Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to O2 Prepaid, any gotchas?

Options
  • 28-04-2004 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

I have gotten sick of paying a load of standing charges for my O2 post pay account so I am thinking of changing to a prepaid account to save some notes. The question is do you lose any service functionality on O2 prepaid? As in can I still do the following?

Send SMS internationally, and at what cost.
    Send/recieve SMS when Roaming abroad.
    Can I send MMS in Ireland and at what cost?

I have ahad a look at the O2 web site but I cannot see any clear details on this! Any other gotcha's people have come across when trying to do this would be much appreciated!

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brendor

I have just done this myself for the exact same reason!

Yes, you have all the functionality of the bill phone.

Note you have to give them one months notice in writing that you want to terminate the bill pay phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

nice one! Cheers

I have just rung them up and asked to switch and they are sending me out a new SIM, maybe they will make me wait a month from when I get the SIM?

J

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

Guys I just switched to meteor and its fantastic. I was o2 and used to turn my nose up at meteor.

Since I've switched my credit lasts twice as long.

+I can now text my friends for free, they are meteor so I can send sms and mms.
    Its only 9c to text other networks. 15c to text other countries, much much cheaper

+My call charges are so much less. During peak rate I can call anywhere in europe, landline or mobile cheaper than you can call your friend sitting beside you.

+I'm going to america in a month and I can roam there. O2 and voda only let their prepay customers roam in europe. I can roam anywhere. Africa, asia, south america...

+ They give me free credit each month for topping up! I'm getting €12 next week

+Their coverage is great! I live in dublin and its perfect. So far I've travelled to wicklow and cavan. Perfect coverage http://www.meteor.ie/network/index.html

Your crazy going with o2. In Ireland we continually get over charged for everything and we pay it. Eircom, voda and o2 are rip off merchants but they are the most popular with people! Why? Does everyone just eat up there marketing?

You should definately switch over, your number will still be 086xxxxxxx

This message has been brought to you by the Meteor Appreciation Society.

;)

thanks for that, I'll look into them alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

The O2 website lists one or two US operators as roaming partners, so I presume you can roam there on a bill phone? Not sure about prepay though.

Meteor is definitely a good idea IF most of your friends/family are on the network. Outside of Dublin, however, thats not too likely. Still cant send MMS to other networks on Meteor?

• Advertisement

You can roam on O2 in the US no bother, pretty much any of the GSM networks over there will let you, I used AT&T Wireless and Cingular, the O2 wesite says you can roam to T-Mobile as well but I don't think I used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

Yeah you can roam in the US on a bill phone. Only the meteor prepay will let you roam outside europe. Meteor treat their prepay customers the same as their postpay customers. For example, I get dropped call compensation like bill pay customers, roam the world aswell!

MMS still can't be sent to other networks. Its gonna change soon though.

So far I've travelled all around Leinster and the signal has been perfect, although I was on main roads and in towns.

This crap pc in college is configured in some silly way! I'm not davknav, I'm stereo_steve but for some reason when I log davknav out, it says cookies cleared and then logs him in again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'm thinking of switching from my Vodafone Bill phone too. I might try Meteor. Personally over the last year the signal quality of Vodafone has been terrible and coverage has got worse some who. Initially I though it was my phone but then I heard every one else complaining about it.

Looks like Meteor is the way to go so!

As for your browser troulbes try clearing the history and the cache in the browser, might drop the cookie.

Advertisement