Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Ripwave users out there?

• 28-04-2004 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

I've been experiencing poor performance on my Ripwave connection recently. It could have been increased interference now that there are more leaves on the trees, but I tried my modem from another location yesterday, and got the same poor throughput.

Are there any other Ripwave users out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭GavinKeller

LOL, you should have got NTL !!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Zzzzzzing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by GavinKeller
    LOL, you should have got NTL !!! :D
    Why would I spend money on an overpriced service with even less coverage than wireless? (And no coverage at all where I live).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Why would I spend money on an overpriced service with even less coverage than wireless? (And no coverage at all where I live).

Jaysus, lighten up would ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

the NTL service is underpriced when compared to any ADSL offering currently out.

Not only does it have a much bigger cap, but it costs less, and is faster!

• Advertisement

But in the end we come out on top mutant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

The only people who care about the coverage of a product are the ones it doesn't cover. Hence, there is fewer than one post on the whole of Boards.ie complaining that "sob, sob, I can get affordable 1MBit almost uncapped but I can't enjoy it because I think of all the poor b'stards in Emo, Castlepollard, Roosky and Edenderry who can't. boo hoo!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭GavinKeller

Your right Ripwave, 50 euros is way too much for a 1MB line. You should start a campaigns on behalf of us NTL BB users to lower the price.

Thanks in advance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

I was talking to a guy at the IBB stand in the RDS at the ICT show last week and he said that they are rolling out the new 3.5ghz equipment within 6 weeks for residential customers. He also said they'll be replacing existing customers equiment, with priorty given to ripwave customers as it's much easier to replace than the antennas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

if anyone here gets the 3.5ghz stuff, post back as soon as you get the pings up/down speeds tested.

And let us know if its syncronous or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by DrEvil
    I was talking to a guy at the IBB stand in the RDS at the ICT show last week and he said that they are rolling out the new 3.5ghz equipment within 6 weeks for residential customers. He also said they'll be replacing existing customers equiment, with priorty given to ripwave customers as it's much easier to replace than the antennas.

Sounds wrong to me. The HARDEST to replace is a functioning Ripwave install. Thats because you now have to install an aerial where there is none. With a 2.4-3.5 upgrade the drilling and hacking and pole mount installation has been done .

Unless (that is) IBB are deploying the Ripwave 3.5Ghz in which case it is easier all right. Non Ripwave customers will need their equipment removed by drilling and banging and suchlike.

M

well to me it sounded like he meant replacing with 3.5ghz ripwave stuff. I could be wrong though

Originally posted by Muck
    Unless (that is) IBB are deploying the Ripwave 3.5Ghz in which case it is easier all right.
    From everything I've heard, IBB will continue to provide both NLoS RipWave gear and LoS gear (Alvarion?) under the 3.5GHz licenses.

http://www.navini.com/pages/press/2004/pr03.25.04.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Jaysus, lighten up would ya!

Is this a humour thread ?:rolleyes:

Does Digiweb use ripwave on its wireless services?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

i rang them up today because i have been waiting for an install for about 2 months. 1 month ago i got email saying that they were going through capacity upgrades in clondalkin area.
    the girl on the phone say the delays are longer then expected (aren't they always, in everything!) and it should be another 1 month. i asked what they were upgrading and she said they are installing 3.5ghz equipment and that that was what i would be installed with. i was going for the €35 a month package.
    Has anybody else got an installation in the last month done?

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    Does Digiweb use ripwave on its wireless services?
    IBB is the only Irish provider listed on the Navini website.

I Dunno if anybody in the World (certainly in the EU) has 3.5Ghz Ripwave up and running yet.

As IBB will deploy this in all the major urban centres (not just Tallaght) it will be intruiging to see if

a) It works Ok ...generally , leaves on trees are leaves on trees though .
    b) If Ripwave can travel to Galway or Cork with it (where IBB also have licences) and check his mails on the laptop over a nice pint of Decaf Latté (eg IBB allow cell to cell Roaming or Nomadic functionality) , even if he has to pay an extra €5 a month to get it.
    c) If so , how congested can a cell get and how do they traffic shape in those circumstances ?

Theoretically it should be good but in practise nobody knows yet.

M

I'm sure IBB are the first in the EU but not in the world for ripwave 2.4ghz as for the 3.5Ghz version i don't know

http://www.navini.com/pages/press/2004/pr03.25.04.htm
    "Irish Broadband, a subsidiary of NTR plc, Ireland's leading developer of private infrastructure, announced today their intent to commercially deploy one of the first next generation, non-line-of-sight (NLOS) wide-area wireless broadband networks in the European Union at 3.5GHz. "

In response to each of Mucks points

a) It should work fine either similar to the 2.4ghz or better but not worse. And from what i've heard the 2,4ghz ripwave works very well except for poor latency

b) As for being portable I would say it's possible but there are probably problems with laws and license issues etc. . What would mobile phone companies say after spending alot of money on their mobile licenses?? If I had it I would probably just use it to make VOIP calls which in turn directly competes with these big companies.
    Does anyone know if there are any regulations or issues about this type of thing?

c) Don't have a clue :)

Does anyone know if there are any regulations or issues about this type of thing?
    As long as the device cannot hand over to another sectoral aerial , within a cell or on a cell to cell boundary, without being power cycled, it is not Mobile but Nomadic.

If it is power cycled and attaches itself to a different (or same) sector afterward that is cool . It must not complete a handover with no service loss though :D

M

sounds good to me :) it would be a killer ap if they could make it nomadic

• Advertisement

If I had it I would probably just use it to make VOIP calls which in turn directly competes with these big companies.
    That poor latency that you mentioned pretty much rules out VoIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

Looks like England's trying out the 3.4/3.5 ghz wireless too !

Wireless broadband firm takes aim at BT.

Pretty good prices ...
    -18 stg for 512
    -28 stg for 1mbit

i don't know what the latency will be like with 3.5ghz ripwave but since there's will be no interference with 3.5ghz as it's licensed latency should be improved

i don't know what the latency will be like with 3.5ghz ripwave but since there's will be no interference with 3.5ghz as it's licensed latency should be improved
    I'd like to think so, but there's no way that the current high latencies of 100ms with the 2.4GHz gear can be explained by interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

If I had it I would probably just use it to make VOIP calls which in turn directly competes with these big companies.

Can anyone recommend any good VOIP providers?

Advertisement