Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling my scooter advice?

Options
  • 29-04-2004 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm going to be selling my Vespa ET2 in the next few weeks. There are, however, a few minor faults with it and I'm concerned they'll bring the potential price right down. The faults are: horn button not working, main headlight beam not working, lock to under saddle storage area broken (knackers), probably needs new front tyre and break pads.

Would be worth my while getting theese things fixed before selling?

Thanks,
    BM.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

A lot depends on how much its gonna cost and how much you are lookin for..

Like any vehicle, a potential buyer is probably going to inspect it closely and if they
    find these things then they will want to cost of repairing them off the price..

The things like the horn button, main beam and lock are small enough things and
    could be replaced very easily and possibly cheaply if you can do it yourself..

The brake pads again, probably cheap enough to replace but only do this if feel
    you know what you are doing as the results of doing this badly could be fatal..

What I would do, is bring the moped to a local garage who services these and
    basically ask what it would cost to get all the things wrong done, give it the once
    over and maybe even give it a service, then this will make it stand out from the
    rest of the similar bikes on the market as the new buyer will be getting a bike thats
    essentially maintenance free until the next service is required..

Just outta curiosity, how much are you looking for for the moped?

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Thanks ToxicPaddy,

The scooter is a 2002 vespa ET2 with around 7000 mileage. I was hoping for around 1500 euro. But I know I won't get that price if the little niggly bits n peices arn't fixed.

Thanks for your advice.
    BM.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

how much of it you need ot do up depends on who you want to seel it to too, if you sellin to garage they'd do those bits up themselves regardless.

BTW make sure you clena the bike up nice too, makes it look cared for, use petrol to take the tar off the wheells and engine and polish it up nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

re: Horn & Main beam - sounds like maybe all you need are two new fuses. Check your fusebox under the seat and take out the two fuses marked for horn and headlight main beam and hold up to the light. You should be able to tell if the contact in the fuse has blown or is still intact. If fuse is gone 25c in a bike shop will replace.

Brake pads not expensive on a scooter, in the region of €30.

New tyre and getting that underseat lock fixed will be your biggest expenses. I'd leave the tryre to the new owner but get that lock checked out, it would turn away a potential buyer more than anything else you've mentioned.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Originally posted by MojoMaker
    re: Horn & Main beam - sounds like maybe all you need are two new fuses. Check your fusebox under the seat and take out the two fuses marked for horn and headlight main beam and hold up to the light. You should be able to tell if the contact in the fuse has blown or is still intact. If fuse is gone 25c in a bike shop will replace.

Brake pads not expensive on a scooter, in the region of €30.

New tyre and getting that underseat lock fixed will be your biggest expenses. I'd leave the tryre to the new owner but get that lock checked out, it would turn away a potential buyer more than anything else you've mentioned.

Let us know how you get on.

Cool, thanks for the advice - I'll check it out. The lock replacement I'm told is around 25 euro, so that shoulden't break the bank either.

BM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement