Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home based business set up.

Options
  • 28-04-2004 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi, in about 4 weeks I intend to launch a web based business, initially from home. At present I have a domestic ISDN line and use UTVXL 56k.

I know about lo-call numbers and will be getting one of these. I will be using a commercial host for my domain.

Basically

1.I want to keep my present home number out of the business and private.

2. I want an 1890 number with two lines, ie. being able to take 2 calls at once.

3. I need a broadband connection, always on line, which won't interfere with any phone lines.

4. I need an electronic credit card debit machine. (Can I be speaking to someone on the phone and debit their CC?)

5. I need a dedicated fax line with dedicated number, not lo-call.

Can somebody recommend the exact technical requirements I should be requesting from Eircom, without them over or under supplying me?

I find their salespersons tech knowledge base very low when speaking with them, and I get an "oversell feeling"!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

with all due respect... you're launching a business and looking for basic phone/internet/comms information on a public bulletin board ?

think carefully about this : the answers you get are worth exactly what you pay for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

But... fair play to anyone prepared to go for it.

1.I want to keep my present home number out of the business and private.
    3. I need a broadband connection, always on line, which won’t interfere with any phone lines.

on the first phone line (pair of wires coming into your house) get it upgraded to DSL and use the number for your private home line while running broadband on it.

2. I want an 1890 number with two lines, ie. being able to take 2 calls at once.
    5. I need a dedicated fax line with dedicated number, not lo-call.
    4. I need an electronic credit card debit machine. (Can I be speaking to someone on the phone and debit their CC?)

You could get a hi-speed line on the second pair of wires coming into your house.
    this will give you 2 discrete phone numbers and you could put the fax with a dedicated number on one of them.
    You could make two calls at once but that would mean that you could not make fax / credit card scans while both lines were busy. So you might need to run a third pair of wires which create a second hi-speed line which has 2 distinct numbers : 1 for fax (dedicated number) and 2nd for credit card machine (which can double as a backup outgoing phone line if you need to make calls while your two 1890 numbers are working at the same time.

Good luck ! (but get someone who knows what they're talking about to advise you !) ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Rent a serviced office.

(I love it when people don't answer the question)

Advertisement