Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ruud Van on his way out?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by Imposter
    You do realise that the question was asked in relation to this statement that you made don't you?

In that context it was a valid question.

I've got to head off for the weekend now Imposter but just wanted to post this before I went to clarify things....

You said: Fergie should leave because he made 2 'blunders'.
    I said: The 2 blunders were not really his and do you still want the most succcessful manager in United history to leave?
    You said: Just because he's the most successful manager, would you feel he's untouchable if united were close to relegation.
    I said: No, but we're not near relegation - so I felt that was a moot point.

My point wasn't 'he's the most successful manager in United history so never be questioned or leave', my point was 'it's unfair to point out 2 things out of his control and say he should leave because of them'.

Hang on, I've just re-read that and it doesn't really clarify anything at all!! ;)

@ seansouth, the lack of progress in the CL since '99 has been frustrating for me too. I do think this is a transitional season though - this was the season where we brought in a lot of young players, most untested at a high level. Hopefully this season will be a bedding down time for them and some will show better form next year?

@ The Rooster, yeah it's impossible to really out an exact £ valuation on a player. I just though we underpriced him but that's just a personal opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I hear a bunch of knackers have offered them 10 horses for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I hear a bunch of knackers have offered them 10 horses for him!
    For who...Van Nistelrooy?

That would be swapping 10 horses for 1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by crowl
    end of argument.
    if experience is anything to go by, it won't be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by PHB
    Is that if you win?
    I think you're maths might be a bit off :)

First of all yes second of all how are my maths off if i didnt even guess how much gate recepits would be ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I still think the idea of him going to Real is nuts. Real atm still have Ronaldo + Raul, with Portillo and Guti still around. Morientes is still on their books (might be gone, don't know) So they need ANOTHER striker!!

If you ask me, they'll be looking for a midfielder this summer. My money's on Nedved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by seansouth
    For who...Van Nistelrooy?

That would be swapping 10 horses for 1 :D

That really wasn't my point.. ahem ahem :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Its probably a bit late to reply to this thread, but better late than never:

Someone said to me:

> Regarding Beckhams sale lat year I would agrre with you but for the fact that Ferguson wanted to
    > sign Ronaldinho as his replacement. If he had been successful in doing this IMO united would have
    > been strengthening their squad and Beckhams sale would not be a issue now.

Its true that Ronaldinho probably would be equivalent to Beckham in terms of adding to any team and having him may have improved Man U’s season. However, in the wheeling and dealing that goes on you cant expect to sign someone until you actually have. So Man U should have held off on the sale of Beckham until they had Ronaldinho’s signing in the bag, if that was their intent. Man U were lucky to get C.Ronaldo in the aftermath of Beckham as they only saw him in a friendly warm-up match in pre-season. Many have said that Beckham was superfluous to their needs. When a team is in CL finals two years in a row and when better players are comiong into the team, that would be a situation for off-loading. This was not the case at Man U - it was yet again a clear example of a relationship breakdown between a player and Alex Ferguson.

> I agree to a degree that united were lucky In 99, Its not very often a team scores 2 goals in injury time

I don’t think its ever happened in any other top tournament or league. The infamous Arsenal 0-2 win over Liverpool in the league was settled in the 88th minute. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone any cups or leagues that have been won any later than that before a final whistle (whether “90th” or “120th”).

but they created some of that luck themselves with their attitude.

I agree that their attitude from the 85th minute onwards was way better than Bayerns. But Bayern hit the woodwork several times during the match and made the most chances so by the end they should have been well home and dry. Any neutral person watching that match would have come away thinking that Man U stole it from Bayern. Many Man U fans have taken off their rose-tinted glasses since and are seeing that too as Man U’s dominance of Europe failed to materialise – they have not reached a final since and it wasn’t as if they were knocking on the door very often before that. Just look at Valencia as an example to see how difficult it can be to win this competition. In all fairness, that win by Man U was a blip.

> United were also understrength for that match with both Keane and scholes sidelined.

I agree that Man U missed Keane badly (I didnt realise that Scholes was not there, although in 1999 he was less of an influential player than he is now). I felt sorry for Roy that he missed that final, imagine the likes of Solskjaer getting to play and feature and Keane not. That missed night of glory has been wrankling in Roy's head since and makes him outburst from time to time about his colleagues just not being good enough.

> I wouldn,t be surprised to see RVN sold in the summer. He needs a playmaker to creat his goals and
    > United do noyt have such aplayer at the moment. United either have to buy one or buy a striker in
    > the Henry mould that can create as well as score, If the opt for option 2 ruud may well go.
    > I also believe the relationship between fergie and Ruud has soured to a degree and the only outcome of that
    > scenario in the past has been the sale of the player concerned. If ruud is sold I would asssume that
    > they will get enought money to replace him and strengthen in other areas as well.

I don’t think a manager would think like that. No-one is going to find another Henry falling off a back of a lorry. They just don’t exist. Henry’s style of play is quite unique. But all players have strengths and weaknesses and Ruud has skills in and around the box that Thierry doesn’t have. Ruud makes things look simple and scores mainly "simple" goals from short-range. At this point in time, Man U need him, so the only reason he would be sold if he doesn’t really want to stay/has fallen out with Ferguson or someone is paying a huge fortune for him - everyone has price. The public don’t really know what is the real situation as it is advantageous to everyone to ensure that Ruud looks to be settled at the club. Then if a large bid is needed to “pry” him away from Man U, everyone (Man U, Ruud, agents) are better off. An unsettled player is much cheaper to acquire.

> There are rumours tha Viaduka to United
    > is a done deal and fergie is also a big fan of smith of leeds who will move if they go down.

I cant see that happening. Viduka is ok but will probably end up at a mid-table team, like a Villa. Smith has some talent but is tempermental and blows hot and cold. He could end up at another club that is trying to get ambitious, such as a Birmingham. Man U and indeed Liverpool may be in the mix, but I don’t think it would be a good move for either of them. Newcastle might as Shearer must start slowing down soon. Chelsea could easily pick him up for cover, but whether Chelsea spend 100m+ again is unknown and 10 sub appearances for Smith may not suit him. He is as talented as a Gudjonsen I think so he would have suited them this year, maybe instead of Mutu.

Overall, getting new players in is difficult for any club.

-redspider

• Advertisement
Advertisement