Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

something funny happened on the way to limerick

Options
  • 27-04-2004 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

I was driving to Limerick last evening , I was motoring along when I looked in my rearview mirror and there was a patrol car coming up behind me , I checked my speed {65 approx}, so the patrol car passed me like I was parked, so I sped up a little , the patrol car was just approaching the top of the hill when he hit his brakes 6 times in sucession , so I reduced my speed to the limit , come over the top of the hill and there is a speed trap there, lucky me...........:ninja:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Lucky the cop car slowed down or he would have been done for speeding. Ha Ha, sure.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was following a speeding squad car from Virginia towards Kells at a little [ahem] over the limit (kept about a mile back from him).
    Coming towards Carnaross [having lost him because of the bends] I was aware that this town has a ridiculous limit boundary and the plod are often there so I slowed right down to 40 and as I passed the 40mph sign there he was getting his speed trap ready.
    So it is alright to speed if you are a garda on your way to do people for speeding.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I was heading to Waterford a few months back as just on the Moone/Timolin bypass
    on the left as you are heading towards Carlow there is a small clearing where
    some Tractor dealer has his wares in show and the cops are always in here..

I was doing about 65 and knowing the cops are usually around I slowed to just
    above 55.. so that was fine, next thing I glanced in my rear view mirror and suddenly
    there is this cop car tearing up the road, lights flashing, sirens blazing.. needless
    to say my heart sank as I thought theres 2 points for me..

Luckily enough they p*ssed past me obviously heading for some incident in carlow..
    :D:D:D:D

Needless to say Im always checking my speed going on that road now as its soooo
    easy to hit 70 and not even realise it..

On another note, a guy I know was in court for an accident he had a few months
    back and the guy ahead of him was on a speeding charge, something like 45 in a 40
    zone, his defence was that he was slowing down and that he didnt know the road
    as it was his first time driving in Limerick using that road and he just didnt realise
    in time and anyway, how could he keep his eye on the road and on his speed at the
    same time..

The judge let him away with it.. Jammy git.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The cops are often at the Texaco garage on that Moone bypass (n9). If I recall correctly, its just after a huge downhill section so people come flying down straight into the arms of the waiting gardaí. I've seen them setting up the radar on one of the flyovers too with a squad car waiting a mile down the road to catch people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

These are some to the lovely things I have seen in reguards cops and rules of the road...

1) I am driving along at the limit and have a cop pass at a rate without either sirens or lights on. This can be on a 30 or 40 or 60 mph road.

2) Seeing a cop on his mobile while going around a roundabout!!

3) Seeing cops use their lights to get past traffic only to pull into a petrol station a mile up the road and get a couple of cups of coffee!!

4) I had a cop car break a red light at a junction and as a result I nearly ended up getting t boned by the cop. No lights on sirens if I did not have good breaks and ABS it was going to be an accident. My light was green and had been as two cars that where waiting at the lights has both gone through the junction. When I managed to stop he was already out enough to have hit me. Then he just waved and drove off!!!!

So when you see things like this week in week out how the heck are we meant to have faith in the force?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Originally posted by kayos
    These are some to the lovely things I have seen in reguards cops and rules of the road...

1) I am driving along at the limit and have a cop pass at a rate without either sirens or lights on. This can be on a 30 or 40 or 60 mph road.

Without having a radio scanner in your car you do not know what or where these guys are heading too.

Anyhow they are exempt from most road rules including speeding. If you were exempt from speeding would you travel along at exactly the speed limit ??

but can they successfully enforce a law if they appear to break themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Anyhow they are exempt from most road rules including speeding.
    As far as I know they are exempt from most rules only when on the way to an emergency, ie when they have their lights flashing. Garda cars, ambulances and fire brigades are not allowed use bus lanes (for example) unless they are dealing with an emergency.

There was a case recently where an ambulance driver in the UK got done for speeding on his way to an emergency because he didn't have his emergency lights flashing.

Originally posted by Chief---
    Without having a radio scanner in your car you do not know what or where these guys are heading too.
    Anyhow they are exempt from most road rules including speeding. If you were exempt from speeding would you travel along at exactly the speed limit ??

I dont have a scanner and as said by a few others if the cops have the lights on then fine, if they dont then they are (or at least should be) bound by the same rules. I dont see why a cop should be allowed to fly up a 30MPH road at 60MPH when he is just on the way back to the station to have a cup of coffee and a donut FFS.

Even if they are allowed to break the speed limit surely they are not allowed to do points 2-4 in my above post. The thing is thats not even the worst story I have about cops.... try working in a pub all day and when returning home that evening being asked to blow into a bag at a check point, due to a smell of drink in the car, by an officer who you served pints to all day and is now driving a squad car!!!! Lets put it this way I asked him to blow first as a test cause I wanted to see the effect of the 4-5 pints I had served him would have!! How are we, as a society, meant to trust the guards to uphold the law when we see cases where they are breaking it everyday.

try working in a pub all day and when returning home that evening being asked to blow into a bag at a check point, due to a smell of drink in the car, by an officer who you served pints to all day
    A few years back I was out drinking with a friend, his father and a local garda. I had been there for about 4 or 5 rounds (and I arrived late!).
    I remember my friends da asking if we all wanted another and the garda said no that he had to head off to work and that he was in the car that night!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

by an officer who you served pints to all day and is now driving a squad car!!!!
    And did you report him?

Originally posted by Victor
    And did you report him?

And what would be done? How could I prove it?He was not exactly going to blow into the bag for me now was he? Yes I know now that I should have reported him but I was about 18 when this happened (7 years ago). Any way the same cop left the force a few months later.

Advertisement