Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad day for Beverly!!

Options
  • 28-04-2004 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

She just lost her appeal. Any opinions. She's gonna be busking on Grafton street next week me thinks!
    Fianna Fail TD Beverley Cooper-Flynn has lost her Supreme Court appeal against the failure of her High Court libel action against RTE journalist Charlie Bird and retired farmer James Howard. Ms Cooper-Flynn lodged the appeal after a High Court jury found that Mr Bird and Mr Howard did not defame her in a broadcast accusing her of encouraging people to evade tax while she worked for National Irish Bank. The Mayo TD is now facing a legal bill of several million euro relating to both cases. She is also expected to be expelled from the Fianna Fail parliamentary party

Nice timing for FF before elections!!! Corruption etc ..
    How about a thread entitled the "Sickening hypocrisy of FF?"!!!!!!!!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Ryvita

What I want to know is who voted for the muppet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

IMO theres a difference. Once SF politicians chose the political path they haven't been guilty of any criminal or dodgy activities. Also there's a moral idealogy which guides the activities of the IRA and SF whereas ministers found guilty of fraud are just out to screw the taxpayers who elected them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    Also there's a moral idealogy which guides the activities of the IRA and SF

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D roflmao!

you mug!

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    IMO theres a difference. Once SF politicians chose the political path they haven't been guilty of any criminal or dodgy activities.
    so are you suggesting that if Beverly says, I'm sorry I won't do it again, I shall always encourage tax compliance, ...
    That after saying that she should be left in office and as a fully paid up member of FF??
    Because thats where your logic is going...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

"She just lost her appeal. Any opinions. She's gonna be busking on Grafton street next week me thinks! " (Mighty Mouse)

Don't bet on it. Her da will probably bail her out. He's absolutely loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by arcadegame2004
    Don't bet on it. Her da will probably bail her out. He's absolutely loaded.

I doubt that very much the high court expenses are 2 million and the supreme courts expenses have still to be decided.

Now I'm not going to get drawn into the SF bashing in this thread, I think theres enough threads with that going on.

I really think people should try and stay on topic for a change.

Miss Cooper, cannot be allowed to remain in the FF party, she was allowed back while the appeal was pending but I fully expect her to resign from the party or get the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bertie has put down a motion for next wek to expell BCF
    from both the parlimentary FF and the wider party. I'm surte it'll be carried and I'm quite sure BCF will simply become a "FF Independent".

This is of course an outrage, if you leave a party but intend to carry on being a TD you really should have to resign your seat and fight it out in a by-election.

She wont be needed by the government as the majority is comfortable but nonetheless they can proberly count on her vote...

On why she's in this mess

HUBRIS!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Since when did she drop the Cooper-Flynn bit?

Yesterday and the papers this morning, Cooper-Flynn, and RTÉ News today just say Flynn? :confused:

Originally posted by DMC
    Since when did she drop the Cooper-Flynn bit?

Yesterday and the papers this morning, Cooper-Flynn, and RTÉ News today just say Flynn? :confused:

Probably just RTE trying to wind her up and rub her nose in it;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Q3000

She has seperated from her husband so she has dropped the Cooper

Originally posted by Q3000
    She has seperated from her husband so she has dropped the Cooper

Really? didn't know that, she was referred to by most people yesterday as Cooper-Flynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

News to me too, thanks for the info.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Ryvita
    What I want to know is who voted for the muppet?
    She has a reputation in Castlebar as someone who gets things done- a reputation that runs in the family.

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    She has a reputation in Castlebar as someone who gets things done- a reputation that runs in the family.

Ah you mean like taking money???? Or telling people how to keep it away from the taxman??

Sorry couldn't resist, with all this sf bashing going on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by irish1
    Ah you mean like taking money???? Or telling people how to keep it away from the taxman??

Sorry couldn't resist, with all this sf bashing going on
    No need to justify your attack as a tit-for-tat action.:p

Criticism stands on its own feet in this case - she encouraged people to evade tax while working as an NIB employee. Pee Flynnstone will meet her debts - as I recall from the Late Late Show, he has three houses and is sick of the amount the upkeep is costing him.

Padraig was right though - she did surprise us all. Nothing, of course, compared to the excesses of the Haughey years (which included blatant theft, bribery and so on) and since. Not that I'm justifying it but there are probably hundreds of bank clerks around the country that did similar in the fraud related to bogus accounts that the banks indulged in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ALLGOOD

Burn the fat double chinned thief !

Corrupt politicians make me sick.

Originally posted by daveirl
    MightyMouse introduced the topic into the thread and he's pro Sinn Féin so you can't really complain when people argue a point your side brought up.

Come on dave, just because Mighty Mouse started the thread doesn't mean theres a need for SF bashing in it.

Your the one that first mentioned SF by saying
    I'm no FF fan but at least she'll get the boot, Sinn Féin don't kick out the convicts, that's why people get so wound up.

Thats completely off topic, theres enough threads with SF being discussed without needing to bring it into this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I'm probably going to be the only one that has an opposing view here.

Why anyone should take delight in the misfortune of others is beyond me. This woman was working in a bank selling a product which every other institution in the country was selling. She was employed by the bank to sell the product they were offering so the way I look at it, she was following company policy.

I really feel sorry for her. Let any man or woman here who has done a nixer or made a few bob and stuck it in the back pocket and not declared it to the taxman throw the first stone.

Originally posted by daveirl
    I told him why the situations weren't comparable. So you're wrong.

LOL you said "Sinn Féin don't kick out the convicts"

Which was off topic, but if it helps you sleep I'l say I was wrong;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

LOL you said "Sinn Féin don't kick out the convicts"

Of couse they don't.

Beverly Flynn worked in a bank and sold products provided by the bank. What saction has been brought aganist other financial advisors?

What sanctions have been brought aganist banks after the DIRT enquiry?

Beverly Flynn was only trying to clear her name with these court actions. It has shown the justice comes at a price that is far out the reach of many in our society.

It has highlighted the inconsistancys - should we have senete style committees for newly elected TDs?

Ifv a teacher did not declare his grinds money for tax should his political party throw him out?

It is amazing how our public representatives love taking the moral high ground. Beverly Flynn has not been convicted of anything. But the "moral high ground" bandwagon is unstopable with elections on the horizon.

Originally posted by Cork
    Beverly Flynn worked in a bank and sold products provided by the bank. What saction has been brought aganist other financial advisors?
    I'm not going to bother mentioning the sanctions taken against the banks for the bogus foreign accounts - I don't think they were sufficient but you're probably well aware of them.

With regard to Ms Flynn, she chose to take a case implying that she had been libelled by an RTE report. No "sanction" has ever been brought against her either. She lost the case. She lost the case because she hadn't been libelled as the report was true.

And yet again, I'm amazed that you're actually criticising people taking the moral high ground rather than criticising people who don't. To answer your question, yes, a teacher giving grinds should declare them for tax as he's legally obliged to do so, if he's elected to public office it's a matter for the party to decide whether he should be retained in the party or not, a matter for the people to decide whether he should stay in his elected office or not and a matter for us all to have an opinion on it. I'd love if all our public representatives were both on the moral high ground and took the moral high ground. It'd stamp out the corruptino that continues to be endemic in our society and our political society in particular. We might get fewer idiots justifying it as well. Disagree with any of this? If you don't, stop trying to justify corruption, if you do, justify your answer.

But CORK Your boy Bertie wants her out of the party??:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/04/29/story145093.html

What sanction has been brought aganist other financial advisors?

Financial Advisors sold these products to many elderly people engaging in a "hard sell".

Look at those who do nixers?
    Look at those who had non resident accounts?
    Look at those who never declared their credit union dividends?

Beverly Flynn was only doing her job. This was at a time before she was elected.

What has Beverly Flynn been found guilty of?

The same standards are not being applied to all our TDs.

Financial Advisors sold these products to many elderly people engaging in a "hard sell".

Beverly Flynn was only doing her job. This was at a time before she was elected.

Ok so let me to be sure about this Cork you are disagreeing with Bertie and the parlamentary party that expelled her when her high court case was thrown out???

Originally posted by irish1
    Ok so let me to be sure about this Cork you are disagreeing with Bertie and the parlamentary party that expelled her when her high court case was thrown out???

Yes, I am.

I think that She has been convicted of no offence and her spell with the NIB was before She was elected.

Niether the Gardai or DPP has made any sanction aganist other financial advisors.

• Advertisement

You didn't even read my post above did you. Boo hiss, I'm upset now.

Advertisement