Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom trialing satelite broadband?

Options
  • 28-04-2004 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear about Eircom planning to offer their own wireless broadband service? Err - via satelite.

Apparently its on trial and going to be rolled out during the summer....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Expect a commercial launch very soon.

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Even if they are, I really do not think anyone should care, since they will not be able to change the price of satellite broadband, nor the latency. If it's a 1-way system, it will require you to dial back, and if it is a 2-way system it will be very expensive.

Not to mention you can already get Sat BB from MediaSat, Aramiska and DigiWeb (to name just a few).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

...with a view to making a big fat claim. Namely, 100% broadband coverage in the ROI. And thats the tripe you will hear from comreg and our politicians thereafter:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

cant wait to see what caps and restrictions they will impose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

cant wait to see what caps and restrictions they will impose
    caps - parabolic shaped to capture the satellite signal
    restrictions - stay out in the open or service won't be guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    ...with a view to making a big fat claim. Namely, 100% broadband coverage in the ROI. And thats the tripe you will hear from comreg and our politicians thereafter:mad:

Our politicians could already claim that if they wanted to, since sat BB has had 100% coverage* for years.

*Assuming you have a clear view of the southern sky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

it'd be cool if there was a free number for the dial up part, that would make it almost viable..... but then this is eircom so expect a 1550 dial up number and a donkey to arrive at the door 5 hours later with whatever you wanted to download

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It doesn't really work. Even on a 600 Euro per month two way account they don't want you to host ANYTHING.

I have a modest business site with a couple of forms powered by SQL and a mail server all working fine on 256K or 512K Esat Eur45 p.m. ADSL. It would be atrocious by satellite.

The only thing satellite is good for is file download. But the cost of any such service that stays in buisness (i.e. really makes a profit) AND actually delivers resonable performance makes ISDN look very very very cheap.

Casablanca is the way forward for a Satellite Broadcast platform, not conventional Internet browsing.

Wifi to fibre or Adsl BB hubs etc is the better solution for places lacking wired BB.

8Km on MMDS sized dishes and Licence free power. Up to 40Km with bigger dishes or small dish and more power in a licenced band.

Satellite is cheap for shared broadcasts, horrendus expensive for individual traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I was told by an eircom dude last week that they will be reselling both one way and two way systems very shortly. The satellite guy gets more business out of it and eircom get to 'fill the gap' where DSL isn't available with something else where they can make money.
    I think all you guys are very cynical. This is eircom doing its best to look out for everyone in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

OK, I was just kidding about the last piece.:D :D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement