Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Memories

• 27-04-2004 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

What are your earliest football memories?

I have three I'd like to share with you.

1. World cup '86 ( I was born in Nov '79, so I was 6 ). My dad and my mam's uncle were in my sitting room watching the England -v- Argentina game, I was on the floor playing with some dinkies ( small toy cars ), when suddenly my dad starts shouting. I looked up, and saw the look on his face, he was so happy, Diego Maradonna had just scored the "Hand of God" goal, and I remember thinking, obviously in more childish terms, I must see what all the fuss is about, so I sat up beside me dad. Later in the same game, I remember thinking that the shadows on the pitch looked like spiders! Then came the second goal for Maradonna. The jinking run around five players, I was in awe, and have loved football ever since.

2. Skip to Euro '88 ( I was 8 now ). Wim Kieft scored for Holland against Ireland, he was offside, and me dad was going mad. Also in Euro '88, I have to mention van Basten's volley.

3. Italia '90 ( I was 10! ). That penalty shoot out. When Timofte missed Romania's fifth penalty kick, and me and me dad were up the walls, cheering and what have you. My mam just looking at us and laughing, telling us to calm down, we were scaring my little sister who was only 3.

Good memories, share a few with us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by seansouth

3. Italia '90 ( I was 10! ). That penalty shoot out. When Timofte missed Romania's fifth penalty kick, and me and me dad were up the walls, cheering and what have you. My mam just looking at us and laughing, telling us to calm down, we were scaring my little sister who was only 3.

Ah, I remeber it like t'were yesterday...

13 myself, and me and my old man were roaring and shouting. Then we remembered my mother was in bed trying to get a few hours kip before a night duty and we had to quieten down a little.

Memories:

1. That match against Spain in WC 2002. Sitting downstairs in Messr Maguires beside the bar, the TV, and a short distance from the toilet. Choice!!! Crying into my pint when we lost...:(

2. The tension when we played Holland at home on the way to WC 2002. Edge of seat stuff it was. Staying in the boozer expecting England to get thumped by Germany after it...:eek:

3. 1991, Gazza scoring that free kick at Wembley to help knock the Gooners out of the FA Cup. Sweet. :D

[edit]other than #3, obviously not my earliest memories[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

My earliest memory was Euro '88 Ronnie Whelan versus the USSR. I was born in 1981 so I would have been six at the time.

I have loads of memories from Italia '90. Linekers soft goal against Ireland, Quinn against Holland, a bore draw with Egypt and that shoot out against Romania. But the game I remember the most is losing to Italy 0-1.

Other vivid memories are Leeds winning the league in 92. If I remember Liverpool beat Utd and the Leeds players were shown on telly watching the match at home(I might be getting completely confused and mixed up)

Fast forward to USA '94(I was 12). The final qualifer(I was 11 then) against Northern Ireland, "goal Alan McLoughlin has found the net", a sweet left foot volley. We had a good build up beating Holland(1-0) and Germany(2-1) away. Then the Italy match, Houghtons goal and celebration and Sheridan hitting the bar. Also the Holland match, McGrath's disallowed goal and Bonners mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The year Arsenal won the League at Anfield (1989?), live on tv on a friday night. Arsenal needed to win by 2 clear goals, otherwise Liverpool would win the league. Arsenal scored with only a few mins to go, to win either 3-1 or 2-0 ( I can't remember the exact circumstances, I was only 9 )

My dad supports Liverpool, and he was crying on the sitting room floor, and I was just standing there, looking at him. I'd never seen my dad cry before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by seansouth
    1. World cup '86 ( I was born in Nov '79, so I was 6 ).
    Can you seriously remember that at the age of 6? I was born in '82 and I can only barely remember the 94 world cup.:dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Can you seriously remember that at the age of 6? I was born in '82 and I can only barely remember the 94 world cup.:dunno:

Yeah, it's such a vivid memory, I mentioned my mam's uncle, and I remember it so well, he is english, and was visiting us for the few weeks around that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Can you seriously remember that at the age of 6? I was born in '82 and I can only barely remember the 94 world cup

I was born in 81, and I can remember parts of Euro '88 and all of Ireland's matches from Italia'90 and for some reason a match between Argentina and Yugoslavia(I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

83 Cup Final. United v Brighton. Watched in Florida while on hols and was 10 years old.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The penalty shootout in 1990 of course. You can't forget anything like that. The town was going mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I remember Italia 90. i remmber bein pissed at Schillachi(sp?), thats when i started paying attention to football. i was born in 83 so i woulda been 7. i was in 2nd class i think, and the reason i started noticing football was because my teacher brought in all the lyrics to the football songs. So we were made sing them in class so everyone walkin past would just hear 30 kids shoutin "Give it a lash jack, give it a lash jack, never never never say NO, Ireland Ireland" etc and "we're all part of jackies army, we're all off to Italy, and we'll really shake them up, when we win the world cup" etc etc. feckin brilliant days. we need to have football songs like that again. but then again, i suppose we need to qualify for a competition first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

my earliest memory is the ireland romania penalty shootout. I think.
    I can remember when it was over,I went up to bed,and I heard a load of screaming and cheering out on the street. I went down to my dad and asked what all the noise was. There was then knock on the door, and my dad picked me up in his arms while he was going to answer it. So then he answers it and a couple of drunk(or so I was led to believe) 17yr olds were at the door cheering..so what does my dad do? he hands me over to them, and they start hugging me and whatnot...

note that I was 3 at the time. Dont have a great memory of it. All I really remember is the noise,and the drunks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

bonnars save in italy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

never watched a game of footie before euro '88, i was 9,
    and have been a ireland fanatic since.

- 1988 whelans volley

- 1990 all of it bar egypt game

- 1993 we get a late equaliser against n. irl and hold for a draw,
    then watching the final minutes as spain hold a 1-0 lead over denmark,
    just enough for us to qualify

- 1994 everton 3-2 wimbledon
    ..last day of season, blues need win to survive, go 2-0 down at home but pull it back and win it late on

- 1994 (usa) ireland 1-0 italy...amazing night at home

- 1995 everton 1-0 utd, fa cup final, in the good auld Peacock pub behind O'Connel st cause nowhere else served our gang of 16 year olds

- 2001 irl 1-0 holland...thought we were finished when kelly was sent off then along came jayo!

- 2002 robbies equaliser against germany, from the side view i had in the stadium it took me, and everyone around me, several seconds to realise the ball went in...a bit like mccarthys slow but stunned reaction :D
    then 1000's singin in the stadium after, on the train home and on the streets of ropongi :)

probably my craziest reaction to a goal though was robbies 90 min penalty against spain. ran out of my seat and went ****ing loco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by The_B_Man
    I "Give it a lash jack, give it a lash jack, never never never say NO, Ireland Ireland"......."we're all part of jackies army, we're all off to Italy, and we'll really shake them up, when we win the world cup"

...some classic tunes back then alright.

I have the 2nd one (Ireland - Put 'em under pressure) on mp3, the one with the planxty rift, Jack's quotes and that chorus!
    Still sounds fantastic.
    RTE had an italia 90 special on a couple of years ago with a night of programs following the team and fans there and at home. All brought a tear to the eye :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Right...some of my earliest memories...

1. 1984 Spurs win the UEFA Cup. On penos, away from home in a 2 leg affair. Definitely the earliest match I remember. Stuck with supporting Spurs ever since, so not a particularly happy memory...;)

2. A Kevin Keegan header, either for Newcastle or Southampton. Some time in the 80s, I can't recall who, but it was a real thumper. I remember Keegan being interviewed for Match Of the Day and saying how hard the contact had been. Ouch!

3. Gary Mabbutt OG in the 1987 FA Cup Final. I was 10, and had been forced to sing for my school choir that morning at a confirmation. Was still in my Sunday finest watching the match we were *supposed* to win...:( Clive Allen had an amazing season that year, 49 goals all told IIRC.

4. Ronnie Whelan's goal against the USSR. Real Roy Of The Rovers stuff.

5. Watching WC qualifiers through 1988/89 in our school's PE hall on a TV, because we were 6th class we got to sit at the front...nice.

Finally, from a couple of years ago...Bradford winning to stay in the Premiership and send Wimbledon down. I will never forget the stadium (and camera) shaking like bejaysus during the match...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

earliest i can remmeber was world cup qualify vs denmark at home in 1992 wen quinn scored that header.

wen we beat italy in 94' :):)

wen keane scored vs germany in 2002 :):)

and of course the penalties vs spain :( that was horrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by knobbles
    I have the 2nd one (Ireland - Put 'em under pressure) on mp3, the one with the planxty rift, Jack's quotes and that chorus!
    Still sounds fantastic.

Ick, hadn't heard that track in a long time but they played it at Old Trafford the other night dedicated to Keano. I think it sounds really dated now - my g/f had never heard it before, she turned to me and asked if it was a pi$$ take!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by SteM
    Ick, hadn't heard that track in a long time but they played it at Old Trafford the other night dedicated to Keano. I think it sounds really dated now - my g/f had never heard it before, she turned to me and asked if it was a pi$$ take!
    I heard it too. I thought it sounded class! :D Love the riff.

I wonder what Keano was thinking when he was hearing Charlton's voice on the song! :D

Advertisement