well in firefox or non Microsoft browsers.
    Status bar clock, does as it says
    SwitchProxy toolbar. Useful for having wireless and differant proxy servers
    Search Button and Advanced Search Sidebar, a must have. You can do some fantastic searches with them suing multiple search engines and the sort.

Ive loads more extensions on my other pc. Also many changes to the userchrome.js and user css files.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As my sig says
    best ad-on for Mozilla in general is Adblock - http://adblock.mozdev.org
    very handy indeed :-)
    can't beat */banner/* etc
    :D:D:D

Advertisement