Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What connection for gaming

• 27-04-2004 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

I have IOL BB plus at the mo, was just wondering what would be the best connection for gaming that is available in Ireland, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i dono about the best . was looking at a few of the other companies that supplied my area but i dont think they would be better for gaming . atm i ping 50 r so to my cs servers in 4u's data center .

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

The best product for gaming and also cheap enough is Eircom's RADSL products, i get solid pings of 20ms all day and night. The only issue you might have is if you are a warez monkey due to the tight caps. The best product I have used is the 512K product with the 8gb cab and the low contention ratio.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

same here eircom gives great pings 20 - 45 but its just that stingy cap that lets it down slightly. Eircom would be the gamers isp of choice but its easily beaten by NTL cable if your damn lucky enough to be in an area where its available.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Of the RADSL providers, IOL is probably second best after Eircom (with maybe NS about the same as IOL).

I think IOL is the best balance between performance, cap and price.

Of all forms of BB. Esat Business DSL would be the best for gaming (no interleaving, so very good pings). NTL is probably next. Sometimes wireless can be excellent for gaming, sometimes awful, it depends if you get lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

My wireless connect goes from 31 ping ingame on Quake3 constant one time, to lag city the next, but thats mainly due to contention issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

IBB 5ghz(???) kicks my esat business dsl about. However its only good 75-80% of the time apparently. Tho it is cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

What bk said, the new IBB pings what, 16 in dos to UK servers?

Eircom radsl never goes below 29 to UK.. in reality there arent many people playing on irish servers so you always end up on uk ones.

If i could id get that ibb 1mb/1mb.. far superior to eircom radsl when it comes to pings. Although not all games will let you notice the diff between 20 and 30 ping but the ones i play do. It's also important to have that 10ms lower if you're playing matches on dutch servers (which is more centralized for europeans) etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

once again tho IBB like NTL dont have widespread coverage, only parts of Dublin? so for most people radsl or other local wireless operators are the only options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Friend of mine who has the new IBB 5ghz had dreadul pings today thus far so looks like i spoke too soon. Unless its just during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭fiacha

was going to get the eircom basic package, but now I think the IOL basic is better value (higher caps anyway). It will mostly be used for playing COD online.
    how do people find this service for playing on the UK servers (jolt etc). just hope my skills improve when i'm off the 56k !

thanks,

MONGO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I get 50ms to 60ms pings on IOLBB to most UK servers and the big EU ones(30-40ppl) can go as high as 100ms. I can ping clarity.jolt.co.uk at 30ms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

eircom gives 20ms ? like in game ? fock, and here i am like a sucker using IOL, getting 45-50+ ms !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Realisticly, you'd want to be superman to notice anything different in pings less than 50.

That said, NTL have been known to give me ping of 15 to the UK :)

Originally posted by Placebo
    eircom gives 20ms ? like in game ? fock, and here i am like a sucker using IOL, getting 45-50+ ms !

no eircom gives pings ingame more like 32-45 to good UK servers and 40-55 to higher pinging servers like jolt and uk2. Irish servers ping ingame around 20-40. Pings can go lower than above sometimes depending on conditions. Those pings hold up fairly well on english servers where the majority of UK gamers ping around 30-35 to their servers anyway. It seems to be mainly the english cable users that you see with the lower pings of 15-25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It depends what game you are playing, and what settings you have.

Quake3 = 28ms

Quake = 28ms

CS = 48ms (jarhedz)

Battlefield = >50

Thats for me locall and ingame. (iol/jarhedz servers)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Esat Business packages (512K for €110 a month)...that is alll........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

Originally posted by Gonzo
    no eircom gives pings ingame more like 32-45 to good UK servers and 40-55 to higher pinging servers like jolt and uk2. Irish servers ping ingame around 20-40. Pings can go lower than above sometimes depending on conditions. Those pings hold up fairly well on english servers where the majority of UK gamers ping around 30-35 to their servers anyway. It seems to be mainly the english cable users that you see with the lower pings of 15-25.

Pings don't ever drop lower than 30/29 in cmd to any UK server with eircom radsl.

Ingame pings are not really accurate. 50 can be displayed for two users with real pings different by even 15 ms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Cabaal
    Esat Business packages (512K for €110 a month)...that is alll........

what other country would people be prepaired to pay €110 a month for a 512k adsl connection :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

For the last 2 weeks, IBB have been giving a nice stable 25-35ms in-game ping to English servers. I never play on irish servers, so i don't know what the ping would be like in-game. But i presume a little bit less.

Advertisement