Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Belt - Renault Megane Coupe 1.6

Options
  • 27-04-2004 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

My trusty Renault Megane Coupe 1.6 (probably just cursed it and it'll never start again) is a 1998 and has just over 43k miles. For the first three years of Meggie's life (yes I am a woman who names her cars) she did about 35k but due to the upgrading of my local railway she now does about 1/2 mile a day, and a bit more on weekends - say 2000 miles pa. No noises, ratlles anything and passed 2 NCTs. My question is what mileage should I get the timing belt done at - and does thw type of mileage (ie city driving/long stretches) make any difference?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Short answer - allways change the belt when its due. As a rule a belt will give no warning before it breaks and when it does it usually takes most of the top end with it. Meaning a cylinder head rebuild (valves etc) This will not be cheap! Whatever the belt change costs it'll be cheaper and you'll sleep nights...as for when the belt is due your handbook/s may tell you failing that assume 50,000 miles/5 years.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Geit changed , mine went last year in the Vectra I was driving at the time . It cost me €1300 to get it fixed .

It differs on various models but I would think yours should be done sometime soon.

I was gonna change mine last year in my next service but the belt went before the service came along .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Get it done definitely. Belt in my gto went, and it bent 20 of the valves. 50k is when you should do it. But dont put it off.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the recommended replacement interval is only a recommendation. The belt could go after 10 miles.
    I am aware of cars that have gone their lifetime without a change and not a bother on them.
    However, in saying that, if the manufacturer says 50K then do it within the 50K.

Advertisement