Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Problems any Solution?

Options
  • 29-04-2004 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just a message to warn people about a possible new virus. I Started getting problems 3 days ago which meant my computer and internet connection slowed down to a crawl. All my anti virus software and firewall software were disabled (Norton AV & Zonealarm) By this bug, and then my internet explorer refused to show certain web pages, and kept redirecting me to dodgy search engines. I Ran all of the online virus scans and also spybot search and destroy, Ad-Aware and Trojan Hunter. Nothing was found. I Also Updated my windows system and the Internet explorer update online, but to no avail. now i cannot open system restore or the search facility in windows and when i run spybot the system hangs now AAARrrrrgggghh!!! Ive posted my probs on numerous boards to try find a solution but to no avail. Any solutions anyone or is it format time!!

thanks

ft9t9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Sounds like your pc is riddled.. I would format it if I was you..not much help I know but it is the best solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Or dont touch your system for a minimum of 2 weeks then try an online virus scan again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Download stinger:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ (you'll probably have to do this form another PC)

small enough to fit on to floppy.

download CWshredder:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html

and while you are there, grab hijackthis as well. both will fit onto another floppy.

You may want to get adaware (www.lavasoft.com ) to go hand in hand with spybot.

Boot PC into safemode:
    Power on, start pressing F8 as the PC starts about once every second as the PC starts up, select safemode from the menu.

Copy stinger to desktop (and the rest), run stinger, run cwshredder, run Hijackthis - be careful what you delete with hijackthis, if you are not sure, post the log file result to the boards and get an opinion from here.

hopefully that will work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Hi LoLth,

thanks for the ideas, but unfortunatly i tried all of tthem before and nothing either. Ive now restored mindows and deleted everything from the comp exceptt essentials and all is back to normal. It was a very very unusual one, and i hope noone else gets it!! Thanks guys

ft9t9

Advertisement