Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from 48:1 to 24:1 - any noticable difference?

• 28-04-2004 12:19am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone who has made the change has noticed any difference in performance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

nope contension was never a problem so no differnce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by dub45
    Just wondering if anyone who has made the change has noticed any difference in performance?

Yeah...it's slower.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    Yeah...it's slower.

No, it's not, I had the 48:1 product from NS and now I have the 24:1 product from NS (had no choice in the matter, they autmatically upgrade you and it costs e50 to downgrade) and I have seen no difference in speed.

There aren't enough people on bb in Ireland to make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

On UTV speeds have been good since they fixed the Easter problems. Maybe pings are a bit steadier now at peak times, but there's no way to check is there.
    Anyone on 48:1 utv out there? Has you found pings rising/downloads speeds falling at peak times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Pings tend to get a bit higher between 6-10PM on 48:1 UTV, but not so high that you can't play games on them :) Download speeds have been good since they fixed the easter problems too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Yeah, 48:1 UTV here too.. Downloads have been in the high 40's or low 50's (very rarely touches 50) since the easter fix. Pings arent much concern to me but iirc I'm getting about 60/70 to boards

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by rymus
    Yeah, 48:1 UTV here too.. Downloads have been in the high 40's or low 50's (very rarely touches 50) since the easter fix. Pings arent much concern to me but iirc I'm getting about 60/70 to boards

Yes UTV has improved remarkably since their 'troubles' speeds are very consistent now. (Anytime I have ever written similar in the past things have gone belly up almost immediately so I apologise in advance to all Clicksilver users for the troubles to follow:)

Originally posted by rymus

ahaa, I've found I get constant 52-54K download speeds even at peak times and I was pinging 45ish to UK counter strike servers last night. Maybe there is a noticable difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

langer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I never noticed any diffrence after the initial problems with netsource everything smoothed out and I've been happy as pie since November last year.

If the lower contention has made any difference it might be a tiny reduction in ping but I could just be imagining that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

On UTV 48:1 here too. I find that i ping better to UK servers than Irish servers. I get around 40/55 on the Battlefield Vietnam EAUK servers, which i think is pretty respectable. Although some non irish servers get a bit laggy sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

The only difference I'm noticing on 48:1 is the €180.12 I'm saving per year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Hi, im about to switch from 24:1 to 48:1 on the netsource service (512), can anyone advise me?

i dont do much gaming/downloads, its primarily for web and the odd streaming video etc

Should i stay or should i take the leap and save some wads?

save your money. From what people are saying there's not much difference, if any, between them.....only the higher cap.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by dwayneburke
    Hi, im about to switch from 24:1 to 48:1 on the netsource service (512), can anyone advise me?

i dont do much gaming/downloads, its primarily for web and the odd streaming video etc

Should i stay or should i take the leap and save some wads?

I assume you are bout to switch down to the cheaper products.

You will see no difference between 24:1 and 48:1 other then CAP.

But save your money, NS charge something like e50 to change (complete rip off, Eircom only charge NS e15 Excl VAT for the change). You might as well change off NS altogether and go with IOL, who are cheaper then NS. It is what I'm going to do.

Advertisement