Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL & Windows Messenger AV ??

• 28-04-2004 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Has anyone gotten Messenger audio & video working with IOL/ZyXEL Prestige 623R – A1

I had a quick look at it last night on my mates pc using vnc. We can chat using messenger but can't initiate voice calls. I tried to enable UPnP on the modem (though it doesn't seem to be documented in the manual).

Opening up ports/ port forwarding isn't really an option as with the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP), streams are sent using dynamically allocated UDP ports in the range of 5004–65535 see http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/worki01.mspx

I'll have another go tonight, will maybe upgrade the modem's firmware. And come to think about it I didn't reboot when I enable UPnP on the modem and started the UPnP service on Windows XP Home.

I know there are other options like Skype etc, but out of curiosity, would like to get it working with Messenger.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

could be similar prob im having , have forwarded ports but cant get bittorrent with a green light. have disabled AV etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Try new firmware, and then try opening EVERY port on your router (e.g. set it to open ports 1 -65533 or whatever the highest port is).

Then try using it. If it still doesn't work, then there must be something else wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mine works just fine and I didn't need to open any ports. NAT took care of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Use Skype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My router needed a firmware upgrade before MSN 6.x would work properly on it. Then a select few ports had to be opened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement