Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband in south dub

• 28-04-2004 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

I was talking to one of their sales guys last night and he assured me that NTL were rolling out broadband in new areas next month. D6,7,8,9 were mentioned. He said that brochures should be posted out within the next 2 weeks.
    This is great news if its true, me living just outside their current area. Anyone else heard anything about it? Or was this a 'tell him something nice to make him go away' line?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

I was talking to them last week and i was told that there was no time frame decided as to when they would expeand the serive. I am in D8 and just oredered a phone line solely for broadband. gonna cost me ~€65 a month all in and another €200 in install fees altogether.

if you hear any more about, please post so i can cancel it. god i hate giving eircom money......

:dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭fiacha

I was speaking to NTL yesterday afternoon about BB service for D7. They said that there would be major rollouts all over Dublin in the next few months, but they had not been given the schedule.

I'm about to sign-up for Eircom Home Starter and it would kill me to have NTL available in the next couple of months.
    Altough, if the service was as good as it appears to be currently, i'd probably be happy to buy out of the eircom contract and get rid of the phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The have been saying these things for the last 3 years......I'll believe there is a major rollout when I can actually order it. I'd love to have a 1Mb line:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

If it does actually happen, it will just be that 128k piece of crap they will run over the non upgraded lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Errr...Confused - 128k on non upgraded lines??? Cable systems are either one way or two way....they "do" or "dont" provide Broadband.....I'm a tad confused there Ted :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

D7 is very far south innit.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

See, it takes a non-Dub to spot that the Dubs cant even get the post codes right :) !! Muck is never one to be outdone!

Oh and NTL offer a 150Kbps service as a min , at least that's the min today....I tihnk??

Originally posted by crawler
    Oh and NTL offer a 150Kbps service as a min , at least that's the min today....I tihnk??
    Is that not just in the UK?, surely there is no point in going for that service when the 600kb~ one is €30?. 150kb how much is that?, €17?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

you might want to have a look at the ntl website!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

150kbps = €30/month
    600kbps = €40/month
    1024kbps = €50/month

I don't know why anybody would get the 150k service. 1meg is teh winnar :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

That suggests they've realised there is money to be made in broadband! I'd consider the new prices to be the sign of a new attitude. I'm more optimistic of a wider rollout now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Sarsfield
    I'd consider the new prices to be the sign of a new attitude. I'm more optimistic of a wider rollout now.
    Some new attitude - everyone else is bringing down the cost of Broadband, except NTL, who are now putting the price up.

Why would anyone (except a warezmonkey) pay €40 for NTL instead of €30 for DSL, if they can get DSL? (and have a phone line anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Maybe cos they dont have phonelines? or cant put up wireless gear on the house (rented accom)? Maybe its just that they fancy the 30gb cap (1gb per day).

Well thats my situation anyway.

Ive never been accused of being a dub before!
    (/me is innocent culchie up from the hicks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Why would anyone (except a warezmonkey) pay €40 for NTL instead of €30 for DSL, if they can get DSL? (and have a phone line anyway).

you have the answer there, how many people do you now know who have no telephone line at home? I know that these days I only call people on the mobile and have not had a land line in over three years. How many people do you know who dont have NTL in Dublin? Not too many would be my guess.
    p.s how many gb in the average linux distro to be downloaded? wouldn't be long before I had 8gb used.

Originally posted by Blub2k4
    you have the answer there, how many people do you now know who have no telephone line at home?
    How many interent users do you know that don't have a phone line installed? (It's a rhetorical question, as I clearly said "if they can get DSL"). 87% of homes have a phone line.
    How many people do you know who dont have NTL in Dublin? Not too many would be my guess.
    Juding by the number of Sky dishes I see around, there a lot of people who don't have NTL.
    p.s how many gb in the average linux distro to be downloaded? wouldn't be long before I had 8gb used.
    How many times have you installed Linux in the last 12 months?

As it happens, I downloaded the most recent Redhat at work just last week. It was 1.8G. And it's a long time since the previous version was released. If I don't load another linux distro at any time in the next 6 months, I'd be surprised. And that means I'll have downloaded more linux distros than most of NTLs customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

NTL is significantly more reliable than UTV, IOL or Eircom ADSL. I had Eircom ADSL installed for a while. NTL was more reliable. Eircom adsl is consdered more reliable on this forum when compared with IOL or UTV ADSL.

NTL has a lower latency than eircom ADSL.

NTL have a reasonably priced 1MB option.

NTL offer free install.

NTL are not eircom.

NTL do not disconnect you every night to calculate how much data you have used.

NTL have no username/password connection rubbish.

I don't agree with anything he's saying here but iirc Ripwave is involved with one of the wireless ISPs (open to correction on that). Not surprised to see him running down the competition but wonder why he's not pimping his own wares instead of Eircoms.

As it happens, although I live in a new housing estate within range of an enabled exchange Eircom were unable to offer me DSL, nor any hope of future DSL. After a time using IrishWAN I nearly bit the NTL rep's arm off when he came offering fast reliable and practically uncapped broadband.

Originally posted by milltown
    I don't agree with anything he's saying here but iirc Ripwave is involved with one of the wireless ISPs (open to correction on that).
    Consider yourself corrected. I'm a customer of IBB, no more than that.
    Not surprised to see him running down the competition but wonder why he's not pimping his own wares instead of Eircoms.
    Maybe you should learn to read - I'm not pimping anything.

I am wondering why people are pushing the only broadband provider in Ireland that has raised it's prices?
    As it happens, although I live in a new housing estate within range of an enabled exchange Eircom were unable to offer me DSL, nor any hope of future DSL. After a time using IrishWAN I nearly bit the NTL rep's arm off when he came offering fast reliable and practically uncapped broadband.
    Which is why I asked why anyone who had a choice would chose to pay extra for NTL, unless they're a warez monkey who wants 30G a month of stuff that he'll never get around to looking at or listening to??

(There was a time when I was a big proponent of anyone who would compete with eircom and help drive broadband prices down. As NTL are no longer competing with eircom on price, I no longer think that they are going to have that much influence on the market).

Originally posted by MagicBusDriver
    NTL is significantly more reliable than UTV, IOL or Eircom ADSL.
    NTL costs 33% more per month that UTV.

Yes but they are faster (600kb - negligible speed increase over 512kb but it's there), they have a bigger cap, 30GB is reasonable, they also ping lower to UK servers. And the biggest reason (already mentioned above) is they are not €ircon - if NTL were to extend their cable net service around Dublin I would immediately dump IOLBB and jump on the €50 1Mb line, I would enjoy less waiting on my downloads and I would be one less customer for the monopoly to fleece. With that sort of competition €ircon may finally begin to bring their prices down/caps up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Depends on how you do the fiigures.

UTV force you to take a phone service, which is not the cheapest service out there.

NTL is also about 25% faster (60KB vs 512)

NTL contention is more than 100% "better" (20:1 vs 48:1)

Of course with NTL, you must also subscribe to basic TV package, @ EUR 12 a month.

And with UTV, you must also pay Eircom EUR25 a month for the phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Is that a 1Gb per day cap or a 30Gb per month cap? Quite a difference.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my cousin rang up ntl to find out what his cap was and they told him 3gig a day, that was for the 1mb service tho. I read everywhere tho that its 1gig a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Da Man
    Is that a 1Gb per day cap or a 30Gb per month cap? Quite a difference.
    1 gb a day but not enforced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

NTL are great. What you're failing to appreciate is that along with that broadband (in Belfast anyway) you get a free phoneline, so your line rental is included in the cost of the broadband. Given that an Eircom phoneline costs €22.50 a month, NTL is a lot cheaper.

Here in Belfast we've just signed up to their new £38 1.5 Mbit package. It's ace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

i'm annoyed

i know someone who live about 500-700 yards away, as the crow flies. and he can get it but i'm not eligeble!!!

pity cause he hardly uses it

Righto. Apologies for the pimping slurs Ripwave.

But:

NTL have not raised their prices. The 600k service when it was in Tallaght only was £35 plus either £5/month modem rental or you could buy their modem for about £130. Convert that little lot to eurons and the price has in fact come down as the €40/month includes modem rental.

BTW how is there "quite a difference" between 1GB/day and 30 GB/month DaMan? Do you mean Esat/Eircom allow you to download your entire (lol) 8GB in a day or two, and NTL don't? What is your point there? Not flaming, just confused.

While I do not consider myself a warez monkey, I do download quite a bit of stuff. I like to watch new episodes of The Simpsons and Friends just after they have been shown in the states, rather than wait for N2 or Sky to show them. I am not averse to grabbing the odd game to try out before I buy it or a movie that I know my wife will have no interest in seeing with me.

Bottom line is: The way I use the internet, NTL offers me freedom to do what I want at what I consider a better than reasonable price.

(now who sounds like the pimp :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by milltown
    (now who sounds like the pimp :o )
    No need to pimp a superior service, it sells itself......if you CAN buy it:( :(

• Advertisement

See?
    These guys know!

Advertisement