Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamweaver problem with shtml

Options
  • 27-04-2004 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

I'm trying to create a website but want to include a menu and a footer on each page. Dreamweaver allows this and when I view the page using the F12 key using IE6 the page looks fine. However when I view it by double clicking on the page from Windows Explorer I see absolutely nothing.
    Any help in solving this problem would be greatfully appreciated!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Server Side Includes need to be "executed" by software to show up. On the server-side the webserver will do this if they're enabled, and Dreamweaver emulates this behaviour to show you what the pages will look like on the server-side. In Explorer though, you're just looking at the raw file and nothing is executed. So there's no solution, that's what's supposed to happen. If you want to test the pages offline without doing it through DW, you'll need to install a local webserver.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The solution would be to install an Apache "kit" locally and use that to preview your pages...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭kahaya

Sound people thanks very much. Would IIS work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by kahaya
    Sound people thanks very much. Would IIS work?
    No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭kahaya

What types of webserver software are there other than Apache (it's a bit confusing)? I installed it but cannot figure out where to put my files!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

IIS will do SSI/.shtml

For apache, look for your files in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs (or the htdocs folder of whereever you installed it)

.cg

Advertisement