Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Squad getting smaller by the minute

• 27-04-2004 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Robbie Keane has now pulled out of the squad, we won't have many left at this rate.

You would have to question the FAI's decision to hold a friendly so near to the end of the season.

As far as I know the list now includes Roy Keane, Damien Duff, Gary Breen, Matt Holland, Jason McAteer, Kevin Kilbane, Rory Delap Paddy Kenny and David Connolly.

edit/
    Carr also
    /edit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Duffer and Robbie are the only 2 who are pritty much unreplaceable in that list (dont mention roy) ....Though i have good feelings Andy reid will put on a display with out duffer around

I still think 2-0 Andy reid to score 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Include Carr in that list, he is injured anyhow..is ginger pele fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by johnor
    is ginger pele fit?

Fit for nothing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

is robbie keane travelling, they said he wouldn't travel till today??? is he fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

is robbie keane travelling, they said he wouldn't travel till today??? is he fit?

No, concussion I think, probably caused by the fact the Spurs managed not to lose on Sunday:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

He didn't fly:

from rte:

"The medical staff at Spurs had
    another look at Robbie this morning and said it wouldn't be right for him to fly, he's still feeling sick and getting headaches"

He got concussion from a bang on the head in the game he played a full part in and scored in injury time:confused:

Also from FAI.ie

"Celtic midfielder Liam Miller and Cardiff City striker Alan Lee will both start for the first time when the Republic of Ireland take on Poland in Bydgoszcz on Wednesday (Kick off 5:00 Irish time).

Miller made his senior international bow as a substitute in last month’s 2-1 victory over the Czech Republic at Lansdowne Road while all of Lee’s three international appearances have come as a substitute.

However, withdrawals of more experienced players – Robbie Keane’s official withdrawal on Tuesday morning made it 11 in total – have opened the way for the young pair to start.

“We’ve lost a lot of the regular players, the more experienced players. It’s an opportunity for some of the younger players to get a chance and for us to expand the squad of players who have some experience before the World Cup qualifiers,” he said.

“I’ve brought some players in who are probably surprised that I’ve brought them in but I believe that they have the potential to be top players in a couple of years.

“It’s also a chance to play an away game. We’ve done very well in the home games but away games bring about different challenges and different tasks. It’s an opportunity to get used to playing away games away from the comfort zone where we have the home crowd behind us.”

One of the biggest selection dilemma’s for Kerr is who should partner captain Kenny Cunningham at centre half with Andy O’Brien, one of the stars against Brazil, and Gary Doherty, an impressive performer against the Czech Republic, both vying for the spot.

“I have to take everything into account. Andy has had an awful lot of matches lately, Gary hasn’t had so many but has still had a lot. I have to consider that one out for the well being of both players.

“Andy, it is fair to say, was up in the man of the match category against Brazil and in the game against the Czech Republic, Gary played very very well.”

Kerr also insisted he is hoping to give goalkeeper Nick Colgan a run at some stage while he is hoping that he has the opportunity to make several substations during the match to protect the players from fatigue at such an important stage of the club season.

But, as always, Kerr is looking for a good result and is demanding that his players go out for the win. “I’d like a good result. Poland have been rebuilding since the World Cup but they are a very good team.

“They look a very strong team with good attacking players as they showed by beating Italy last November.”

Republic of Ireland (probable): Given (Newcastle United); O’Shea (Manchester United), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Harte (Leeds United); S Reid (Blackburn Rovers), Kinsella (West Bromwich Albion), Miller (Celtic), A Reid (Nottingham Forest); Morrison (Birmingham City), Lee (Cardiff City). "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by cruiserweight
    No, concussion I think, probably caused by the fact the Spurs managed not to lose on Sunday:D

LOL.

Was the concussion caused by Jens Lehmann's assault on Keane?

Was the concussion caused by Jens Lehmann's assault on Keane?

Only if he suffers from the same medical condition as Makelele or Boateng, maybe there is a virus going around:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by irish1
    Republic of Ireland (probable): Given (Newcastle United); O’Shea (Manchester United), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Harte (Leeds United); S Reid (Blackburn Rovers), Kinsella (West Bromwich Albion), Miller (Celtic), A Reid (Nottingham Forest); Morrison (Birmingham City), Lee (Cardiff City). "
    Thats a good team given the circumstances. Maybe O'Brien in for Doherty though as Doc played the last game.

Republic of Ireland (probable): Given (Newcastle United); O’Shea (Manchester United), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Harte (Leeds United); S Reid (Blackburn Rovers), Kinsella (West Bromwich Albion), Miller (Celtic), A Reid (Nottingham Forest); Morrison (Birmingham City), Lee (Cardiff City).

Maybe Maybury will start and push O'Shea into the middle. Is Finnan in the squad?
    If so he will probably start at RB,O'Shea in centre or LB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by irish1
    Republic of Ireland (probable): Given (Newcastle United); O?Shea (Manchester United), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Harte (Leeds United); S Reid (Blackburn Rovers), Kinsella (West Bromwich Albion), Miller (Celtic), A Reid (Nottingham Forest); Morrison (Birmingham City), Lee (Cardiff City). "

But where's Jason Byrne?

But where's Jason Byrne?

He has a gig and had to pull out of the squad:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i think that 11 players dropped out!!! it looks like it getting harder to pull off the victory!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

it is a blow to loose so many of our key players. anyway hope the team looks like this

Given

O`Shea
    Cunningham
    O`brien
    Harte

S.Reid
    Miller
    Kinsella
    A.Reid

Morrisson
    Lee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Bah up front looks so weak :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by bizmark
    Bah up front looks so weak :dunno:

Lee is quite good, and don't forget Ginger Pele is on the bench;)

I did not realise how small the squad had gotten. If you want to pick your team go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/republic_of_ireland/3497095.stm

Three uncapped players, 6-7 with less than ten caps. I thought that we had a good chance to beat Poland, but with the squad down to the bare bones and Poland naming a full strength squad I fear for us!!!!:eek:

But we can always hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I think a draw will be a good result with the squad we have left...........

A good chance for some of the fringe players to stake a claim though.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

We have a good chance of losing our unofficial world title now... :(

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

We may have a small squad but I'm still looking forward to it. We get a chance to see Miller make his full debut. The same for Lee as Keane plays twice as good with a big man beside him and Doc was our top scorer for the qualifiers so Lee should get a few with his head too. Hopefully we'll get to see the Cunningham-O'Brien partnership again. Its A.Reid's first game on the left and S.Reid's first game in a long time, we're lacking on the right of midfield. Thats about it.:)

Angolfire's team isn't bad considering the squad. Given, Cunningham, O'Shea, O'Brien, A.Reid, Miller and Morrison are all strong contenders to start for the qualifiers. Kinsella plays better for Ireland than Holland and Harte can take a few free kicks.

I said in another thread, my bet for the game is Poland to be leading at h/t but fail to win the match, 10/1.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement