Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Updates Safe?

Options
  • 26-04-2004 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭

Just wondering...you hear of stories of peoples computers fecking up because an update fixed one bug, but uncovered another. Are there any hard and fast rules for what and when you update?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Security updates are released on the second Tuesday of every month.

Generally they are safe to use. As a result of a few fu*k ups in the past, now all QFEs get stressed & thrashed for a good few weeks before they're released to ensure that they don't cross contaminate each other.

I would recommend to use them, otherwise your system is going to be vulnerable to malacious files from the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The hard & fast rule would be; although there have been a few screw ups in the past with updates, as Colm points out, you're far better off applying them, then not.

You could wait a couple of days after the release in case any issues become apparent but there are risks to that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Robert, sorry, i dont want to hijack your thread, but i have to ask regarding updates -

I finally got around to installing the SP-1 for XP last night.
    It took forever but i finally managed - didnt restart the PC until this evening and found that it took ages for my settings to load on start-up and get the pc going.

Is this normal?

It seems to be back to its normal self but i got a bit worried. The install is fairly straightforward so i dont know what (if anything) went wrong. What do you guys think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

The first reboot after any major system change, installing an SP in this case, is expected to be a little slower than usual.

Performance should return after the first reboot. There is a lot of stuff happening under the hood during the first startup after a SP installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Pheeeeew - what a relief. I thought i messed something up.

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

cheers for the replies. once I get BB I'll be able to get all the updates (I've about 40 critical ones lined up :eek: lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I usually give updates (and especially service packs) a miss for a week .... sites like theinquirer.net would gleefully put up a story about any problems.... the security sites would probably have something about potential problems as well.

Advertisement