Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wanted: Large Saloon

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

no bother. i'd be interested myself but i don't fancy being bent over a barrel but an insurance company. even with a 50% discount i'm being quoted 2500 for a 1.6. good luck with the car, she looks to be in good nick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

I recommend the Alfa 164 too.

You will get a good spec and the 2.0 twin spark is adequate but the 3.0 v6 is an animal.

One of your requirements is to have something different and this definitely is but it is stylish too.

Only problem is finding one!!!

Other than that I would go for the Saab because you are more likely to get high spec for the same money as a low spec BMW or Merc and again it is different.

Also CBG, Autotrader, Car Zone, etc are not the best places to look for a car like this.

Try the local paper classified sections and also there are plenty of independent car sales places.

That's my two cent.

I will keep an eye open for ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I actually found a 164 in Tivoli the other day, but it had panel damage. First one I've seen on my travels though.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

was it a red one?

Nope, kinda mid-blue metallic. Nasty scrape down both doors on the offside.

adam

• Advertisement

Finally got myself sorted, thank the gods. 1993 BMW 525i, 85k on the clock, very clean inside and out, with an exhaust note that makes me ever so slightly moist. There's a few photos here, as I bought it, and just after I applied about fifty euros worth of Auto Glym goop. It has a few small dings and scratches, but they only show up if you look for them. I should have waited until Monday to polish it though, cos I can't drive it until Tuesday (insurance) and now it's just sitting in the drive taunting me. "Drive me! Drive me!" :)

Thanks to everyone who helped me out here, particularly those of you that actually went looking for and at cars for me -- you know who you are, make sure you come along to the next Boards Beer Cork so I can buy you a few pints.

Two questions to kick off the next round: a) Yerman said that the windows were one touch but I can't find any one-touch action, am I missing something? The switches are on the center console; and b) I hate the chrome round the windows, is there any way of getting rid of it? Aftermarket black trim perhaps?

adam

Figured out the windows anyway, you need to just jab at it for one-touch. The two-stage buttons that you get in most new cars are more intuitive.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks grand Adam, as for after-market tweaking I suggest you google BMW Accessories or similair then wade through pages of crap to find what you want (as I've found out with Mercs most sites are American).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice one Adam!

I wish you the very best of luck with that grand looking beamer. Note of warning: you're unlikely to change make ever again :D

Site I found very useful during my E34 ownership.

Tell us all about the specs. How much did you pay for it? How much for the insurance?

Oh, and hate to say this but HF was wrong and I was right :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by unkel

Site I found very useful during my E34 ownership.

Try this one instead :) - http://www.bmwe34.net/

Mike.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by unkel
    I wish you the very best of luck with that grand looking beamer. Note of warning: you're unlikely to change make ever again
    Cheers unkel, but believe me, I will. I'm not a one brand kinda guy.
    Tell us all about the specs. How much did you pay for it? How much for the insurance?
    Errah, the specs aren't stellar but they're fine for me: leccy windows all round so the youngfella'll be happy with it; leccy sunroof; Pioneer tape deck (which has to go); fabric interior, but apart from a fag burn on thr drivers seat it's immaculate. Has all the original BMW bits and pieces which is surprising -- including, would you believe, a fully stocked first aid kit. No rear headrests, but I'll fit them meself, assuming I don't tint the windows.

Engine seems to be the standard 2.5, I'm pretty sure the mechanic would have mentioned if there were any add-ons and I reckon the previous owners were pretty conservative. Stock suspension, might upgrade that later. Not mad about the wheels, but I don't have the dosh for an upgrade right now, mebbe later. And like I said, the exhaust note is rather erotic.

Paid €3528.79 for it, would you believe? He wanted €3550 and I asked him for luck on it so he gave me €20, and I found €1.21 inside in it. :) Insure.ie are quoting me about €1100 for insurance online, so I'll ring around and haggle a bit on Tuesday, hopefully should be able to get it down to about a grand.
    Oh, and hate to say this but HF was wrong and I was right
    What or who is HF? Only HF I know is this, which I wish I had the money for...

adam

Advertisement