Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Music video ever!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

dunno what the best vid is but theres a Bob Marley vid goin around the p2ps,
    the songs called Jammin and it's well worth a download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭girella

do the evolution-pearl jam
    tool-sober
    rage against the machine-renegades
    peter gabriel-sledgehammer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Massive Attack - Teardrop

Most Radiohead videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Sleep Now In The Fire - Rage Against The Machine
    Excellent video, a parody of Who wants to be a millionaire.

Holy Smoke - Iron Maiden
    They rip the absolute piss out of themselves, brilliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

radiohead - just
    unkle - rabbit in your headlights

and most of sigur rós' vids

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

[Holy Smoke - Iron Maiden
    They rip the absolute piss out of themselves, brilliance. [/B]

yes.. def a class video.. was in school when it came out.. deadly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

joe_chicken, was that "Drop" by The Pharcyde you were talking about?

While we're on the topic, I used to be big into hip-hop back in school (just the music, not the clothes etc!) and I always liked Busta Rhymes' videos. "Gimme Some Mo" was nicely done. He designs all the own costumes for the videos, and they're just so damn blahzay...

Hmmm, what else...

Well, since we're talking about videos and not the actual bands or music, I *suppose* it's safe to say "The Scientist" by Coldplay. Wouldn't be a fan of the band, but as with the whole backward theme in The Pharcyde's "Drop" I think it works well.

Has anyone mentioned "Fell In Love With A Girl" by The White Stripes?

Sure there's 100's more, but I just can't think of them. Oh to have Sky Digital and all those music channels! I know they show the same stuff over and over but all I have is "Music" Television and that's joke in itself.

MTV's turned into "Pop Culture TV". Can't remember the last time I saw more than about 3 videos in one hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

This one will have you fighting off the tears.

It's Johnny Cash's video for Hurt and it's excellent. Its mentioned further up, but it's worth mentioning twice. It's really is the best music video ever.

http://oquinns.com/cash_h.mov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    This one will have you fighting off the tears.

It's Johnny Cash's video for Hurt and it's excellent. Its mentioned further up, but it's worth mentioning twice. It's really is the best music video ever.

http://oquinns.com/cash_h.mov

Agreed! It's even more emotional for me I'd imagine, because as well as the sadness of the video and the death of the man himself, my dad passed away a few years ago and he was a really big Johnny Cash fan, so I grew up listening to him around the house. It brings the tears out in me.

Thanks for the link!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yes, this seems to have turned into more of a "what video you like" post rathewr than the envisaged "Best Music video ever!" (with an exlamation mark forks!)

yeah I'd defo put down:

Johnny Cash - Hurt
    Kylie - Locomotion
    Billy Joel - We Didn't Start the Fire
    White Stripes - 6 Nation Army (and the other one)
    Dr. Dre - Gin and Juice
    Tears for fears - Everybody wants to rule the world

There's Countless others, but the title goes to (drumroll please!):
    RATM - Sleep Now In the Fire

and a close second (mainly due to timing of release):
    Johnny Cash - Hurt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

dirty vegas - days go by
    radiohead - paranoid android

yes, this seems to have turned into more of a "what video you like" post rathewr than the envisaged "Best Music video ever!" (with an exlamation mark forks!)

:confused:

Are they not one of the same? I mean, if someone thinks a video is the "best ever", then it's obviously gonna be their favourite...

But I think it might be that it's tough to remember all the really good videos. In cases like these, you always end up going "Oh yeah! I forgot about [whatever]"...

One of my earliest recollections of a music video was "Sledgehammer" by Peter Gabriel. My vote could possibly go to a video with stop motion animation in it... Which Michael Jackson video was it that had that? He was in a sort of rollercoaster thing.

Surprised people haven't mentioned more of his videos. What about Thriller? That must be a forerunner too.

I'm babbling.

Would be interested to see the "We Didn't Start The Fire" video. What's it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Deathfunk, I disagree with you.
    For instance, I love the video for Short Skirt, Long Jacket by Cake, but I'd never say its the best video ever.
    I like it because it appeals to my sense of humour, and I know that most people find different things funny than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I have two favorites

Peter Gabriels - SledgeHammer
    and
    Radiohead - Paranoid Android

Wacker, I see what you mean.

So it's more of a mass appeal best video kind of thing, as oppose to "my favourite video"?

That A-Ha video just came into my head now! ;) I don't think it's "Take On Me", but it's the one where the girl meets the band but jumping into a magazine or a newspaper or something.

Hmmm... Actually it sounds pretty lame in description, but for the time it was visually quite cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I think that was "take on me", and I cant remember the name of the michael jackson video but I remember the video, and the chorus was "leave me alone", it was about the press or was what the children were shouting at him...

My favourite video ever has to be Hurt by Johnny Cash too. Its amazing and powerful ands very memorable.

Radiohead, Foo Fighters, and white stripes always make good videos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    The Beastie Boys - Sabotage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Originally posted by Wacker
    Deathfunk, I disagree with you.
    For instance, I love the video for Short Skirt, Long Jacket by Cake, but I'd never say its the best video ever.
    I like it because it appeals to my sense of humour, and I know that most people find different things funny than I do.

best video of all time means the video you think is the best of all time therefore the video you like the best (of all time) and therefore YOUR FAVOURITE VIDEO.... there really is no other way of putting it ... you either like something or you dont

taste is everything!
    I don't think it's "Take On Me", but it's the one where the girl meets the band but jumping into a magazine or a newspaper or something.

I think it is "Take On Me" ... and it still looks good.... not that its my favourite video

as mentioned before my favourite video would be a tie up between "Star Guitar" by Chemical Bros. or that Pharcyde video by Spike Jonze (I think its called "Drop")

p.s. sorry i only saw your first post now deathfunk....

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Ragamuffin

Originally posted by Kone
    Aphex Twin - Windowlicker!

No questions!

:D

lol that video is so fu<ked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Kunst

rem - imitation of life

and

daft punk - around the world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Joe Chicken, I see things this way. If some dude that I knew nothing about came up to me and asked me to show him the greatest ever music video, I would not show him Short Skirt, Long Jacket, as I think the appeal of that is too personal. I doubt most people would appreciate it, even if I do.

I'd show him Do The Evolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

johnny cash - hurt
    nirvana - heart shaped box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

forgot bout heart shaped box, savage video , nirvanas best song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Come As You Are is great too.

Originally posted by Wacker
    Joe Chicken, I see things this way. If some dude that I knew nothing about came up to me and asked me to show him the greatest ever music video, I would not show him Short Skirt, Long Jacket, as I think the appeal of that is too personal. I doubt most people would appreciate it, even if I do.

I'd show him Do The Evolution.

so then do the evolution is your favourite video...you just like short skirt, long jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Must say I prefer the Video by Nine Inch Nails for the original version of Hurt than the Johnny Cash one everyone is raving about. But still my all time favourite is Do The Evolution its just....the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    Best video ever was probably legacy by mansun, can anyone remember the dolls?

That was my favourite video at that time.
    Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel was cool back in the day :D
    I also remember being blown away by Michael Jackson's Thriller & also Scream was good.

But I honestly can't remember anything from the past few years that I've thought was the best ever. Most of the videos now either stick to the same formula (cars, girls, etc.) or else they do something that has been done before.

Originally posted by Auburn
    That was my favourite video at that time.
    Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel was cool back in the day :D
    I also remember being blown away by Michael Jackson's Thriller & also Scream was good.

But I honestly can't remember anything from the past few years that I've thought was the best ever. Most of the videos now either stick to the same formula (cars, girls, etc.) or else they do something that has been done before.

yopu've been watching too much Mtv Base

have you seen any white stripe/aphex twin/radiohead/beastie boys videos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Originally posted by joe_chicken
    yopu've been watching too much Mtv Base

have you seen any white stripe/aphex twin/radiohead/beastie boys videos?

I must admit I like some of the beastie boys and radiohead videos.
    The latest white stripes one must have been really tedious to make but it's only ok.
    I guess I'm just getting old and cranky and harder to impress :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

UNKLE - Rabbit In Your Headlights
    Sigur Ros - Untitled #1

Not what I'd call a "classic" video, but I really like the video for Hard To Explain by The Strokes. (esp. the bit where it's just black at the start)

Advertisement