Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Options
  • 27-04-2004 4:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

...by Milan Kundera.

I'm re-reading it (again!), and I still can't decide if it's, like, really profound, or a plotless tale full of shallow pronouncements.

Help!:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

i loved it and even had to turn down the corners of a few pages (something i never do) to mark passages that really struck me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It's not without interest - I like the bit about people's lives having recurring motifs that only have meaning to the person in question.

The problem with Milan Kundera is that although he has many interesing ideas in his works, he sometimes seems to be trying to hard to make his characters appear sophisticated and bohemian. Especially when he writes about sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

Originally posted by eclectichoney
    i loved it and even had to turn down the corners of a few pages (something i never do) to mark passages that really struck me.

Ya, that strikes a chord. I've been highlighting passages this time round (something I never do either). But I'm not sure if he's wise, or a charlatan...

Advertisement