Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphonewarehouse - eircom BB €100 back offer

Options
  • 27-04-2004 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

I was just browsing the Carphonewarehouse website and noticed they were selling eircom broadband but also offering a €100 cheque for users who sign up, similar to the '3G' offer, I guess 'Gamestop' are probably doing this offer too?

I was reading the spec on the site for eircom broadband and one thing that stood out for me was this:
    The fastest internet connection available in Ireland
    full spec here

This can't be correct I'm sure lots of people have faster connections than this, i.e. corporate leased lines, NTL 1Meg etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've seen XBoxs for EUR 99 too if you sign for broadnband. Offers like that are insidious.

quote:
    The fastest internet connection available in Ireland

Of course it is nonsense.

What sort of speed connection do you thing Universities, x.I.T.s etc have?

You can use a 2M "Digital Leased line" (actually invented for 32 ch ISDN, digital PABX etc) dedicated to Internet. Not cheap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Last year, we upgraded from 2MB to 6MB leased line, and in a few weeks we're getting a new 45MB line in. Then again, we are in that kind of business........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Depends what metrics they use to messure "speed".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's also the question of who it's aimed at.

Afaik, all packages aimed at residential users are 512k. So since this carphone warehouse offer is aimed at non-business users (I'd say there's somthing about it in the T's & C's), then essentially the ad is saying

"The fastest internet connection available in Ireland (to residential users)", which is true.

The fact that Residential users can avail of business packages may be superflous, I'm not sure.

Maybe someone with experience of the ASAI can shed some light on this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by seamus

"The fastest internet connection available in Ireland (to residential users)", which is true.

I'd think IBB and NTL would disagree with that, they both have 1mb residential services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

D'oh!

Consider my point moot.

Now, is it actually advertising, or is it something else (i.e. a description of a special offer, not intended as advertising).

Advertisement