Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving south =)

Options
  • 28-04-2004 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey all,

I am moving south within the month for a year to work in Sun in dublin (I am a student on placement).

I have a few questions about southern broadband comparing to up here...

Ok, my current ISP is f2s... there brilliant... always up... good speed, no download caps.

I have worked it out that on the average day... I usually completly max out my dsl line (lets just say I download a lot of "linux distributions") so I download 3.5gb per day... if it was a 1024k line... it would probably be 7gb per day.

So that works out at roughly 105gb per month. Now I get all this for £22.

So I have been looking around, and it appears that the best I can find is ntl (1gb per day) the rest... well... lets do the math:

take eircom: 8gb limit per MONTH... right now... takin that a 56k modem is 10times slower, (as they advertise) than a 512 line... if I were to download on it constantly... for the month... I would get:

(3.5GB/10) * 30 days = 10.5gb... so eircom are basically asking me to pay for a service that has no benefit to me at all. it's actually a hinderence.

So to round up my rant... here are my questions:

Do ntl enforce their download cap?
    if so, is there any service at a resonable price... (remembering that this type of service should be 33euro)?
    or am I doomed to have to ask myself everytime I download somethin in the south... shud I use my precious limit on it?

cheers

NeoCORE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

How very northern...

But yeah, basically you're screwed. 'Course if you're working for Sun then I should't imagine b.width will be a problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You're doomed...

You might not even get to have BB at all. Never mind cap.

At least you can get a phone and TV channels. When I moved "South" from the "North" in Jan 1983, Phones were like golddust and we had two poor reception TV channels. Possibly only from the afternoon. I *had* been working BBC not long previous!

Our ESAT BB (in office) is about Euro 45 per month and has no cap at all. Nr. Raheen in Limerick.

I live about 4Km away and can't get BB at all.

The phone line basically is nearly unusable for Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by watty

Our ESAT BB (in office) is about Euro 45 per month and has no cap at all. Nr. Raheen in Limerick.

how is you office getting it so cheap? the cheapest esat bt dsl is €90 ex vat

remember NeoCORE ntl are only in a few places in dublin chances are you wont be in their area

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hi NeoCORE,

You are right, BB is crap in the south compared to the north. You can see a comparison at the following of all the DSL products in Ireland:
    IOFFL DSL comparison table (about half ways down the page).

NTL would be your best bet, but it is only available in a very small number of places in Dublin and all of those places are inconveniently far from the Sun offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by tuxx
    how is you office getting it so cheap? the cheapest esat bt dsl is €90 ex vat

remember NeoCORE ntl are only in a few places in dublin chances are you wont be in their area
    We had 1M free as trial. They wanted 90 but agreed 45 for lower BW. Apart from one or two hiccups durning free trial at beginning it is fine. We had it free over a year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Why don't you just move to an area with IrishBroadband,
    with service and price comparable to whats available in the north
    (I know I moved down six weeks ago) ...

www.IrishBroadband.ie

BTW if you are downloading 105gb worth of stuff a month (linux distros .... ) ... you should really think about getting more natural light ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

NTL do not enforce the "cap". They actually have the same terms in the North and mainland UK (1GB/day), however it isn't really enforced. If you can get it that is, as availability even in Dublin is not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

Anyone heard the UTV ad offering broadband for £24.99 in the North and €29.99 in the south
    By my reckoning that makes NI €10 dearer

Advertisement