Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal sign Van Persie !!!

• 28-04-2004 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭

Arsenal have signed 20 year old Robin van Persie subject to a medical . He will be registered an Arsenal player on the 17th of May .

So what do yee think ? A replacement for Pires or Ljunberg maybe ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Well with wiltord going....could just be an addition to the squad but imo Ljungberg will be on his way....

john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

A replacement for Bergkamp i'd say. Or there abouts. Anyway i'm happy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Arsenal get Van Persie, Chelsea get Robben...Utd and L'pool would want to get their skates on methinks. Why has nobody signed Van der Vaart ??? Money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I'd say he is a replacement for Bergkamp. He is a left sided winger or striker AFAIK so I doubt Ljunbergs right midfield role will be threatened.

As for Utd and Liverpool, I would love to know what they are at. There's two big future stars. Maybe GH will head over to France in the summer and pick up a few lads off the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ljunberg is prob on way! didnt really set this season alight!! talk of Pennant talkin his place if he continues to progress the way he has at Leeds

Van Persie and Reyes where signed to replace Bergkamp and Wiltord!! not bad replacements I must admit but still very young.....think Wenger is tryin to do a Ferguson and lower the age of the squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I forgot to name the source its Sky Text .

And its possible he has come to replace ljunberg with pires going to right midfield

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Is there an echo round here? ;)

It's on Arsenal.com now, so the rumours were true! :D
    Originally posted by neilbrady79
    Ljunberg is prob on way! didnt really set this season alight!! talk of Pennant talkin his place if he continues to progress the way he has at Leeds

Van Persie and Reyes where signed to replace Bergkamp and Wiltord!! not bad replacements I must admit but still very young.....think Wenger is tryin to do a Ferguson and lower the age of the squad
    I agree Ljungberg might depart but I don't think it will be because of Van Persie.

Wenger has been lowering the squad for a while now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Kaids has Edu signed a new deal yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Ljungberg has a habit of scoring vital goals too....seems to always score against united :(

Would love to see vandervarrt at united, think he will end up at barcelona tho, he wants to there, they want a left sided player.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Edu - no. But he could get his first international cap tonight!

I heard Van Der Vaart's ma is Catalonian and he supports Barca - anyone know if this is true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Christ, a couple of months ago we were broke! Now we seem to be swimming in money, and everything smells of roses. Enron, anyone? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Dont know about Van der Vaarts Mother is from Barca but he came out and said it was always his dream to play for them because of the Dutch connection and he would choose them over Utd if he had the chance....if that is true is another thing but it seems to be good info....Utd have a battle if they want him

Also mentioned Liverpool wanted to sign him last season but seen that as a step backwards from Ajax!! poor old Liverpool!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

good signing

henry,bergkamp,reyes and van persie upfront now i think kanu and wiltord will be off in the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by sleepwalker
    henry,bergkamp,reyes and van persie upfront now
    Berkamp is the only player that was a striker when Arsenal signed them. Let Wenger work his magic.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

to be honest i dont know much about him, heard very little and seen nothing i can remember of him.

should be a good buy though seen as he was tracked by a number of clubs. for me, reyes has yet to prove himself. a strike force of reyes and van persie wont strike fear into anyone. you still need the main man henry up there.

surely wiltord will go in the summer now. he's hardly got a kick this season and is a 'heskey' like player. clumsy, poor 1st touch and no consistency. if he'll pay for van persie it will be a good deal for arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by Big Ears
    And its possible he has come to replace ljunberg with pires going to right midfield
    That is most likely.

Ljunberg had a go at Pires after Arsenal were given the run around by Inter Milan early in the season for not putting in any effort during the game. There was only going to be one winner when the French contingent sided together - since then the two players haven't gotten on, so it wouldn't be surprising to see Ljunberg on his way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

From the Daily Mail:
    Robin's talent was recognised at an early age.

He has been with Feyenoord since he was 12, but a key part of his footballing education came on the streets of Rotterdam's Kralingen district, where he learned how to play the hard way.

'Street football' is a part of Dutch culture which has no equal in Britain and involves gangs of roaming youths challenging each other to contests in squares where the only rule is 'win at all costs'. Most games end when the police break them up.

Kralingen has a famous little square surrounded by high fences. It was nicknamed 'the Cage' and Robin was known as 'the King of the Cage'.

We've signed the "King of the cage" - think theres a Nike ad in there for a few years time ;):D

Advertisement