Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speakers Corner

Options
  • 28-04-2004 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

Don't know if there's already a thread about this, but anyhoo...

What do people think about the new 'Speakers Corner' set up for every sunday in Temple Bar? Will it just degenerate into a load of shouty shinners lambasting our decadent pro-british ways?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Well, the guy that's set it up is Ronan O'Snodaigh - brother of Sinn Féin TD Aengus O'Snodaigh, so I'd guess you might be correct.

I'd love to go up there and lambast the Sinn Féin and their terrorist wing, the IRA. But if Sinn Féin's history is to go by, they don't really believe in free-speech, so I'm not sure what might happen if I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Redleslie

Originally posted by ReefBreak
    they don't really believe in free-speech,
    Apparently you don't either you dead hard bastard you.
    I wish I was in the Riot Squad on monday. Crack some posh/hippy/commie heads. ;);)

Originally posted by Redleslie
    Apparently you don't either you dead hard bastard you.
    You may have been a bit slow to detect it, but the different of course was that I was joking when talking about cracking some posh commie heads. Whereas Sinn Féin has a policy of abducting, torturing and murdering those that speak out against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

You may have been a bit slow to detect it, but the different of course was that I was joking when talking about cracking some posh commie heads. Whereas Sinn Féin has a policy of abducting, torturing and murdering those that speak out against them.
    Sinn Fein has this policy does it? Maybe you would like to backup this assertian with some relevant linkage, or, withdraw this comment.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Is anyone speaking here protected from the wrath of libel law? Could I go up there and declare something potentially libelous without fear of recrimination? Are libel laws in operation in Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park? I was there once and some woman was defending Hitler's racial policies to an argumentative before-he-was-all-that-famous-and-only-a-normal-newsreader Martin Bashir. It was amusing. Would love if we were free to rant without recrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

You may have been a bit slow to detect it, but the different of course was that I was joking when talking about cracking some posh commie heads.

And that you are joking is clear how, exactly?

I mean...if I saw someone who - like you - has made comments like this on more than one occasion and on seperate threads, I'd be inclined to assume that they were actually voicing a genuine opinion.

Or is this just a joke you feel obliged to trot out at every opportunity because its so damned funny or something?
    Whereas Sinn Féin has a policy of abducting, torturing and murdering those that speak out against them.

Really? It would seem to me that Sinn Fein has no shortage of critics, including yourself. When were you last abducted, tortured, or murdered by them? Or does their policy not extend to you? Indeed, there would appear to be no shortage of critics that their policy doesn't seem to extend to. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I'm having severe difficulty recalling the last person who this alleged policy didn't exempt.

Or was that comment just a joke too?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Whereas Sinn Féin has a policy of abducting, torturing and murdering those that speak out against them.

LOL,

I would love to see proof of that????:rolleyes:

Originally posted by ixoy
    Is anyone speaking here protected from the wrath of libel law? Could I go up there and declare something potentially libelous without fear of recrimination? Are libel laws in operation in Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park? I was there once and some woman was defending Hitler's racial policies to an argumentative before-he-was-all-that-famous-and-only-a-normal-newsreader Martin Bashir. It was amusing. Would love if we were free to rant without recrimination.
    Don't know about here (Is it not called speakers square as opposed to speakers corner??) But in London you cannot be prosecuted for anything said on speakers corner. However you may not slander the royal family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

So, what does anyone think of this new speaker's corner thread?

Is it a discussion about the idea of a speaker's corner in Dublin, or is it just another excuse for a Sinn Féin bashing thread?

Fair enough, I take it back - SF may not have that policy. But I'm sure their terrorist wing has that policy - they certainly did before. There are plenty of examples I could give, in fact Danny Morrison may have the complete list.

As for the "crack some posh hippy heads" comment, I thought it was fairly obviously tongue-in-cheek at the time, perhaps others didn't see that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Klaus

In defence of the speekers square, while Dathai Doolan spoke on sunday, so did Richard Boyd Barret and a man running for Fine Gael in the local elections, think his name was John Barry. The organiser also stated that it was indended for free speech and hoped that it would not just be used by those on the left to express their views.

The problem on Sunday came from the Quays bar as it pumped out twee Irish folk into the square, drowning the words of a man speeking in Irish about the need to encourage use of the language and how it is an important part of our culture.

As for the "crack some posh hippy heads" comment, I thought it was fairly obviously tongue-in-cheek at the time, perhaps others didn't see that way.

When someone makes a comment like that once, its possible to take it any which way.

When they start repeating it, one becomes suspicious....

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    So, what does anyone think of this new speaker's corner thread?

Is it a discussion about the idea of a speaker's corner in Dublin, or is it just another excuse for a Sinn Féin bashing thread?

Did you not know that every thread where SF or the IRA is mentioned becomes a SF bashing thread, I mentioned this in the admin forum.

Originally posted by bonkey
    When someone makes a comment like that once, its possible to take it any which way.

When they start repeating it, one becomes suspicious....

jc
    I only remember saying it once...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Sinn Fein has this policy does it? Maybe you would like to backup this assertian with some relevant linkage, or, withdraw this comment.

Isn't that substantially the gist of the report of the IMC?

Anyway, point proven, Daithi Doolan straight to speakers corner to harangue passers by with his chuckie nonsense.

Apparently they originally wnated to do this in Stephen's Green, but thankfully a sensible regulation dating from British rule bans the public discussion of politics in that park to ensure it remains an oasis of calm.

I personally think Speakers Corner should be on friday nights, so Doolan can try and 'convert' the English stag parties. That I would pay to watch.

I'm glad you posted each of those - I'd forgotten I'd attached a ;););) to each post. That was my subtle hint that I just might be taking the píss.

I only remember saying it once...
    Owned :D:D

Originally posted by magpie
    Isn't that substantially the gist of the report of the IMC?
    Originally posted by Hobart
    Maybe you would like to backup this assertian with some relevant linkage, or, withdraw this comment.:rolleyes:

I'm glad you posted each of those - I'd forgotten I'd attached a ;););) to each post. That was my subtle hint that I just might be taking the píss.

Yes. "Might be", which automatically implies "but also might not be"

Any of the following look familiar to you :
    Humour is not unreasonable, but please bear in mind that the written word conveys less information than the spoken. What you mean in jest may be taken seriously.

Also, bear in mind that this is not a comedy forum - so keep it to a reasonable and relevant amount.

Putting a smiley at the end of an insult does not make it ok.

Now, despite it not being clearly and explicitly stated....apply a small bit of lateral thinking to the first and third points I've just quoted there to your repeated comment wishing for a chance to "deal with" some rioters, and you might see where the problem is.

jc

• Advertisement

Stick to the point FFS, don't turn this into one of these pedantic boards "but you said, then he said" playground exercises in semantics.

Speakers Corner, good or bad?

Incidentally, if you want some relevant linkage on the whole kidnapping, abductions, shootings, beatings and Sinn Fein thing try this article on the IMC report, which states that leading Sinn Fein figures are also leading IRA figures.

So if there is any sort of trouble, you won't find film of gardai beating up people whose views you disagree with even a little bit amusing then?

nice avatar leslie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Simply putting ;););) after everything doesn't make it okay. If it did, constantly saying this kind of thing would be just fine:
    I'd like to crack open ReefBreak's head and use it as an ashtray ;););)

But it isn't so I should be banned.

Stick to the point FFS, don't turn this into one of these pedantic boards "but you said, then he said" playground exercises in semantics.

Speakers Corner, good or bad?

Incidentally, if you want some relevant linkage on the whole kidnapping, abductions, shootings, beatings and Sinn Fein thing try this article on the IMC report, which states that leading Sinn Fein figures are also leading IRA figures.
    What? You post something with one point.

You subsequently edit that post with linkage which has nothing got to so with your previous assertian with regards to SF and violence.

And then you post the above, with regard to an avatar?? **BOGGLE** I'll take my leave of this thread and leave you to it :rolleyes:

nice avatar leslie
    That's me in my local when McDowell eventually brings in the drinking ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

website is to come

i went it was good, although i little one sided...

rossa said so too...

although i think they were mostly left antiwar but the varience within thos people was quite wide...

i don't think you can automatically presume somone political leanings cocs of there family...

the pub noise was annoying a bet the pub owner thinks he has a right to blast music out of his pub, it was live trad, which was a good thing but its was jsut tourist attraction

i didn't like it when there was more then one speaker

whats it like at hyde park methinks right wing don't like freespeech so they'll tedn to dismiss it

website is to come

i went it was good, although i little one sided...

rossa said so too...

although i think they were mostly left antiwar but the varience within thos people was quite wide...

i don't think you can automatically presume somone political leanings cocs of there family...

the pub noise was annoying a bet the pub owner thinks he has a right to blast music out of his pub, it was live trad, which was a good thing but its was jsut tourist attraction

i didn't like it when there was more then one speaker

whats it like at hyde park methinks right wing don't like freespeech so they'll tedn to dismiss it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its a decent enough idea but only if the libel laws are relaxed for the speakers corner. Something akin to dail privledge. People need to be given a right enjoyed by their so called representitives only if its to a bunch of drunks and students.

Actually the right wing tend to be rather anti government and pro individual as opposed to pro government and anti individual which would be a characteristic of the left - anarcho-capitalism being the most extreme example of the right wing whereby governments are abolished and replaced by individuals forming corporations and interacting on the *really* free market. If anything they would be the staunchest supporters of free speech. The SWP types who try to shut up public speakers ( I saw this a couple of times when I was in college, most memorably when that holocaust apologist Irving was giving a speech in Cork) they dont agree with on the other hand.....

The problem is that the left wing have catchall phrases for people they dont agree with... Nazi/Racist/Imperialist and so on. Hence you dont find too many people volunteering to have abuse hurled at them. On the other hand people tend to go with positive reinforcement and conformity, which has pretty much helped the left to be come the established anti establishment viewpoint.

Maybe speakers corner will entertain a wide variety of views, but I doubt it. Most will be off the tedious Bush=Satan variety but if libel is relaxed then at least the opportunity for actual free speech will be there - assuming youre allowed speak without interruption that is.

• Advertisement

i shouldn't have necessarily said right wing don't like freespeech but what i will say is that the extreme left and the extreme right don't like freespeech

please don't use the swp as example of the left wing but what you say about them is correct....

the point you make about leftwings problems with freespeech is interesting i personally think when these extremist come to colleges etc to speak they should be allowed speak and anyone why doesn't like what he saying protest outside and try to express why they think he/she wrong... *edit* but the reasons they would give for preventing these people from speeking at all is summed up in the quote you have there from goebbals

the thing about slander laws ... it will never happen unfortunately the only reason its allowed in hyde park is the law was made hundred of years ago...

i do await the day an anti-immigration person speak at the square and i fear some ppl will react badly

of course they are laws covering incitment to riot or racial hated (whatelse)
    which apply to everyone so in theory alot of what groups like the bnp say should be banned under those laws.... as these groups specialy say the better then non-whites but equal rights for all creeds and colour are enshrined in the constition, i can't think of a equivalent example for extreme leftwingers.. perhaps killing the bourgouis or something...?

Advertisement