Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 2 Specs Possibly Leaked

Options
  • 27-04-2004 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

Got this from Gizmodo.

xbox2_prototype.jpg
    A 'leaked' schematic detailing the architecture of Microsoft's upcoming Xbox 2 has the web roiling this morning, both from the more-than-respectable trio of 3.5GHz PowerPC processors at the helm as well as debate about the leak's legitimacy. While some have speculated that Xbox Next will be powered by AMD, all signs (including public press releases) have said to expect IBM processors inside, so that adds at least a little credence to the leaked specs. What strikes me as odd is the waffling on whether or not a hard drive will be included (the schematics list the hard drive as "built in not decided"). At this point in development that should be locked down, although there's no telling how old these schematics are, if legitimate.

It's also interesting that the PowerPC processors are clocked at 3.5GHz, considering Apple's G5 PowerMacs (which share a similar PowerPC-based chip) are equipped with dual 3GHz chips 2GHz (Sorry, I was dreaming) right now--how is Microsoft going to sell a triple 3.5GHz machine at an affordable price, even if the Xbox Next doesn't launch until next year?

Also see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/27/xbox_2_architecture/

Sorry if posted before etc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

The shape is like a Nokia 7600 when I glance at it first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah it looks like somebody make a render based off the nokia phone, and made up specs. Three processors? I seriously doubt it. Dual processors would be difficult enough for most programmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

http://www.anandtech.com/#22066

It'll more than likely be 3 970fx cores in one package.
    And it'll more than likely be some sort of square/rectangular shape.
    It has to have a decent footprint, look at almost every console in the last 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Is it just me or does anyone else remember seeing a picture something like that before the first X-Box came out?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by JCDenton
    Is it just me or does anyone else remember seeing a picture something like that before the first X-Box came out?

I remember it being just an X, with the green bit in the middle a lava lamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    I remember it being just an X, with the green bit in the middle a lava lamp.

Yeah that was cool - a silver/shiny X with a green centre... like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

*large pinch of salt needed here*

wouldn't believe a word of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

it has been reported as a fake

Advertisement