Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Confused Little Computer

Options
  • 28-04-2004 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

I just got a pc in the office and we're having trouble with the email. We have a mail server which also holdss the company website. Now the stange thing is that I can connect to the boards (like now) and anywhere on the net other than out home web site which is on the server which it comes up as not there.
    Does anyone have a clue as the computer just won't see the sever for mail but will see it for everything else we've tried different protocols and setting but Bleh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Are you on the same LAN as the server?
    can you telnet to the server on the email port?
    IE if it is a pop3 mail server try to telnet to port 110.

If there is a firewall between you and the server check that there is no rule blocking access from your IP address.

Tip

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Some details would be handy.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭joshcork

Yea I'm n the same lan since to access th einternet I go through the same server POP3 port 110 has no effect still getting the error message

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'watertechnology.ie', Server: 'watertechnology.ie', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Now as far as i know there is no firewall as such but the normal security levels apply. The mail site/website is going through irish domains and then bouncing back to the server which I connect to for mail.
    As I said using this PC for the boards now but won't connect to the home site while others on the lan can connect to it fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

nets/comms tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭joshcork

ahh yes that looks like a better place to ask the question silly me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Thread moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

telnet serveraddress 110

you should see something like... oh,i dunno..
    +OK Qpopper (version 4.0.5, modified by Sphera Technologies) ready.

...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Depending on your firewall setup you may not be able to connect to your external IP from internally. The one place I came across this was at my last job.We could only access our webserver using its internal IP address / hostname, but not the external one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A firewall is there to probably stop access to port 110 so that people externally can't get mail from your internal mail server.

Advertisement