Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ipod want to change from mac to pc

Options
  • 27-04-2004 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

i got a ipod when i was in paris a couple of weeks ago its a mac version gen 2 the one without the four bottons across the front its the one with the scroll wheel at frist my pc did not pick it up when i pluged it in im useing the firewire cable that came with it im also pluging it into my sound card firewire port audigy 2 zs i got it in afair over there but did not get the ac power adapter so ive left it charge for hours on end i download a software updater that reformated the ipod to fat32 and it now shows up on my pc and my itunes adds my music to it i can see folders when i explore my ipod drive there is calenders folder and contacts and also ipod_ control folder in this there is Device Music iTunes but when i unplug the ipod from the system it would not power up on its own im getting nothing is there anything that im doing wrong can anyone help with this plz

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The firewire ports on creative soundcards aren't fully compliant to the IEEE1394 firewire standard (creative call them SB1394), so the ipod can't charge off them. An AC adaptor should have come with it. My american Gen3 ipod came with one - tiny little white box. You plug the firewire cable from the ipod into the charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by Stephen
    The firewire ports on creative soundcards aren't fully compliant to the IEEE1394 firewire standard (creative call them SB1394), so the ipod can't charge off them. An AC adaptor should have come with it. My american Gen3 ipod came with one - tiny little white box. You plug the firewire cable from the ipod into the charger.

Some iPods charge off the SB1394. My 3G one does for example.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Didn't know that, have heard lots of reports of the SB1394 ports not being able to charge ipods. I guess they vary from version to version of the soundcards/ipods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Ouch, got a headache trying to read the original post due to lack of full stops. However, my Audigy 2's pseudo firewire charges my iPod no probs..... dunno what gen it is (got it this Christmas), but also got that little charging plug with it, never use it tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

but also got that little charging plug with it, never use it tough.

You'll destroy the battery that way !

AGH !! My eyes !!!

After reading the first post a couple of times I gather the guy didn't get the charge/pdu with his iPod, seems unusual that ! I'd try a different firewire port on a new card or another pc, see if that works.

ZENER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Hey ZENER, I never use the charger either. I always charge it off the PC's firewire port. Are you saying that will destroy the battery in the iPod?

Depends on how you "charge" it. If by charge you mean while you upload data to it leave it a little while you check email etc than that wont do your battery much good, thats only partially topping up.

Ideally the iPod or any device with a rechargable battery should be used until the battery is nearly or completely dead.

Many people have a habit - myself included - of sticking them back on charge after just 5 or 10 % of battery is gone.

Use the full charge of the battery at least once a week and charge fully uninterupted until full.

ZENER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by iwb
    Hey ZENER, I never use the charger either. I always charge it off the PC's firewire port. Are you saying that will destroy the battery in the iPod?

It wont destroy it. However it is Better to charge it directly from the mains

Edit:
    Ideally the iPod or any device with a rechargable battery should be used until the battery is nearly or completely dead.

This is not the case With Li-Ion Battery's. Li-Ion Battery's only have about 500 full charge and dischage cycles.

I'd recommend "topping up" the iPod when your not using it. Leave it on the Dock or somehthing. It is not possible to Overchage this type of battery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Fair enough. The way I use it, I leave it on overnight to charge and then use it all day. I mostly bring it back dead or near dead for another charge.
    Using it this way, does it make any difference which way I charge it, mains or Firewire?

This is not the case With Li-Ion Battery's. Li-Ion Battery's only have about 500 full charge and dischage cycles.

True for the most part, but:

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate.

I gather by fuel gauge it means batteries that keep track if there charge state and give anoutput to the host equipment, e.g. laptops etc. Not sure if it applies to iPods though.

ZENER

• Advertisement
Advertisement