Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Personal" Reg Plates ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

how much does he pay red ice if you dont mind me asking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Pardon my ignorance, but under the new Irish system, what happens if you move to another county?

Do you have to re-register and get new plates with the appropriate county, or do you just keep the original number?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

car would need to be re-registered, given a new reg #, charged appropriate fee and made get new plates.

Presumably under the old system re-registration was not done when moving to another area? (e.g. a xDI ### Roscommon number could stay with the car if someone moved to Cork?)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

apologies i saw country not county
    if you move from 1 county to another this has no effect on the car's reg plate nor did it ever. The reg is given based on the county of 1st registration and never changes.
    However, if you buy a car and you live in Roscommon then it gets a RN reg and you pay your motor tax to Rn Co.Co. but if you move to Cork you are then meant to pay the annual tax to Cork Co. Co.

• Advertisement

Ah, thanks. So no re-registration when moving counties then.

Road tax used to be handled by individual county/borough councils in England prior to 1974, at which time everything was transferred to DVLC in Swansea.

Haven't I read something about a new Irish vehicle licensing center in Shannon that's going to take over registrations? Will road tax still be paid to individual councils then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by PBC_1966
    Ah, thanks. So no re-registration when moving counties then.

Road tax used to be handled by individual county/borough councils in England prior to 1974, at which time everything was transferred to DVLC in Swansea.

Haven't I read something about a new Irish vehicle licensing center in Shannon that's going to take over registrations? Will road tax still be paid to individual councils then?

Shannon already controls the registration and ownership records of all vehicles registered in Ireland since 1993. Shannon also now issues tax discs to people who use the online taxing service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

there is a car driving around the north with the reg plate
    TU1280

i.e Turbo

go for it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Originally posted by Nuttzz
    how much does he pay red ice if you dont mind me asking

im not sure tbh, i remember him muttering it being something between 300-600 quid... not sure tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

The car with the 'TURBO' reg is a Porsche 911 - I have a photo of it at Mosney Car Show in 2000.

• Advertisement
Advertisement