Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the GAA need a way to end drawn games.

• 28-04-2004 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

What are people’s opinions on ending drawn games? Take to league semi-final between Galway and Tyrone for example.
    If the replay ended level then the 2nd replay would be played on Sunday the 2nd, the day scheduled for the League Final. The final would have to be postponed for at least 2 weeks if Tyrone won cos they are pencilled in to play Ulster Championship on May 9th.
    Now with the back door system in football and more games being played the fixture list could get very congested.
    Should they start kicking 45's after extra time or should it keep going to replays.
    Personally I think that after a 2nd replay you need some way of ending it.
    What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I like that it keeps going to replays myself. Remember the Dublin v Meath saga in '91 ( I think ). They were some great games of football! Although it was a shame about the final outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I'd say after a first replay there needs to be a way of ending it. A penalty shoot-out where only goals count seems fair to me. A 45 shooting competition wouldn't be as interesting for spectators imo.

That or a further 5 minutes a side until it's decided like ice-hockey or basketball.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Here's an idea... Instead of following soccer with having penalties at the end of drawn games. Have 45's to be taken by different players. Best out of 5 wins, after that it's sudden death.

Just a thought. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I would have thought the ice hockey way was simplest... an extra 5 minutes untill there is a winner.

I kiinda like the idea of a volley ball type thing... so after extra time there is halfs of five minutes and the first team to go 2 points in the lead wins !

having said that, I dont thnk there is a need to find a way to end things ... as waylander says the Dublin Meath Saga in 91 was fantastic ...apart from the outcome.

alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by Alany
    having said that, I dont thnk there is a need to find a way to end things ... as waylander says the Dublin Meath Saga in 91 was fantastic ...apart from the outcome.
    But scheduling is becoming a bigger problem. Players have a lot more games and demands in general plus the championship matches are scheduled for certain days. A game which goes to 3 replays just creates havoc with this (and also club fixtures if it's an inter-county game) schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

As Alany and Waylander say Dublin v Meath in '91 was a fantastic series of games but that was 13 years ago, there was no back door then and the fixture list was not as full. Plus the teams were neighbours so fans did not have to far. In the current climate you could have an Ulster team play a Munster team in a qualifying round, 4 journeys up and down the country or to a neutral venue would be a strain on many fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Yes halfs of five mins with the first team to go ahead by two/or score a goal sounds interesting.

thats very true lads... so were all agreed that my idea is best ?

Ill just pop down and tell the GAC of our decision !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

Whichever team has scored more goals during the game wins if they are still level after extra time (if applicable)

I dont think goal scoring is something that needs to be encouraged in gaelic football... rather the team that scored the most points would be better.

maybe it would encourage teams to go for those 30 -40 yard scores we all love so much

• Advertisement

thirdman..how does it work in handball... first guy to fill up his sweatband with moisture ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

What has been touted before by those in the know is 5 kicks from the 21 metre line, and I understand this has been used at club level, though I've never seen it. It works as follows:

One kick from in front of the goals (missable under pressure as proved by Dessie Dolan!), kicks from 5 metres in from the touchline on each side and kicks from half way between the centre and the touchline on each side.

That sounds good to me. That'd be just as, if not more, exciting than a penalty shootout in soccer, and it'd be nice to be different. Also be very interesting to see which player is given the "easy" kick and who gets the hard ones!

I think all games should go to extra time in the first instance, and a shootout of some sort should be used after extra time in the second game. In fact in the qualifiers it would probably be best to go to the shoot out at the end of the first game.

While the Dublin Meath saga of 1991 was tremendous, if a first round game in Leinster went to 4 matches now it would create a huge mess in the GAA calendar. But draws are far less common in the GAA now that refs are playing a proper amount of injury time and not blowing up automatically when sides are level at the end of 70 minutes.

I would also guess refs would be under pressure to make sure a replay doesnt end in a draw. Sad to say I know .. but it wouldnt be far fetched to imaging a ref blowing up as soon as one team goes in front providing enough time has elapsed.

Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Indeed Alan, though since the introduction of the Added Minutes Board, it is harder for the refs to wait until someone gets the score that gives the ref what he wants.

Another (more outlandish) alternative to settle a drawn game would be to reduce teams to 7 a side for a period of extra time (would result in more scores) and the first team to score 4 points (or 1-1) would be the winner.

Maybe a golden score scenario might work. But can I point out that there has not been the need for a match to be replayed more then once very oftern I remeber a Clare v OfFaly hurling game that had two replays, but that was because the ref blew a few minutes early in the first game. The free kick taking thing scare me a bit, seeing as Dublin are very poor in that Department, although penalties in GAA are much tougher to score then in soccer so they would definitely be exciting.

It can never finish level in handball - unless the games is on a timed basis. Sometimes you have to win a game by two aces (but only with special tournament rules). It can however finish level in a team of 4 match - 6 games, singles & doubles and it is decided by who ever won the most games

Why shouldn't the scoring of goals be encouraged? I think it is one of the most exciting parts of Gaelic football. Especially when the Ros are scoring them. Weren't there attempts a few years ago to increase the value for a goal to 4 points?

I dont knwo about increasing the vlaue of a goal and I do love it when the dubs score goals its just I want to see a return to players having the skill and ability to point a score from the 45 without handpassing it 5 times

the solution to getting rid of all that handpassing ****e is to limit handpassing to just two handpasses in a row. The next receiving player has to realise the ball with the foot.

And the dubs rarely score goals - only against **** defences (they didn't score too many last year!!!)

Jaysus thirdman change the record, try to get through one thread without Dublin bashing. We all know your opinions at this stage. Actually I would be against the handpass suggestion, I think the handpass can be a very effective way of quickly moving the ball up field while retaining possession, but it is overused in a big way at the minute. It is very frustrating to see a team handpass the ball across the pitch an then lose it inline with where the move originally started. Good coaching should eliminate this kind of play, but there was an awful lot of it in last years championship. Before you comment thirdman, the dubs were as guilty as any others for this.

I was gonna say that it is Gaelic football that is meant to be played - not Gaelic Basketball. It was Kerry who first introduced this style of play and then the northern counties really used it during the early 90s.

Tommy Carr likes the handpassing a bit too much - Roscommon are starting to use it and are neglecting their traditional style of football which is a kicking game. Handpassing is not pretty to watch

• Advertisement

tommy carr is a muppet. he took over a great Dublin team and turned them into a bad dublin team....darker days are behind us hes that hes gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Roscommon had a very good season last year getting to the semi's beating Offaly, Kildare on the way.
    Carr can stand over Ros championship form so far

yeha no complaints about the job hes for the rossies.. but he made a mess of the dublin job

We got to the quarter finals - lost to Galway... beat Cork, Leitrim, Offaly, Kildare and lost to Kerry. But we got relegated from Division 1 of the league

this year we failed tp gain promotion. Our forwards have gone to feck, though our backs have improved. I'd prefer if we had a class forward division and **** backs to be honest - at least games would be interesting!!

Advertisement