Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ques re: port unblocking on my modem

• 28-04-2004 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I am using a Alcatel speedtouch usb modem, one of the originals eircom were using for dsl when it started. Just wondering do these jobbies have the option to open up certain ports(for the likes of BT's) or is it just the router types like IOL are doing now.
    Just trying to figure out if I can tweak the speedtouch for better d/l speeds or are they already preconfigured

Thks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A simple modem (ie no built in firewall features like a router) will not be blocking any ports. If you have a software firewall like Kerio or something running on your computer, you can configure that to open whatever ports you want it to.
    If you're not using a firewall of any kind, those ports won't be blocked anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I used to have that modem. Download new software version frm ALcatel speedtouch. Also, you want to run some kind of firewall as that modem will leave all your ports open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Will do
    Thks

Advertisement