Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJ Zinc?

• 28-04-2004 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

alright, i'm thinking of heading to Zinc this sunday in Galway... what kind of tunage can i expect?
    how hard would he play compared to... say... Hype? (the only other d&b dj i've seen in recent years)

looking forward to this night. deburgos has some funny memories attatched to it from back when 091 started there:p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'd imagine he'd be along the same lines as Hype, i.e. sh1te. Most of the big-name UK DJs I've seen in the past few years have been banging out the crappy commercial muck that's popular in the UK at the moment. It's the hard house of DnB IMO. If Zinc has also gone the way of these **** it's a pity, as in his day he was a great producer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

actually i would say zinc is one of the best if not the best uk drum and bass dj there is... he pisses all over hype imo, and his own productions are pretty much the best thing about that whole true playaz/ganja/frontline/bingo stable.... he plays very varied sets and its always really good party music... he runs a breakbeat label as well and he's known for switching his tempo up and down a lot... i would definitely go and see him, the man is a don and i normally hate the big uk "wobblestep" djs...
    his scratching is waaay better than hypes as well.

in terms of what he'll play its anyones guess, but the last mix of his i downloaded was december and it was all pretty "zincy" stuff... party basslines, little acappellas, the odd growly tune and lots of stuff that wont hit the shops for at least another six to eight months. you wont regret it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I hope so tyranny, because I really don't like the way DnB has been going the past few years. Hype fu<king sold the farm as far as I'm concerned, I left his last gig in the TMBC early because I didn't want to listen to the sh1te he was banging out any longer. The only reason I was there in the first place was because it was a mate's birthday.

I haven't seen Zinc, but I'll be glad if he's keeping it real unlike the rest of the UK crowd. He's one of my favourite DnB producers, and it would sadden me to see him belting out whatever crap bad company or whoever have last released.

well zinc always did keep it varied, thats what i always liked about him... hype is too far gone, but dont forget that back in the mid-nineties when super sharp shooter etc came out EVERYBODY called hype and crew cheesy druggy kids jungle... and it far outsold the sort of stuff photek seba dillinja [then] and doc scott were pushing... drum and bass has this really annoying tendency to move in cycles where you have a year or so of really bouncy bollox being popular followed by a scene wide shift back to the darkside followed by all the girls leaving followed by a year or so where the top tunes all ave brazilian guitars and samba vocals in them followed by an escalation if that into cheesy trance and bass followed by... etc etc...

because the scene is so small and centralised [unlike, say techno] the mainstream big room heads [zinc hype andy c fresh mampi swift dillinja friction ss twisted shy fx etc] all swap their unreleased stuff, the big london raves have lineups where you might have eight of the same names every week playing 45 minutes to an hour each and needing to make as big an impact as possible... so you get huge big wobbly anthems that sound like circus music... go buy an accelerated culture tape pack and you will hear at least one tune getting played by every single dj... wouldnt happen in techno or house, youd have maybe three djs playing wildly different stuff and varying the tempos and the vibes... its a bit cr4p but its a legacy from jungles warehouse rave and reggae soundclash roots...

oh and by the way... have you heard the new bad company tune coming out on metalheads??? fresh has left them and the new tune is just by d-bridge and vegas, and by christ its gorgeous, really really melodic, frighteningly crisp sounding, i suggest you check it out, theres audio over on www.breakbeat.co.uk [as well as links to a few zinc sets tman!] its called true romance and it will be the first bad company tune i will be buying in about three and a half years... its even getting praised over on www.irishdrumandbass.com [bedrock of anti bad company sentiment that that place is!]

oh... and sico, if youre into the more tasteful side of mid nineties drum and bass here is a beautiful mix by some geezer off www.dogsonacid.com

http://bladerunnaz.pardey.org/Bal_source_direct_mix.mp3

2hours long mix so its a big file (180 megs)

here is the tracklisting:

LTJ Bukem & Peshay - ? /Good Looking '94/
    Source Direct - Secret Liaison /Good Looking '96/
    Source Direct - The Crane / Source Direct '95/
    Photek - Seven Samurai /Science '94/
    Photek - Concussnes /Metalheadz '94/
    Source Direct - Exit 9 /Source Direct '95/
    Hidden Agenda - Dispatches #1 /Metalheadz '96/
    Photek - Rings Around Saturn /Photekproductions '96/
    Source Direct - Snakestyle / Source Direct '95/
    Source Direct - The Cult /Metalheadz '96/
    Source Direct - Web Of Sin /Source Direct '96/
    Source Direct - Made Up Sound /Metalheadz '96/
    Photek - Ni Ten Ichi Ryu /Photekproductions '96/
    Photek - UFO /Photekproductions '95/
    Hokusai - Crystal House /Source Direct '96/
    Hidden Agenda - Dispatches #2 /Metalheadz '96/
    Hokusai - Red Light /Source Direct '96/
    Photek - Hybrid /Photekproductions '96/
    Source Direct - Complexities /Good Looking '96/
    Source Direct - Artificial Berries / Source Direct '96/
    Hokusai - Divine /Source Direct '97/
    Architex - Secrets /Basement Rec. '96/
    Q Project - Solar Systems /LGR '96/
    Boymerang - Urban Space /Prototype '96/
    Boymerang - Soul Beat Runna /Regal Rec. '97/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by [cm]tyranny
    [as well as links to a few zinc sets tman!]
    cheers tyranny, your above posts have put my mind at rest.
    i'll definitely be downloading a couple of d&b sets over the weekend

really looking forward to sunday now:)

hehehe yeah he posted a really good mix up on www.dogsonacid.com last december but it got taken down cos of bandwidth issues... heres the tracklisting of it if you want any indication of what he might draw for galway:

01. {0:00:00} Dillinja - Dune [???]
    02. {0:02:12} Gridlock - Heatwave [violence]
    03. {0:05:04} Jo - R-Type (Friction Rmx) [???]
    04. {0:07:24} Zinc & Rodney P - ??? [???]
    05. {0:10:16} D-Kay - It's On The Way [soul:r011]
    06. {0:12:47} )EIB( - True Romance [metalheadz]
    07. {0:16:01} Calibre - Highlander [sig005]
    08. {0:17:59} Solid State - Just A Vision (Marcus Intalex & St Files Rmx) [rr28]
    09. {0:19:58} ??? - Slammin (Artificial Intelligence Rmx) [???]
    10. {0:22:28} ??? - ??? [???]
    11. {0:24:59} Sonic & Silver - On The Waterfront [skyfi2005]
    12. {0:27:07} Hive & Keaton - Under Pressure [vio011]
    13. {0:29:37} Adam Freeland - We Want Your Soul (Ed Rush & Optical Rmx) [???]
    14. {0:32:09} Cause 4 Concern - Paranormal [???]
    15. {0:33:53} Raw Q - Vital Soul [???]
    16. {0:36:04} ??? - ??? [???]
    17. {0:37:50} ??? - ??? [???]
    18. {0:41:14} Zinc feat. MC Eksman - Coco [???]
    19. {0:43:33} Pendulum - Another Planet [bbk003]
    20. {0:46:04} ??? - ??? [???]
    21. {0:49:17} Lenny Fontana - Spread Love (Nu:Tone Rmx) [nhs64]
    22. {0:51:50} Zinc - Hidden Track [polydor]
    23. {0:53:15} ??? - ??? [???]
    24. {0:55:36} Calibre - Cold Halo [sig004]
    25. {0:58:50} Influx Datum - Meant Love [hq003]

heres one of the best places to get mixed drum and bass sets, its the special mix forum on what was originally the bad company website but which is now the largest and busiest web forum in all of dance music... its almost completely unmoderated but its a great place to find stuff, you get a lot of fairly big names putting their mixes up and you generally find out about new stuff there first.....

http://www.dogsonacid.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

that was a fairly goddamned enjoyable night:)

was surprised that he didn't play 'Ska'... or anything recognisable, come to think of it...

definitely going to get a lot more of his stuff once i get broadband

he's got a new mix cd out, its a 2cd jobbie, he does one cd and friction does the other one, some pretty good stuff on it if you liked the stuff he played in galway then this should be right up your street :thumbsup its called the bingo sessions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

nice one for that link tyranny

• Advertisement
Advertisement