Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello!

• 28-04-2004 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just wanted to introduce myself on this board.

My name is Colm O'Reilly and I run a MMA/BJJ school in Tallaght if anybody's interested. I'm more than happy to answer any questions anyone might have on BJJ as there does not seem to be any knowledge of jitz on this board (correct me if I'm wrong, I've only read a couple of threads).

Also, I'd like to invite anyone who trains/lives in the Tallaght area to come down and say hello, you're always more than welcome to try a couple of classes gratis at my gym.

If anyone wants to contact me they can email me at colm.oreilly@oceanfree.net

Take Care,

Colm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

Hi,

Where abouts in Tallaght is it, i live in Templeogue and would be interested if its close enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Hi Kev,

It's in Scoil Carmel, Firhouse Road, Firhouse. It would only be a 5-10 minute cycle from Templeogue, or the 49 would bring you practically to the school.

We train Mondays & Wednesdays at 7.30 (adult class). It would be great if you could pop down.

If you need cleared directions of any more info, you can email me or give me a shout on 086-8151092.

Peace Out,
    Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

Is it MMA and BJJ at the same time ?

I'll try and make it on monday.

Our main focus is on BJJ, which forms the backbone of MMA.

We concentrate on takedowns (the clinch) and the ground game. Through experimenting we've found that people develop their ground game (i.e. positions, transitions, balance, escapes etc) quicker if strikes aren't involved. Every 3-4 weeks we do a jitz with hits class. This enables people to understand what adjustments they need to be made when strikes are involved.

We also have a couple of guys who've trained Thai, so someone's always there if you want to do some stand up.

Peace,
    Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 webwannabe

hi colm

I read in a magazine and heard in other places that these places are springing up all over the place, like karate schools years ago, that instructors have no experinece, but are doing it for the money, and dont have a real concept of what they are doing? How do you feel about this? How many fights have you had? I was under the impression BBJ formed only part of the back bone of MMA. Who do you have in your club that has done thai as I know a fella that fights out a gym at thai and says these people train for one lesson and proclaim to be experts...

please reassure me.

thanks

ps I am bitter cos i spent years wastin money hearing the same stuff.

• Advertisement

webwannabe,

The great thing about performance orientated gyms is that fraudsters can't last, because anyone walking in off the street can test the instructor.

As for my experience I'm 7 time undefeated national submission champion at my weight, which is currenty 68Kgs. I'm captain of UCD's Wrestling club and head coach and president of UCD's BJJ club. Go to www.geocities.com/ucdbjj and ask on the forum about me if you'd like.

I'm a certified trainer for Straight Blast Gym under Matt Thornton.

As far as my abilities as a coach, in King of the Mat, which was held on 24th April. One student of mine placed 3rd in the 68Kg under four months division, after being out for 8 weeks with a neck injury. Another student who trains in UCD since October took 4th in the 83Kg division, over four months experience.

I recently fought in UFN 4 in Belfast, click here to see a review of my fight.

The reason I say BJJ is the backbone of MMA is that a high percentage of fights are finished on the ground and without a solid base in BJJ and wrestling you'll be in trouble. Someone with a good grappling game can really control and tire you out. The difference I perceive is that a good striker cannot "hold you in" the same way. And a lucky punch could end it all.

Furthermore I tell all my athletes wishing to compete in MMA they need a good stand up game, solid clinch, as well as jitz. Plus superb conditioning.

It's easy to rattle off qualifications or figures. You're more than welcome to come down and roll with me. If you don't think I've anything to teach you or I can't improve your game, don't train with me.

Please don't take this as a challenge, it's a genuinely friendly invite. It would also be a good chance for guys who read this thread to have your independent evaluation of me.

If I can help you with anything else, please let me know.

Colm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I remember you doing kenpo years ago...

thanks for the reply

can u explain what this means

"about performance orientated gyms "

"I'm a certified trainer for Straight Blast Gym under Matt Thornton"

"their skills in an "Alive" manner through sparring as much as possible"

I have to say that all the "ideals" of your association are about aliveness, and you preach this, but boxing gyms have been "ALIVE" since time began and they dont run round teaching this they just train and fight, why do you not just train and fight?

I am concerned that traditional MA people have jumped on the band wagon of real fighting and are now preaching about it with old trad heads on their shoulders ...

might be dangerous i think

we dont need performannce orientated gyms we need, what works and less o the lectures...

:p

also

"Someone with a good grappling game can really control and tire you out."

some one like my mate can easily knock you out, no need for holding on.

webw

I wrote a reply to webwannabe and rainbow kirby but whatever happened I logged off while writing. I shall try and reply later.

Enjoying the discussion guys, thanks!

Webwannabe,

Performance Orientated Gyms, or schools, are those that are purely concerned with performance in a fight, on the mat, or whatever. Success in their sport/art is the only consideration. They are concerned with what works in a fight/MMA match, not what looks pretty, or what they believe fighting ough to be. If a particular technique works, they'll continue to use it. If one doesn't, they won't continue practicing it because it's in the cirriculum, or any other silly idea.

SBG uses the term "Aliveness" in attempt to communicate to other martial arts schools (predominantly traditional) as to what we do. Matt Thornton never claimed that he invented Aliveness or this way of training, and never claimed that our gym is the only ones who practice it.

Aliveness is energy (resistance), timing, and movement. Without these 3 criteria any movement becomes contrived, a ritualistic patern. Unless you are training Alive, no matter what style you do or which techniques you practice, you will never gain the skill necessary to compete in MMA tournaments or defend yourself on the street. For a further explanation of technique vs skill in martial arts, you may like to read this article.

If you have any other questions regarding Aliveness, or any of the training methods of SBGi please ask. However, from your post it appears to me you understand Alive, or reality focused training. You concern seemed to be about SBG claiming that as exclusively theirs. If that has been the impression, I wholeheartedly apologise.

I let you know I'm a certified trainer for Straight Blast Gym as you questioned my qualifications, or my authority to teach BJJ/MMA. I don't like the prospect of uneducated traditionalists claiming to teach Real Fighting, though to date I haven't heard of any specific schools advertising this. Do you know of any specifically?

Like I said before, if people are claiming to be X level at BJJ or MMA, anybody rolling or sparring with them will be able to tell pretty quickly if they're any good.

Also, I fully understand just how effective Boxing is, I've taken my share of digs from average level boxers, and I work in IABA's High Performance gym so I know what level the elite guys are at. I was trying to explain why I think the clinch and the ground are so important to MMA. Furthermore, I'd never allow any of my athlete's into MMA competition if they did not have even foundation stand up defence. If I've missed the point of your argument please let me know.

rainbow kirby,

Have we met? Who are you?

Enjoying discussing this wih you guys!
    Colm

• Advertisement

Our club just got a write up in The Echo, its a local paper serving Tallaght and the surrounding area:

"A new martial arts club is taking root in Firhouse.

The Straight Blast Gym, which caters for Brazilian Ju Jitsu/Mixed Martial Arts, has been running locally for the past five months and a number of its members have already made quite an impression on the competitive front.

Introduced to this country by John Kavanagh, the highest ranked BJJ practitioner in Ireland, this martial art has been tried and tested at various world events like The Ultimate Fighting Championship in the US and Pride Fc in Japan.

Competing in the recent 'King of the Mat 2' Submission Wrestling Tournament, the Straight Blast Gym brought home plenty of honours.

Coach Colm O'Reily earned his seventh successive tournament victory in the U68Kg (over 4 months) section while Stephen Fennell finished up third in the U68K (under 4months) class.

Based at Scoil Carmel in Firhouse, this new club will be back in competitive action at the Vale tournament in Galway early next month.

Anyone interested in joining can attend any of their club's training sessions in Scoil Carmel on Monday and Wednesday from 7.30pm to 8.30pm of phone Colm O'Reilly at 086 8151092."

hello there

I was talking about this thread at the weekend to my thai mate you said....

"We also have a couple of guys who've trained Thai, so someone's always there if you want to do some stand up."

can you tell me who these people are,

also

on your web site clevermonkeys.com

you are advertising that you train elements of thai, where did you learn this to teach it.

How many fights (proper ones) have you had, how do you know what you teach works. My mate Andy says he has never heard of you fightin thai?

To me you sound like a tradational martial artist who is converted and is preaching to tradational martials artists about how they train, timing resistnace etc etc, but to people who have trained proper fighting for years and dont consider a kick to be timeing and all that they conside it to be a punch, you just seem like a silly child.

Can you explain these concepts some more and answer my questions.

many thansk

ww

webw,

Paddy Clint taught me Thai. He also coached Mick Leonard, who's always down at the club.

At the gym I've two other guys who trained Thai at Shark gym, before it closed down. I don't know if they fought in shows so I can't give you their records.

I have never fought in a Thai show and don't claim to be an expert or a coach at Thai. If someone asked me where they could learn Thai I'd direct them to Bridgestone gym. If I gave the impression that we are all experts at Thai or at stand up I wholeheartedly apologise. I merely meant to state that at our gym we have guys who are willing to spar at all ranges in the spirit of co-operation and personal development.

As for Clever Little Monkeys, the kids I teach are young, and my aim is to introduce them to MMA through game play. The majority of stand up I teach them is games designed by Luis Guitterez (www.onedragon.com) and Crazy Monkey Stand Up defence developed by Rodney King. However, as I've more experience in Clinch and Ground the children's classes focus on those aspects more than Stand Up. If you are truly offended by my reference to Muay Thai I'll remove it from the website.

BTW, is that Andy Keegan you're talking about? He's one hell of a thai fighter IMO.
    To me you sound like a tradational martial artist who is converted and is preaching to tradational martials artists about how they train, timing resistnace etc etc, but to people who have trained proper fighting for years and dont consider a kick to be timeing and all that they conside it to be a punch

I was a TMA who was converted, as was John Kavanagh, and a number of other high profile MMAers in Ireland and the UK. Now, to paraphrase Matt Thornton, whenever he explains Aliveness to boxers, or wrestlers, or judo players the reaction is "yeah, what's new about that?" but to other, TMAers, it is a real eye opener.

The principles of Aliveness are not revolutionary, nor are they exclusive to one gym. They are one way of explaining why certain training methods to those that may not be familiar with them. To quote Rosi Sexton, UK MMA fighter "If you understand, no explanation is necessary, if you don't, no explanation is possible"

I'm sorry if I caused you angst with my postings.

you just seem like a silly child

That's a personal attack about someone you've never met, and only conversed briefly with on an internet forum, where I have found it is easy to misinterpret someone and for tempers to flare.

If I do indeed seem like a silly child to you you are more than welcome to your opinion.

Once again, I'd like to extend my offer to you to meet in person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hey does anybody know if there is a MMA in cork?

Or even a JJ club??

Originally posted by jank
    Hey does anybody know if there is a MMA in cork?

Or even a JJ club??

Liam Beechinor coaches a BJJ club somewhere in Cork. He's an SBG Blue Belt. Here's his contact details.

liambeechinor@hotmail.com

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Fingers

Have you recieved any training from the Gracies. If i turn up can i challenge you.

Have you recieved any training from the Gracies

No I've never trained with any of the Gracies. My coach is John Kavanagh, he's a very good purple belt under Chris Haueter and Matt Thornton, who both hold black belts under Rigan Machado. (I'm presuming you know the Machados).

I've been fortunate to attend seminars and roll with the likes of John Frankl, Matt Thornton, Chris Haueter, Chris Brennan, Saula Ribeiro and Mino. (That was fun!)

But like I've always said it doesn't matter about lineage and names, it's about if you can move at a standard, which brings us to...
    If i turn up can i challenge you.

That seems a little confrontational but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that I'm interpreting you incorrectly.

I've love for you to pop down, and I'll roll, wrestle, and spar with you in front of all the guys there. Just like I do every class, with all my athletes.

BTW who are you? Have you done any training before in Jitz?

Peace and Love Y'All!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Originally posted by webwannabe

"Someone with a good grappling game can really control and tire you out."

some one like my mate can easily knock you out, no need for holding on.

webw

WW. How expierienced are you in MA? Have you ever had someone who pracitses JJ (Jiu Jitsu) on top of you, or have you in a hold down? Believe me, its gets tiring very fast, throwing punches is quite hard when your worrying that your losing breath and energy fast. You are throwing a lot of questions into Colm, perhaps so you sound like you have an upperhand in expierience?

Colm: From what i've read you seem a decent guy, but tell me. Does Jitz mean JiuJitsu? If so would you not be better off calling it JJ than preach a slang term?
    Just a question...

Brian

Brian,

When I say "Jitz" I'm talking about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or sub wrestling, which really are the same thing.

I've never really thought about why I call it jitz rather than Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or BJJ, which take longer to say when you're speaking face to face with someone.

In future I suppose I should be more careful with what I call it, but since this thread was about MMA and BJJ I presumed that people would know what I meant by "jitz".

Take Care,

Colm

aye it was just an evil slang word hehe

ILL FIGHT YOU OVER IT ! ;p

Just dont want JJ to be known as Jitz, reason being ppl are too f**kin lazy to say JJ or type it .. grr ps that goes for ANYTHING for that matter, bloody abbreviations / makey up attempted stab into a theasoras/.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

can you guys explain what Brazilian/JuJitsu involve? as in is it like TKD? Judo? Is there weapons training? Im interested in joining a JJ club but id like to know whats involved.

webwannabe why are you so aggressive towards the guy?

From UCD BJJ's website
    In 1993 the Ultimate Fighting Championship exploded onto the scene of martial arts. The aim was to pit different martial arts against each other to see which was the most effective. Despite the predictions that traditional Asian martial arts would be most effective, it was a skinny, 11 stone Brazilian by the name of Royce Gracie won the tournament.

Royce showed what happens in most fights. After a brief period of striking, both combatants enter a grabbing distance, called the clinch range. From this clinch range both fighters usually end up on the floor. Royce used positional dominance and superior movement on the ground which enabled him to defeat much larger opponents.

Today we know that there are 3 basic ranges to fighting. Standup, primarily revolving around Boxing and Muay Thai. Clinch range,which is effectively Greco-Roman Wrestling and Judo, and Ground, which is 90% Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu controls the ground "game" because of its scientific principles and the athletic manner in which it is trained. BJJ uses positional dominance and an array of powerful submission holds to defeat an opponent. The aim in BJJ is to isolate an adversary's joint and to apply a greater percentage of your body strength against a fraction of your opponent's.

To win a match in BJJ one must submit (tap out) their opponent. This can be done by:

Hyperextending a joint
    Rotating a joint past its normal range of motion
    Cutting off the oxygen
    Cutting off the blood supply

1. Hyperextending a joint: Simple locks such as the armbar or kneebar straighten out your opponent's arm then use the force of your hips against the elbow joint. This causes significant discomfort to force a submission.

2. Rotating a joint: Locks against the shoulder and ankle twist the joints past their Range of Motion (ROM). These types of submission hold attack the tendons in the shoulder. Failure to tap would eventually result in serious damage to the joint. It is worth pointing out that ROM's differ for each individual and while some may tap very quickly others may have no problem until the joint is rotating much further.

3. Cutting off the oxygen: A strangle hold cuts off the oxygen to an individual. These holds will render an opponent unconscious in approximately 20-30 seconds, depending of course on how well he/she can hold his/her breath!

4. Cutting Off the Blood Supply: A choke hold cuts off the blood supply to the brain. This is a more potent hold than a strangle as it takes effect an awful lot quicker (usually 10-12 seconds).

There's a very simple reason why Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu works. And that's in the manner its trained. After a brief period of practicing a new technique with a co-operative partner to familiarise yourself with the move, everything you learn is pressure tested against a fully resisting opponent who's also trying to submit you. This way you learn what works and what doesn't. It's great fun, it's challenging, and at the end of it all you know what you can do.

That's pretty much the skin and bones of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ). What mear does, and correct me if I'm wrong, is Jiu Jitsu, which is different. I've never trained in it so I'll let him explain it.

Another great thing I find about BJJ classes is that its up to you how far you want to push it. If you want to train at 90, there's always someone there willing to step it up. If you want to take it handy, no-one will have a problem slowing things down and helping you along with your technique.

If I've missed anything out that you need clarification on just let me know.

Colm

Your bang on colm, i train in Jiu Jitsu (have training in 2 hours..)

Erm, BJJ does not seem a lot different to what we practise to be honest. We do everything that was in that article..

Crap cant think of words for this but ill try : 2 of our lads went out to a seminar with one of the Gracies. They are brown and blue belts. I was training with one of them and he was telling me how the 2 of them pretty much destroyed everyone they went up against, that the training we do seems to be a lot tougher than other clubs.

This may sound fat headed, but when anyone comes back from a competition at our club, they are usually in top 3 , if not top 4...

Also that article makes out that BJJ is not an asian art. BJJ is a form of JiuJitsu. JiuJitsu was used by the Samurai (and before) in Japan.

So BJJ is the family's teaching of the japanese martial art..

Originally posted by Unpossible
    can you guys explain what Brazilian/JuJitsu involve? as in is it like TKD? Judo? Is there weapons training? Im interested in joining a JJ club but id like to know whats involved.

webwannabe why are you so aggressive towards the guy?

Unpossible. JJ is like judo except there is strikes involved. There is however no JiuJitsu competitions, as they are quite frankly too vicous(Certain throws we practise can break someones arm, before they hit the ground..)

We train with the Bo staff (4 ft staff) , Sword (Red oak) and Tonfas, tonfas are kind of like the American police bat, they look like |-

Unpossible. JJ is like judo except there is strikes involved.
    Hmm, Im doing judo at the moment and am planning to do some others when college starts in september. I don't think we have a BJJ club but there is a JJ club.

Anyways thanks for the advice

yeh no problem, but from what i read in that article, our training seems to be pretty identical to the BJJ, probably just the way our Sensae teaches it.

As in, he'd call someone into the middle to show a move, and he'd do the move and the person in the middle when they are puttin on resistance, if the move does not work fully, he would show us how to adapt, no one takes a fall type thing.

Originally posted by Unpossible
    Hmm, Im doing judo at the moment and am planning to do some others when college starts in september. I don't think we have a BJJ club but there is a JJ club.

Anyways thanks for the advice

Unpossible,

Where are you in College? UCD has a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu club which is open to all.

If you're in Galway, there's Point Blank Submissions.

well I was planning on transferring from tralee to maynooth, but Im in finland atm and have been offered a place in Koupio Polytechnic. There are a load of MA clubs here because in winter time everyone wants to keep active and its too cold to go outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey Colm,

Do you have to be a student in UCD to train in the club there?

Thanks,
    cheesedude

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Hey, I thought i'd comment on this whole thread.

I'm a BJJ practitioner and I believe it to be the most effective art known today. The Straight Blast Gym's philosophy is perfect. I 100% back the idea of constantly testing your skills in a real life emulated situation.

I studied tae kwon do for about 4 years and I never once felt that I could apply my training in a real life combat situation. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is an effective system and it works. I'd have no problem in a friendly spar with any MA to prove what I say.

As Colm pointed out, BJJ is the backbone of mixed martial arts. Without it, you won't last too long. You can throw all the kicks and punches you want in the world, but once your are in clinch range, you WILL be taken down and you WILL lose on the ground. This has been proven in every MMA & vale tudo competition worldwide.

BJJ is graded very differently that traditional martial arts. It emphasises solely on your ability, technique and skill unlike some other arts that will give you a belt because you paid for it or because you could perform a kata. That is why BJJ practitioners are highly respected in mma circuits.

However let's be frank, if you never test yourself and try to apply your skills in a real life simulated fight, how effective do you know your art will be? Look at any early MMA tournament before they studied BJJ and see how far people who studied traditional arts faired.

Advertisement