Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blatter says no draws.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

that is the same guy who wanted to make women footballers' outfits show off their figures better so as to improve viewing figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, well maybe not all of his ideas are bad ones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I'd start watching!

but seriously the man is a class A moron!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Fifa President suggested that matches should be decided by a penalty shoot-out in the case of a draw, as it was not in the spirit of sport to have a game without winners or losers

Just cos its a draw that does'nt mean one team has'nt done better than the other. All results have to be put in the context of a league...Blatters idiotic attempts to Americanise footie continues.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Someone remove him from power and take him out of our misery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Next he will want penalties taken from the half way line a la MLS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

how can he get away with comments like that? change is good and needs to happen regularly and experimented with but thats just ridiculous. why cant we just have a good old fashioned brit in the job instead.

no rubbish, just gets on with the job and keeps soccer alive and interesting.

on a sidenote, anyone notice how much advertising on arses is growing? you often see kits in la liga, italy maybe too with this. its a bit ott. that sort of stuff shouldnt be allowed, it just shows business is taking over soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by smemon
    how can he get away with comments like that?
    Unfortunately from a financial perspective Blatter is one of the most succesful FIFA presidents ever. He has steered FIFA back from the financial disaster of the Kirch media company collapse to post big profits and leave them in eventual total control of the media rights to the World Cup. All the Associations think he's deadly cos he makes money so he can get away with talking the total bollox that he does.

It's a pity that being able to generate cash is seen as more important than having a genuine sense of what makes football great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

He is crazy, so out of touch with football issues, no wonder uefa dislike him so much....this is his most ridiculous one yet i think....cant remember a worse one, altough if there was one i wouldnt be shocked.

john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

Blatters idiotic attempts to Americanise footie continues.
    Yeh next it'll be 5 points for a goal and 2 if it goes over the bar:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

the sooner they get rid of him the better although i like his idea about the womens soccer outfits!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

This Idea may seem mstupid to most of you and me , but .
    Its already like this in Japan and South Korera .
    So its not like this idea came out of nowhere .

But i think its a bad one , and a lot of the time in football there deserves to be no winner . Or loser for that matter .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by cruiserweight

Penalties are taken from 18 yards and the striker dribbles in , but he only has a certain amount of time before he has to shoot .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

"When you play cards or any other game, there's always a winner and a loser."

He's obviously never watched cricket - they play for 5 days and still draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    "When you play cards or any other game, there's always a winner and a loser."

He's obviously never watched cricket - they play for 5 days and still draw.

And I still can't my head around that...we scored 900, they got 5...so its a draw...:confused:

Blatter is a grade A moron. He is showing no respect for the tradition of football. Leave the beautiful game alone you tosser!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Ok...this must be a late april fools joke. Is he on crack?
    That is the most ridiculous suggestion i have ever heard. If it aint broke dont fix it. It would suit him better to put his efforts into bringing in some kind of facility for video refeering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I actually believe that this suggestion is worth thinking about, maybe worth trying on an experimental basis. The article doesnt explain it properly.

If this was brought in, it would mean there would be 3 points in every game. Teams who draw would still get a point each, but there would be a penalty shootout and the team that wins that would get an extra point (i.e. 2 points).

I've been at a few boring games that have ended 0-0, and I would certainly have liked to have seen a penalty shootout at the end to at least get some excitement and value!

The negative is that it may encourage teams to play for draws more - but I honestly don't think it will change the way most teams approach the game. Teams generally will still want to get the 3 points for an outright win - as well as denying their opponents any points.

I think you miss the point Rooster.

Lets say TeamA is top of the league, undefeated for a season, and TeamB are bottom, having only been promoted from the lower division.

Now, a draw for TeamA may be considered a bad result, and the failure to pick up maximum points could ultimately mean they don't win the league. However, a draw for TeamB is a good result, they may not have considerd they would even get a draw, and this point could ultimately decide if they stay in the Division, or get relegated.

Draws are good for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Penalties are the worst way of deciding match but unfortunately they are the only way to decide cup matches after a possible replay and extra time. It's all down to luck on the day really, nobody can predict who would win a penalty shootout.

Football is an English game, why is Blatter the president? I can't imagine a foreign president of the GAA.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Football is an English game, why is Blatter the president? I can't imagine a foreign president of the GAA.

Come on! Would you argue if someone like Franz Beceknbaur was president of FIFA?

Football was invented in England sure, but it has become the only truly international sport, people all over the world love the game. Unfortunately, one of these people is not Sepp Blatter.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by seansouth
    Come on! Would you argue if someone like Franz Beceknbaur was president of FIFA?
    Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Draws are good for the game.

There would still be draws, its just that teams would have the chance to turn their one point draw into a two point draw by winning a penalty shootout. And the fans get a bit more excitement.

While there is an element of lottery about penalty shootouts, generally the lads with the better temprement, technique and bottle fare better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Football365 have had some good suggestions in about what to do if there's a draw....

I think my favourite is
    ...If a game is level at the end of 90 minutes, why not play on, but introduce an extra ball every five minutes for another half hour? This way we could guarantee more goals and incidents..

Well...it's almost as ludicrous as abolishing draws.

Before Mr Blatter knows it, Railtrack will be knocking at his door with suggestions of this calibre..
    Steven Coupe, Manchester

Football is an international game and that is it's beauty. You appear to have mislaid your brain.

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Football is an international game and that is it's beauty. You appear to have mislaid your brain.
    jesus, stop with the personal insults, it was only a bloody question. GAA could become an international sport but if some foreigner became president and tried to change the rules I'm sure the Irish would be unhappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I dont agree with the Blatter suggestion, but I do think that at all times the rules should be adjusted and evolved to encourage attacking, skillful and entertaining play.

Its questionable whether a draw should be abandoned completely, but one way perhaps is to use other aspects of the game to decide who is the better team on the day, for example shots on target (if one team is say 10% ahead of the other), or amount of time the ball is in an "attack zone" (although that may be difficult to measure), etc. Penalties are in many cases a lottery (one game in the African cup a few years back ended up 19-18 on pens).

Its not easy to come up with a fair way that encorages good and positive play rather than negative play (eg: does a long hoist from the back straight at the keeper constitute a valid shot on goal, etc). Maybe we all need to put our thinking caps on.

-redspider

GAA could become an international sport but if some foreigner became president and tried to change the rules I'm sure the Irish would be unhappy.
    GAA isn't an international game, football is. Almost every country in the world has a stake in football only Ireland and a couple of Irish communities abroad have a stake in GAA. One nationality doesn't confer a greater stake in football than another. Blatter's suggestion should be disregarded because it is stupid not because of his nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Blatter's suggestion should be disregarded because it is stupid not because of his nationality.

Yeah but he is Swedish! :D The chef would proberly have better ideas...

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Originally posted by cruiserweight

As far as I know, the MLS have stopped with that a year or two back. I think it's just the traditional 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement