Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poland V Ireland(will contain scores)

• 28-04-2004 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

How do u think they are playing so far!

I think they are doing quite well for a young team! Miller looks a bit lost in the middle and Harte is being beaten to every header they throw out to there right player

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Er if this goes on any longer where going to lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

0-0 at half time

Backs to the wall!! couple of breaks and that is about it,.......talk about a home ref though!! feckin joke!! hopefully Big Brian will sort out Miller!! even though I hate to say it Kinsella is Irelands best player so far!! making a couple of great challenges

Something better happen and fast if poland scores just 1 goal its over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Er if this goes on any longer where going to lose

Are we that bad ?:dunno:

Yeah dont look like scoring at all! maybe a goal(hopefully Irelands one) will make it a better game!! Poland dont look like any Brazil though!! Ireland In Charlton era!! boot it up there most of the times!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    Are we that bad ?:dunno:

No not bad ....where defending quite well tbh its just where not pushing up at all we REALLY miss duffer and robbie

Im hopeing Andy reid will kick in and create something for us he will have to do it all on his own though the 2 front lads dont look like scoreing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    hopefully Big Brian will sort out Miller!!

another match to show how overrated he is...

thanx bizmark, keep us posted:)

Cant really blame Miller.....still a young player!! remember his full deput for the Irish!! could have been an easier game for him!! still must agree with Bizmark....defending well and as I said in earlier thread Doherty is playin well! God I love it when Im right hahahaha

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    Cant really blame Miller.....

Can really this is his chance to shine No roy no Duff etc and hes not doing much.

No changes to ireland side ......2 to the polish side not sure who though was out getting tea :dunno:

• Advertisement

poland sub

Dudek off for Borus (if i spelt that wrong tuff!!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

i think the score will be 2-1 to Poland. I want Ireland to win but i can see Poland beating them.

Alan lee off for Graham barrett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Any chance of Jason Byrne getting on then...

Shay given gone off for Colgan

If I was Andy Reid I would tackle the Ref!! My excuse!! sorry though you were from Poland!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Douglas on for his debut - Go on brian give Jason Byrne and Micheal Doyle a run for the last few minutes

Andy reid and Doherty off Andy o brian and Douglas on

Originally posted by seansouth
    Any chance of Jason Byrne getting on then...

Hes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Full Time

0 - 0 :dunno:

• Advertisement

Meh we defended well with so many players missing we did pritty well

Good result! proud of the Irish team! very young players who have never seen this sort of atmosphere! defence was great and we will need that in France and Switherland! Still think Ref was wearing a Poland Jersey! so was linesman! see da John O Shea ball near the end! Come on UEFA! I know its a friendly but thats a joke!

Must say so far have been impressed with Brain although whenever he talks I always feels that he is tryin to sell u a microwave or something! haha!

RTE said Reid played well, showed invention & imagation, something good to take out of the match.

Also said that Miller showed "glimpses" of his capability, that to me sounds like he need played poorly and needs a lot more matches.

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    Also said that Miller showed "glimpses" of his capability, that to me sounds like he need played poorly and needs a lot more matches.

I forgot he was even in the team at times tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

My MOM was Cunnigham, again. He played well as usual and kept the team calm. O'Shea played his best match for Ireland IMO, he wasn't outstanding but it was certainly his best performance for Ireland. Stephen Reid played well too and always wanted the ball. Harte and Maybury didn't have very good games. Doc was OK. Reid was our only creator but didn't play to his best. Miller and Kinsella done their jobs but thats about it. Lee was shíte, Morrison was OK.

I don't see the point in substitutions for the sake of it. We have 5 more friendlies left, we will learn a lot more if we make few substitutions in all 5 games. The players could have done a lot better. Its amazing to think that with Duff on the pitch each player would have put about 10% more in just because of his presence.

It was a good resul considering we had 16 players unavailable. Thats 1 defeat and 8 clean sheets in the last 16 matches, not bad at all.

Romania won 5-1 today so we have a tough game next.

BTW - In our last few games the only central midfielder that got much of the ball was Kilbane, lets hope Keane changes that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I tohught Maybury was absolutely dire when he came on, He must have given away about 4/5 chances just due to his own poor play. Letting players get past him far too easily......I know theres not lots of players in that position for ireland but surely theres better than maybury?? in terms of back up players.

Didn't enjoy the game overall, good that we could blood young players, miller did show glimpses but didnt think there was much of a drive forward for anyone from midfield. Look forward to the squad for the Romania game now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

Pretty poor match. Cunningham is my MOM as well. Very solid at the back.

Disappointed with Miller and Andy Reid in particular. Reid got caught in possession far too much and didn't use the ball well at all. I still think he's very over-rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

OMG that was terrible, it was worst than watching paint dry.

We had no creativity what so ever, Miller didin't even look like he wanted the ball, Kinsella was the only one to get stuck in.

Morrisson gave young Lee a hard time most of the game.

Only 2 players to impress were Kinsella and Barrett when he came on, I thought Barrett looked very good oh and Cunningham was the normal reliable captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by JippoKelly
    Disappointed with Miller and Andy Reid in particular. Reid got caught in possession far too much and didn't use the ball well at all. I still think he's very over-rated.
    Believe me, neither of those players are overrated. You try and play with that amount of pressure on your shoulders. Before Miller signed for United he was superb but hasn't played his best with the Celtic fans getting on his back. There's a couple of Forest fans on boards and I'm sure they'll tell you Reid isn't overrated. Give them time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Boring game but I have to say with a few more games under their belts Miller, Andy Reid & Alan Lee could all push for a first team place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Originally posted by JippoKelly
    Pretty poor match. Cunningham is my MOM as well. Very solid at the back.

I would'nt say Reid is very over-rated but he is not as good as some people on here think he is.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Believe me, neither of those players are overrated. You try and play with that amount of pressure on your shoulders. Before Miller signed for United he was superb but hasn't played his best with the Celtic fans getting on his back. There's a couple of Forest fans on boards and I'm sure they'll tell you Reid isn't overrated. Give them time.

I never said Miller was over-rated. I was very impressed with his performances in Celtics CL games and he is a good player and looks to be a great prospect. Alex Ferguson thinks he's very promising, so who am I to argue with that?

And to say Reid is very over-rated is probably an exaggeration on my part. However, I've seen very little in his play at international level so far to suggest the hype surrounding him is justified. And no disrespect to Forest, but even David Connolly looks a good player at times in Divison 1. It will, however, be interesting to see how Reid adjusts to Premiership football if he moves in the summer.

And to the 'you try and play with that amount of pressure on your shoulders' comment, pressure is an inherent part of modern professional football. Whether the pressure is justified or not isn't relevant, but players have to be able to cope with it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

amazing the amount of negative comments about miller. just because he's going to manu. if he was staying at celtic there'd be nothing said.

with no duff or keane midfield was always going to be weak. just wait til miller gets in beside keane, he'll have a rock to fall back on and will allow him to be more adventurous. also keane will guide him and give him an earful should miller underperform.

Yeah smemon, I'm also looking forward to a Miller-Keane midfield partnership. Miller reminds me a lot of a young Roy Keane in his play - he's not afraid to regularly break from midfield looking to support the strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Andy Reid was very poor, had alot of the ball and did nothing with it. Miller didn't get much chance to do much, looked like he was holding and Reid was supposed to be the creative one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Whats with all this given out about Miller , he was always looking for the ball and looking to make 1-2 's but no-one would link up with him . Defensively Kinsella was his normal self , but as usually no creativity .

A. Reid showed glimpses and Alan Lee was very poor .
    Barret seemed very eager and looks promising , he was winning a lot of header too and he's 1 of our smallest players .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

i wouldnt judge miller too harshly hes going through something a lot of players go through at that stage of their career,a dip in form. in a few months he will be back to his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I didn't think Miller was at the races at all tonight, he didn't make any real tackles and I didn't think he showed for the ball all that much.

I'm not saying the guy isn't talented, if fergie decided to sign him he obviously has great talent.

But I think it's far too soon for him to be starting in an international game, I know Kerr was forced by the amount of injuries he had, but I'd put Keane, Kinsella, Holland, Healy and Kavangh all ahead of him for Ireland.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

In one word... BORING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Did Jason Byrne do anything when he got on?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He ran after a ball that went out of play... Oh and he headed the ball after it was kicked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I didnt see the match - but most of the people who had and have posted on the forest boards have said that he did not play that well in an very boring match

which is what most of the above have said :)

Advertisement