Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Theiving scum....

Options
  • 27-04-2004 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Anybody living in the Waterville area of Blanchardstown, lock up your cars and don't leave anything visible.
    There have been at least 3 or 4 cars broken into in the Waterville area of Blanchardstown (beside Blanchardstown hospital) in the past few days. I was added to the list of victims last night. The fly window was smashed on my car (nothing was visible or on show). The alarm went off. Other cars have had their doors pulled. Just posting this so people are aware. There's no punishment severe enough for these scumbags!

On a related note, does anyone know if I can claim for the window through my insurance? I am covered fully comp and have heard of Windscreen cover, but does that cover fly windows too? I thought there was an excess too? Obviously, I don't want to affect my no claims.

Any help would be great,

Cheers,

DC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Look at your insurance disk and policy number. If there is a W at the end you are covered for all window breakages and it shouldnt affect your NCB. I dont think there is an excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Cheers mate,
    I'll have a look at that...

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Originally posted by silverside
    Look at your insurance disk and policy number. If there is a W at the end you are covered for all window breakages and it shouldnt affect your NCB. I dont think there is an excess.

Not neccesarily true, it depends on the insurance company as they use different formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

maybe so,

but if you ring one of the window glass companies they will be able to decode the format on the spot.

the 'w' trick was just what I found when i rang the glass company last time that happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

my next door neighbours car was broken into last night. My sis is a Garda and warned me 3 days ago that she heard on the Garda radio about guys checking out cars on my street. They were prolly just looking for easy targets for last nights antics

I now sleep with my golf club handy incase I see anyone messing with my car :ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Some scumbag tried to rob my car during the week. I'm in Tyrellstown, D15 btw.. They popped the bonnet and cut the alarm wires but no other damage was done thankfully.

The gardai said they were after the stereo, i think not ! They would have just broke the window for that...

As regards your broken glass, yes windscreen cover means all glass in the vehicle including sunroof. No excess applies and it won't affect your NCB.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Originally posted by ando
    I now sleep with my golf club handy incase I see anyone messing with my car :ninja:

A few people have been killed after confronting people trying to rob their car. These scumbags generally hunt in 4's or 5's as their objective is to joyride and not to steal and make a gain from it.

Best thing is to shout from your top window tell them to feck off. Ones disturbed they generally will run.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Originally posted by DaveD

The gardai said they were after the stereo, i think not ! They would have just broke the window for that...

Definitely! If they pop the bonnet, it's likely they wanted to disable the alarm so they could start the car. My alarm went off when they smashed the glass and opened the door. Then, they were either scared away by someone or they didn't think the car had an alarm. I've had a few cars broken into, and they always smashed the fly window. Once they even took the stereo (with no face, as I had that with me). They broke off one of my wipers to force the stereo out of the dash. Maybe they had or knew where they could get, some stereo faces that they could attach to it.

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

ah god bless them lads they have got nothin else to do,there is no recreation for young people nowadays................:):).SCUM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wanted: New Breed of Large Dog Which Loves Sleeping in Parked Cars At Night....

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

what ya want there is a newfoundland. my anut and uncle have one. the dog's 34 inchs tall at the shoulder and weighs a shade under 12 stone. i watched it destroy they carcass of an 18lb turkey at christmas i just one bit. put a dog thats size in your car and no one is goind to risk it being even mildly unfriendly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Somebody has to say it...

the_evil_belly, can that dog put out fires ???

Chief.

** I dont agree with burning cars with big dogs inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

thats a fair point i suppose. you could always chain it up near the car and then no one in their right mind to would come near it. plus you wouldn't have to worry about the smell of dog in your car or it ****ting on the seats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Have had my van broken into twice in the past 4 weeks in Inchicore.....In my "secure" underground car parking. Stereo robbed both times, a laptop the second and other bits and pieces. Called Kilmainham garda station and they say they are getting 2 or 3 calls a day from my apartment block with break ins.

Management company wont do a thing about it so i'm moving out next week, lucky enough im only renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Look, you rent in Blanchardstown you take your chances, it's a knacker zone and really only recently populated by low-income Dublin couples that can't afford a better place to live. Mutton dressed as lamb, as the estate agents would admit [privately].

7 years ago you wouldn't set foot in Blanch. Says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by mbroaders
    Have had my van broken into twice in the past 4 weeks in Inchicore.....In my "secure" underground car parking. Stereo robbed both times, a laptop the second and other bits and pieces. Called Kilmainham garda station and they say they are getting 2 or 3 calls a day from my apartment block with break ins.

Management company wont do a thing about it so i'm moving out next week, lucky enough im only renting.
    Had similar problems in Gerdiner St. a few years ago. Thing is with us it always happened on a Sun evening. Guards weren't interested. Said they hadn't the resources (or maybe that was interest) to wait for them some Sunday evening. We were considering a stalking session with a baseball bat but decided against it, although the guards said that it wouldn't be a bad idea (but they obviously couldn't condone such behaviour officially).

The only way of getting to the management company is through your landlord if you know him/her. They might bring it up but if most of the apartments are rented then I think it's a lost cause.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im reminded of Brendan Burke (stand up comedian) who used to do (still does?) a take on Tallaght youths and says that they only do these things because of a lack of "faciliees in dere area".
    We should bring back hanging (followed by a chaser of drawing & quartering)!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Originally posted by MojoMaker
    Look, you rent in Blanchardstown you take your chances, it's a knacker zone and really only recently populated by low-income Dublin couples that can't afford a better place to live. Mutton dressed as lamb, as the estate agents would admit [privately].

7 years ago you wouldn't set foot in Blanch. Says it all.

WTF ??? You're obviously one of these assholes, from the south side no doubt, who won't shop anywhere else but Grafton Street and drives a company car (Mondeo or Passat)!

Wake up and take a trip to Blanchardstown sometime. You obviously have not been there in a very long time as its nothing like what you're trying to describe it as. Blanchardstown is a very nice area with many new developments going up. I'll admit there are some dodgy areas around Blanchardstown but are not in Blanchardstown themselves. You will have some sort of bad area close by whereever you live in Dublin. Do a bit of research before posting like that again.

btw - I don't live in Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

WTF ??? You're obviously one of these assholes, from the south side no doubt, who won't shop anywhere else but Grafton Street and drives a company car (Mondeo or Passat)!

Wake up and take a trip to Blanchardstown sometime. You obviously have not been there in a very long time as its nothing like what you're trying to describe it as. Blanchardstown is a very nice area with many new developments going up. I'll admit there are some dodgy areas around Blanchardstown but are not in Blanchardstown themselves. You will have some sort of bad area close by whereever you live in Dublin. Do a bit of research before posting like that again.

:confused: Whats the difference? The scum that live all around you - a ring of scum if you will - who are they going to prey on? Their fellow links in the ring of scum, or the soft centre - i.e. the normal, decent people, who the estate agents convinced to live there. Most parts of dublin have some scum nearby, but out in "de blanch" they have got it particularly bad.

Wild Horses wouldnt drag me to live there!

PS. Yes I am from the southside, but I dont drive a car, or shop in grafton st - i get the helicopter direct to milan!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by jackal
    Wild Horses wouldnt drag me to live there!
    I hear they have them thar wild horses on the south side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement