Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to register to vote

Options
  • 27-04-2004 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Could someone (mods?) post here/edit this post/create a new thread with details on how to register to vote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

contact any local politicians office. They'll make sure you have a polling card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I think that most Post Offices have a register so you can check to see if you are on it. If you are not on it they will fill you in on the details on how to register, it is very simple all I had to do was make a phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Registering To Vote In Ireland

Relevant bits for those not already on the list:
    Supplement to the Electoral Register

If you are qualified to vote but have missed the deadline to include your name on the Register, you can apply to be included in a Supplement to the Register, which will allow you to vote at any election or referendum held during the year. You can apply for inclusion on the Supplemental Register at least 13 working days before polling day.
    Who is eligible to vote in elections and referenda?
    Irish citizens can vote in every election and referendum
    British citizens may vote at Dáil, European and local elections
    Other EU citizens may vote at European and local elections
    Non-EU citizens can vote at local elections only

To be eligible to be included in the Register of Electors, you must:
    Be at least 18 years of age on the day the Register comes into force (15 February)

And
    Have been ordinarily resident in the State on 1 September in the year preceding the coming into force of the Register.
    How to apply

Application forms for inclusion on the Electoral Register, Special Voters List, Postal Voters List and the amended Electoral Register are available from all County Councils, Corporations, post offices and public libraries.

Incidentally the OED recommends the word "referendums" instead of "referenda" for a very good reason that's probably irrelevant here

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/04/27/story144734.html
    Refugees allowed to vote in elections
    27/04/2004 - 11:53:11 AM

The Government has extended the list of documents acceptable as identity cards in the upcoming local elections to allow refugees, asylum seekers and other non-nationals to cast their votes.

The list now includes Temporary Registration Certificates given to asylum seekers and Garda National Immigration Bureau cards given to refugees and other foreign nationals.

The extension of the list is designed to ensure that non-nationals on the electoral register can cast their votes without any problems in the local elections on June 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Who is eligible to vote in elections and referenda?
    Irish citizens can vote in every election and referendum
    British citizens may vote at Dáil, European and local elections
    Other EU citizens may vote at European and local elections
    Non-EU citizens can vote at local elections only

British citizens can vote for Dail candidates ??:confused:
    Is that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by vorbis
    British citizens can vote for Dail candidates ??:confused:
    Is that right?
    It's correct, if that's what your asking. Irish citizens get to vote in Westminster elections as well.

Originally posted by vorbis
    British citizens can vote for Dail candidates ??:confused: Is that right?
    If they are residents, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

how about voting if you're abroad?

Originally posted by androphobic
    how about voting if you're abroad?
    Only if you are a member of the Defences Forces, Garda or diplomatic corps on assignment overseas.

If you are going on a short work trip it just might be possible to get on the voters list.

And is there a postal vote for
    the housebound?
    And how is that organised, timeframe etc?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Earthman
    And is there a postal vote for the housebound? And how is that organised, timeframe etc?
    Take a look at the end of sceptre's link above. I understand the Special Voters scheme operates on polling day and postal votes have to arrive by polling day. A housebound person may need someone to post their postal vote for them.

Also look here: http://www.oasis.gov.ie/government_in_ireland/elections/facilities_for_voters_with_disabilities.html?PHPSESSID=d0179d9f8038c61df5b6a476cabec7e9

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/3103716?view=Eircomnet
    The commission has asked members of the public to note that the final date for entry in the supplementary register of electors is Monday May 24th. It urged people to check with their local authority to establish whether they are registered to vote.

Bumpeh!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/05/01/story145497.html
    Council urges young people to register for voting
    01/05/2004 - 3:04:13 PM

The National Youth Council is warning that up to 100,000 young people eligible to vote on June 11 may not be able to because they are not registered.

Research carried out by the group and the Central Statistics Office suggests that around 20% of 18-25-year-olds are not on the electoral register.

Spokesperson for the National Youth Council, Laura O’Mahone, said the process is far too complex and needs to be changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I am not on the register here but I am not sure if I am on the supplemental register so should I send in an application just I case?

You specificly have to ask to be on the supplemental register (I'm not usre what happens people who have just turned 18). Either give the Frnchise Department a call or just send in a form.

Advertisement